Just quickly, as I want to get back to take it all in, the RB's winter casting (not included in the ROH Magazine) is now on the ROH website, although one has to search under each production. The repertoire in question is, of course: Giselle, the Wheeldon Triple Bill, and Rhapsody/Two Pigeons

Some delights in store.

Edited by capybara

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just quickly, as I want to get back to take it all in, the RB's winter casting (not included in the ROH Magazine) is now on the ROH website, although one has to search under each production. The repertoire in question is, of course: Giselle, the Wheeldon Triple Bill, and Rhapsody/Two Pigeons

Some delights in store.

Marquez not cast in Giselle (although Salenko is). As she is not in Pigeons or Nutcracker either does anybody else think this means she will be leaving after Romeo and Juliet in the Autumn? I do think it is very sad that her performance schedule has been allowed to wither and although not invariably a favourite of mine I thought her Manon terrific and her Lise absolutely outstanding.

• Like 2

Sorry: tried to edit my opening post with the links but ran out of time. So here they are:

http://www.roh.org.uk/mixed-programmes/rhapsody-the-two-pigeons

http://www.roh.org.uk/mixed-programmes/after-the-rain-new-christopher-wheeldon-within-the-golden-hour

http://www.roh.org.uk/productions/giselle-by-peter-wright

http://www.roh.org.uk/seasons/2015-16/winter

Yep, repeats of the first round of casting for Two Pigeons.  I'd expected that Francesca Hayward might have been cast in that, until I saw she wasn't in the first run, and knew she couldn't be in the second if she was doing Rhapsody.

I think that the Stix Brunell/Ball combination is new isn't it  :) ?

No sign yet of the casting for the autumn run of Faun.

Edited by capybara

Marquez not cast in Giselle (although Salenko is). As she is not in Pigeons or Nutcracker either does anybody else think this means she will be leaving after Romeo and Juliet in the Autumn? I do think it is very sad that her performance schedule has been allowed to wither and although not invariably a favourite of mine I thought her Manon terrific and her Lise absolutely outstanding.

It's all the more disappointing that they're now hiring a guest for her former partner, I suppose another question is when will Iana Salenko formally be hired as a company member?

ETA: not that I don't enjoy seeing her dance.

Edited by A frog

Am very pleased that Morera and Cuthbertson are being given Giselle again, and of course thrilled at the prospect of seeing Osipova in what is my favourite role of hers so far.  Also delighted with the Nela/Vadim cast.

I am quite surprised that none of the young dancers who have been given so many other chances have been given Giselle. There are a few who I think could do it;  maybe Kevin doesn't feel they are ready yet. 

I was saying on another thread just this morning that I was disappointed at how little we will be seeing Marquez next season, and wondering why she hadn't been cast in Pigeons, but that maybe she would get a Giselle or two.  Sadly, I was wrong.  At this rate Salenko should just join the company and be done with it.  I guess family reasons would prevent a permanent move here.  If Roberta is leaving the company during the season (and this is purely me speculating) then I for one will be sorry to see her go. 

• Like 4

I'm really excited for the Winter Season now!!

After the Rain is one of my favourite ballets! The Christopher Wheeldon triple bill will be fantastic!

I'm guessing, that due to the amount of Principal roles that Matthew Ball is cast in, that he may be promoted after a performance as opposed to at the end of the season?

What a fabulous range of casting!

I wonder why Roberta Marquez has been left out

I'm guessing, that due to the amount of Principal roles that Matthew Ball is cast in, that he may be promoted after a performance as opposed to at the end of the season?

I, too, would love to see Matthew Ball rise through the ranks. Interestingly, his RBS contemporaries (Marcellina Sambe and Luca Acri who joined respectively over a year and just under a year before Matthew) are now Soloists but do not feature in the headline casting for this booking period. Doubtless we shall see them in (e.g.) the Peasant Pas de Six in Giselle and other cameo roles.

• Like 1

Yes, very sad about Roberta. I thought she was an outstanding partner for Steven. They seemed to go together really well and have great chemistry. it is a good point that the ROH is having to pay a guest artist when excellent principals are not being used. it would be a shame if Roberta leaves the ROH for this reason when she has done such sterling work for them for many years.

Over the moon about 2 of Vadim's performances being filmed (though I still hanker after the Romeo with Osipova). Pity this partnership isn't being carried over to Giselle. That would be a ticket to die for though it would mean his performance wouldn't be filmed as they wouldn't film 2 Osipova performances so close together so perhaps it's better as it is. has he danced with Marianella before? he seems to have had a wide variety of partners. I'm sure they'll be fabulous together. I must see a live performance also though it will be inconvenient and expensive as they're not dancing at a weekend.

• Like 1

. . has he danced with Marianella before? he seems to have had a wide variety of partners. I'm sure they'll be fabulous together. I must see a live performance also though it will be inconvenient and expensive as they're not dancing at a weekend.

