To add to my previous post, it's also obviously good to see Anna Rose O'Sullivan making her Clara debut (I've booked to see her, twice) - but the reason I picked out Leticia Stock particularly was that she's been in the company a while, and until quite recently with a series of featured roles and promotion to First Artist, would have seemed to be one of those dancers that might for whatever reason remain at Artist level indefinitely.  Whereas O'Sullivan was being cast as Cupid in Don Q when she was only a few months out of school, and I can't see that she's destined to remain an Artist for long (in fact I imagine if she hadn't been out for so much of her fledgling career with an injury, she might have been promoted this year).

Edited by RuthE
  • Like 4

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just tried to book a few tickets to see R&J and noticed Osipova/Muntagirov (26/09) and Naghdi/Ball are nearly sold out shows (except for some tickets in the Upper&Lower Slips). There are several Osipova/Muntagirov performances but it is such a shame Naghdi/Ball didn't get at least one more performance. Guess I'll have to queue on the day as they are really THE cast I want to see at all cost. 

They are doing the school's performance as well - would lurrrrve a ticket for that!!

I'm not sure where I got this from, but I think that it's a 'family matinee'. Which lucky families qualify, I wonder?

The combination of the Nagdhi/Ball cast with matinee prices and time convenience was always going to make their 3rd October performance the hottest ticket in the R & J run.

• Like 1

Are "family performances" similar to "welcome performances", as in designed for people who probably haven't been before?  I have no idea how one comes by a family invitation to those.  I got taken to one once by a member of my extended family (my dad's then-partner) and got several surprised comments from ROH ushers who know me as a regular, asking what I was doing there...

How can one get tickets for the Naghdi/Ball family/school's performance? It's not coming up on the ROH website?

When the Autumn casting was first published  the Welcome Performance and Schools' Performance casts were on the list.  They were swiftly taken off but I kept a copy of the original. The Welcome Performance cast is scheduled to be Francesca Hayward and Matthew Golding. The Schools' Performance is scheduled to be danced by Yasmine Naghdi and Matthew Ball. Neither will appear on the ROH website as the Welcome Performance is for families who have never bought tickets to a performance at the ROH and the Schools' Performance is, of course, only for groups of school students.

Edited to add link to details of Welcome Performances:

http://www.roh.org.uk/learning/families/welcome-performances

Edited by Bluebird

I've just tried to book a few tickets to see R&J and noticed Osipova/Muntagirov (26/09) and Naghdi/Ball are nearly sold out shows (except for some tickets in the Upper&Lower Slips). There are several Osipova/Muntagirov performances but it is such a shame Naghdi/Ball didn't get at least one more performance. Guess I'll have to queue on the day as they are really THE cast I want to see at all cost. 

I was rather disappointed to see that they only had the one public performance *and* the sole (Saturday?) matinee in the run.  I have no objection to junior casts making their debuts out of the public eye, so to speak, but would have appreciated a chance to see them at some other time.  The combination of a single public performance and a Saturday matinee (which always sell out, especially for something as popular as R&J) meant that this one was always going to sell fast, regardless of cast, which is why it was second on my shopping list after the Osipova/Muntagirov ones.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but from the start of the Autumn Season the number of day seats has been reduced from 67 to 44.

:(  Not impressed.  Do we know where, and in what price bands?

• Like 1

Certainly all the stalls circle standing D1-6 and the equivalent on the right side so that accounts for 12 of the difference. 

......also, stalls circle bench seats C17 to 21 and C92-96 are now available during Friends' priority booking.. Those (+ the standing places Anna mentions) account for all but one of the lost places.

Edited by Bluebird

• 3 weeks later...

In respect of Romeos there is a wonderful Romeo in the company who has not yet been given an opportunity to dance this role with RB!

Edit: discussion of R&J casting moved from this thread http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/10358-rupert-pennefather-to-leave-rb/page-0 on Rupert Pennefather deciding to leave the Royal Ballet.

Edited by alison
To try and make sense of thread
  • Like 2

I keep fantasising that my dream of seeing Vadim being filmed in Romeo will come true but given the scheduling which would involve him having to double his Romeo performances in in a relatively short time scale this is probably very unrealistic. The only principle male dancer who doesn't seem to have many Romeos scheduled seems to be Matthew Golding. Isn't he only scheduled to do one with Hayward and then a Nutcracker or 2 much later? Not a great schedule for a new principle but maybe he has guesting commitments elsewhere.

I too would love to see Vadim doing the live stream but I think it's probably unlikely as I imagine they will want to save him for the Osipova performances. Although, having said that, he and Sarah Lamb were wonderful together in Manon, and they seem to have paired up for a lot of galas recently..... However, it would be a lot of strain on him and I would hate to see him injured before I see him in the performance I'm booked for!

ElleC - what a lovely piece you have written. Thank you :)  I do hope that Rupert sees it.

Regarding a replacement Romeo, I too would like to see Vadim cast but, if we think logically, he is currently in Japan, will be dancing at the Coli this coming week and then has to prepare for an R&J which he hasn't danced before (he has done the Nureyev and Deane versions). So were are probably going to be out of luck with the cinema relay.

However......... I believe I'm correct in thinking that the Cuthbertson/Muntagirov cast for Two Pigeons and the Nunez/Muntagirov cast for Giselle will be filmed.

Go on, Kevin O'Hare. I dare you to move Golding to dance with Lamb and cast Campbell with Hayward.

If that were to happen, I guess that there would be some very happy bunnies on this board!!!!!

Well not those who are only seeing r&j in the cinema and think Golding has had enough cinema relays!

(But if they would like to present some of the other debuts on the cinema I would be eternally grateful!)

Well not those who are only seeing r&j in the cinema and think Golding has had enough cinema relays!

(But if they would like to present some of the other debuts on the cinema I would be eternally grateful!)

Yes, the fact that the Lamb cast is the one scheduled for the cinema relay is a complicating factor. Not all that keen on seeing Golding writ large on the screen again myself, either.

The discussion about who might replace Rupert Pennefather is now spread between two threads: the one about Rupert leaving and this one (although R & J is actually in what is described as the Autumn Season!).

Is there any way, I wonder, of consolidating the comments about casting in the one correct location, please?

• Like 1

Go on, Kevin O'Hare. I dare you to move Golding to dance with Lamb and cast Campbell with Hayward.

If that were to happen, I guess that there would be some very happy bunnies on this board!!!!!

What a great idea, Capybara! I was very impressed with him in Fille earlier this year so would very much like to see his Romeo now.

• Like 3