bangorballetboy. Thank you for the schedule.Perhaps I imagined it, but did not the performance on the 30th January start out with a gap in the casting for the Two Pigeons? I thought that the problem was caused by not wanting to cast the same dancer as the lead in Rhapsody and in Two Pigeons.

Am I the only one to find it a little strange that Zucchetti is now due to dance the main role in Rhapsody and the Gipsy Man on the 28th January? I know that his role in Two Pigeons is not as long as that of the Young Man and it may not seem as demanding but the solo in the first act requires him to provide a real contrast to the Young Man; his movements need to be as strong at the end of the solo as they were at the beginning and they need to be expansive. Even allowing for the interval and the fact that the Gipsy Man does not have too much to do until his big solo it seems rather a lot to ask.I am surprised that they haven't taken the opportunity to cast someone else, if only for the one performance.As to just how big the solo needs to be,there is a story that Ashley Page told about being made to rehearse in a biker jacket by Ashton to get the expansiveness of gesture that Ashton wanted.

I am looking forward to both runs of Two Pigeons this season and the accompanying ballets but I would not be surprised to see a few changes in the advertised casts on the basis of practicality,if nothing else, as far as Pigeons is concerned.Rhapsody is a real challenge. The fact that the company can muster three dancers for the lead male role is impressive,to say the least, it was after all a ballet which left a lot of people wondering who would dance it after the original cast.The idea that Ashton presents technical challenges still comes as a surprise to many.It's partly to do with the age of his ballets of course and the idea that technique has improved so much in the last thirty plus years but it also has something to do with the idea that has grown up that unlike MacMillan,Ashton is safe small scale and unchallenging.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the casting for Two Pigeons on 28th January evening was the same as 23rd January evening, i.e. Choe/Zuchetti in Rhapsody and Stix-Brunell/Ball in Two Pigeons, I'll make sure to book for the 23rd now!

There certainly appears to have been a swap since from the first list was issued.

Done Bluebird.

Sorry, Janet.  I only just saw this.  It had been pointed out to me that Jan 26 was actually there, on the same line as Jan 23 as the casts are the same.  Since I was still able to edit my original post, I deleted it.  Sorry for any confusion caused!

Edited by Bluebird

• 4 months later...

I just noticed that cast changes for the Wheeldon triple bill were announced yesterday evening:

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/cast-changes-after-the-rain-and-within-the-golden-hour-on-13-17-february-and-10-march-2016

"A number of cast changes for After the Rain and Within the Golden Hour have been announced for performances on 13 and 17 February, and 10 March 2016.

Reece Clarke will replace Matthew Golding in After the Rain and Yuhui Choe will replace Laura Morera in Within the Golden Hour.

In addition, Valentino Zucchetti will join the cast of Within the Golden Hour."

Edited by Bluebird

• 4 weeks later...
Morera has been replaced by Choe in Within the Golden Hour http://www.roh.org.uk/productions/within-the-golden-hour-by-christopher-wheeldon (13/17 Feb and 10 Mar)

--

i imagine that Morera is concentrating in getting back to full fitness for Frankenstein especially as she'll not wish to wish both a full length world premiere created on her and a cinema broadcast / DVD (Kaneko was great but such a pity she was k juried for the Pigei s relay). There's Giselle to consider too....