Vadim and Marianela danced in Sleeping Beauty twice early last year and again in Symphonic last autumn. In both cases, he was a last minute replacement. The two of them are cast in the autumn season to dance firstly the Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux and then Nutcracker.

The casting is such that, in the two years since Vadim joined the RB, he will have partnered: Akane Takada, Marianela Nunez, Beatrix Stix-Brunell, Melissa Hamilton, Sarah Lamb, Laura Morera, Roberta Marquez, Francisca Hayward, Iana Salenko, Natalia Osipova, Tierney Heap and Lauren Cuthbertson. Of course, he is also guesting here and abroad and thus dancing with many more ballerinas including Daria Klimentova. Amazing!

• Like 1

I'm guessing that the Giselle debut is the clearest hunt yet of who the next female principal dancer is likely to be as this completes a sequence that now includes Beauty,, Don Q, Nutcracker, Sleeping Beauty and Two Pigeons....

Yes. This has clearly been on the cards for some time, despite the problems with her knee which she has spoken about in interviews. But this ballerina leaves me rather cold, I'm afraid.

At least she's not dancing with Vadim Muntagirov so far in the coming season.

When the casting for period 1 ballet was announced, Friends were sent a link to the ROH site which listed all the ballets and casting in PDF format.  I wonder if they will do this for the Winter season, as it was a very useful format to have all the details in one place.

Margaret

When the casting for period 1 ballet was announced, Friends were sent a link to the ROH site which listed all the ballets and casting in PDF format.  I wonder if they will do this for the Winter season, as it was a very useful format to have all the details in one place.

Margaret

I have just now written to the Friends to ask if they can do this. Copying, pasting and printing the lists from the ROH website does not work well.

Edited to add that I have had an immediate reply to say that the list will come out with this afternoon's e-News from The Friends. Well done them!

Edited by capybara

At some point the management is going to have to decide where its priorities lie between casting its established dancers and giving the younger ones their opportunities. We all have to accept that at some point a lot of people whose performances we have enjoyed are going to retire.I would rather see evidence that management recognises this fact and is engaged in doing something about developing the next generation of dancers than see the same names crop up in everything whether or not they are suited to the roles in question.There are a lot of unknowns which may well have an impact on this and subsequent booking periods. Who is dancing in the revised Elizabeth?How many casts will the company field for Winter's Tale? When will Scarlett begin work on his new full length ballet and who will be in it?

It is a very difficult to strike the right balance between the established dancers and the aspirants.So far it looks as if it is succeeding in getting it right. Morera gets Giselle and the casting for Two Pigeons is not merely a repeat of the first run. Stix-Brunell gets to dance the Girl and there is a gap in the casting which I assume is the young man rather than the Gypsy man.I would be more inclined to see Takada's Giselle in the context of giving aspirants an opportunity than as evidence that she is going to be the next principal.It may merely be a case of what Mary Clarke used to describe as "civil service casting" having more to do with her place in the pecking order than assured principal status.Not all her debuts in the classics have been equally well received.

There are still gaps in the casting.The Wheeldon mixed bill seems to be short of a few names even if the names listed are the casts for all three ballets and not just for After the Rain and in the Golden Hour.As far as Watson and Marquez are concerned I don't read anything into their absence from this booking period.Unless we hear something official to the contrary I assume that the absence of a name or names from the current programme is of little or no significance as far as the future of those dancers is concerned.

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 1

Margaret

I asked for this via Twitter but have not yet had a response.

Margaret

Hope this is accurate. Please let me know if not. (Comes from the Ballet Association website - not theft as I put it there!)

Royal Ballet 2015-2016 Winter season (Period 2) casting

General booking opens on October 21
(m = matinée)

Rhapsody (Ashton) / The Two Pigeons (Ashton) x7 Jan 16-30
Rhapsody
Jan 16m, 30m (Hayward, Hay)
Jan 20, 23m, 26† (Osipova, McRae)
Jan 23, 28 (Choe, Zuchetti)

The Two Pigeons
Jan 16m, 20 (Choe, Campbell, Mendizabal, Mock)
Jan 23m, 26† (Cuthbertson, Muntagirov, Morera, Hirano)
Jan 23, 28 (Stix-Brunell, Ball, Calvert, Edmonds)
Jan 30m (Takada, Hay, Magri, Zuchetti)

Wheeldon programme: After the Rain / NEW unnamed / Within the Golden Hour x7 Feb 12 - Mar 11
After the Rain
Feb 12, 16, 19; Mar 11 (Nuñez, Soares, Calvert, Kish, Mendizabal, Underwood)
Feb 13m, 17; Mar 10 (Yanowsky, Golding, Cowley, Mock, Heap, Edmonds)

New Wheeldon ballet
Feb 12, 16, 19; Mar 11 (Osipova, Watson, Bonelli, Ball)
Feb 13m, 17; Mar 10 (Cuthbertson, Richardson, tba, tba)

Within the Golden Hour
Feb 12, 16, 19; Mar 11 (Lamb, McRae, Cuthbertson, Golding, Stix-Brunell, Muntagirov)
Feb 13m, 17; Mar 10 (Takada, Dyer, Hayward, Morera, Campbell)

Giselle x16 Feb 26 - Apr 15
Feb 26; Mar 17, 29 (Osipova, Golding)
Feb 27; Mar 19m (Salenko*, McRae)
Mar 17m, 23; Apr 2 (Cuthbertson, Bonelli)
Mar 22, 31; Apr 6† (Nuñez, Muntagirov)
Mar 28m; Apr 9 (Takada, Soares)
Mar 28 (Lamb, Pennefather)
Apr 1, 15 (Morera, Kish)

‡ Casting may change so please check on the ROH website
† Live cinema relay
* Iana Salenko is a Principal Dancer of Berlin State Ballet
Edited by John Mallinson
Corrected wrong date for first Osipova/McRae performance in Rhapsody
  • Like 5

I have just now written to the Friends to ask if they can do this. Copying, pasting and printing the lists from the ROH website does not work well.

Edited to add that I have had an immediate reply to say that the list will come out with this afternoon's e-News from The Friends. Well done them!

I've just received the email and the links are just the same as yesterday's news - no pdf or helpful calendar style.

I think that the Stix Brunell/Ball combination is new isn't it  :) ?

Apparently it is: I must have been getting her mixed up with some other casting for the autumn, or something :)

(And my comment about repeating the first run, expanded from my own thoughts while booking on Tuesday, would more accurately be "Hmm, they surely can't be giving these more junior casts only one bite at the cherry: they must be having another go in the second run, so since I haven't been able to get any decent tickets for them I'll wait until the next booking period, and see if I have more luck then" :) )

At some point the management is going to have to decide where its priorities lie between casting its established dancers and giving the younger ones their opportunities. We all have to accept that at some point a lot of people whose performances we have enjoyed are going to retire.I would rather see evidence that management recognises this fact and is engaged in doing something about developing the next generation of dancers than see the same names crop up in everything whether or not they are suited to the roles in question.There are a lot of unknowns which may well have an impact on this and subsequent booking periods. Who is dancing in the revised Elizabeth?How many casts will the company field for Winter's Tale? When will Scarlett begin work on his new full length ballet and who will be in it?It is a very difficult to strike the right balance between the established dancers and the aspirants.So far it looks as if it is succeeding in getting it right. Morera gets Giselle and the casting for Two Pigeons is not merely a repeat of the first run. Stix-Brunell gets to dance the Girl and there is a gap in the casting which I assume is the young man rather than the Gypsy man.I would be more inclined to see Takada's Giselle in the context of giving aspirants an opportunity than as evidence that she is going to be the next principal.It may merely be a case of what Mary Clarke used to describe as "civil service casting" having more to do with her place in the pecking order than assured principal status.Not all her debuts in the classics have been equally well received.There are still gaps in the casting.The Wheeldon mixed bill seems to be short of a few names even if the names listed are the casts for all three ballets and not just for After the Rain and in the Golden Hour.As far as Watson and Marquez are concerned I don't read anything into their absence from this booking period.Unless we hear something official to the contrary I assume that the absence of a name or names from the current programme is of little or no significance as far as the future of those dancers is concerned.

You always write so intelligently Floss and I invariably agree with almost everything you state. Watson is in the new Wheeldon, and I am inclined to think his absence from Romeo, like Morera's from Rhapsody and Soares' from Nutcracker is quite as much to do with a move area from civil service casting towards what management and / or the dancer concerned feels appropriate / comfortable.

The absence of Marquez seems different, as I think others have sensed. She doesn't dance the fullest range of the company's work yet was featured on the cover of About the House when Giselle was last performed and has had cinema relays of Fille and Nutcracker. The dissolving of her partnership with McRae is sad as they seemed to work so well together and it is particularly unfortunate that it seems that she is being replaced, and at what expense (?), by somebody who is now a Principal Guest Artist in all but name. She was delightful in Don Q and Fille with Alexander Campbell, and they evidently enjoyed great rapport, but the Fille partnership was last minute and she had been due to Fille with Zucchetti. Despite her success as Lise, she is not in Pigeons (for which she would have seemed ideally suited), she is not in Nutcracker and she is not in Giselle. Perhaps some of us over over reacting to our rune reading and there is a perfectly logical explanation.

• Like 3

Marquez has two Juliets in the first booking period, and nothing at all in the second. That means that in the space of six months she is dancing twice. To me that is not normal for a principal dancer and I'm afraid I do find it significant for her future in the company. It wouldn't appear that she is taking a sabbatical, nor is she injured, so not sure what logical explanation there could be! Unless she is leaving, which would explain things, but then if she is leaving and they know about it, why not announce it? So maybe that's not the reason either. I've said elsewhere and I'll say it again: to not even give her ONE Giselle, nor even ONE Pigeons when she is such a good Ashton interpreter, is very surprising to me. But what do I know?! I would feel much better if I knew that her lack of appearances is her choice, rather than Management's.

• Like 11