Rad intermediate ballet exam

Prima_ballerina

I agree with Pictures, the ability to pick up unset work quickly and effectively is a crucial skill in the professional world and I wish more local schools would put increased emphasis on this, and make unset classes the norm.  Not sure why RAD have removed the unset element from the New Advanced grades, but they must have their justification.  

Edited by Quest
  • Like 1

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wanted to add that my DD is doing Int Foundation and we bought the DVD to help her get an idea of what's involved, but the DVD doesn't mention the free enchainement section, which she didn't know about until about a month ago (exam is on 2 Sept). As she likes to be well-prepared for everything, this is something she was not expecting and it's hard to practise unless teachers give you different combinations frequently. (I completely understand why they include it, but it was a bit of a nasty surprise when she found out about it!)

Thank you! I will definitely get the DVD!

• Like 1

We were informed that the free enchainements have been deleted from the Advanced 1 and 2 because every single step in the syllabus is actually seen.  In the earlier vocational exams there are many extra steps which are not seen but are part of the vocabulary.  I don't like the new format for unseen exercises as they are very limiting, which makes them repetitive and trickier.  The information about the content of the unseen enchainements is in the syllabus book.  You can probably find them in the exam section on the website.  I will try and find you the link.  Here it is http://www.rad.org.uk/achieve/exams/what-we-do/rules-regulations-and-specifications  Clink on the link for Intermediate Foundation and Intermediate and open it.  Everything is there, apart from the actual set exercises and dances!

What I remember is the following - there are three central or focal steps which are combined with other linking steps to make up the enchainements.  In IF the steps are jetes ordinaires devant and derriere, assembles over, under, devant, and derriere and sissone de cote over, under, devant and derriere.  The jetes are combined with temps leves and petit assembles.  The assembles are linked with glissades over,under, devant and derriere and the sissones with pas de bourees over, under, devant and derriere.  To this may also be added changement, releve in fifth and changement battu.  The examiner will choose one of the focal steps for each set of candidates, normally a different focal step for each group and will set one enchainement for each group.  They all get several chances to show their enchainement properly.  It should be 8 counts each side shown four times ie R, L, R, L.

Intermediate candidates get sissones de cote as for IF, plus sissones en avant and en arriere, ferme and ouvert for one focal step linked with pas de bourees as for IF, but with coupe chasse pas de bouree too. Assembles are as for IF, but now include assemble battu over and assemble porte de cote (travelled) with glissades.  The third focal step is pas de basque saute en avant and en arriere with pas de bourees and coupe chasse pas de bouree.  The extra steps now include entrechat quatre as well as those in IF.  Again they're supposed to be 8 counts each side, performed 4 times. 

A sample step for IF could be glissade derriere, assemble over, glissade devant, assemble under, 2 x assembles over, releve in 5th, changement battu.

A sample step for Inter could be 2 x sissone en avant ferme, sissone en avant ouvert, pas de bouree under, sissone over de cote, sissone en arriere ferme, coupe chasse pas de bouree.  Or perhaps glissade derriere assemble battu over, repeat to L. Glissade derriere assemble porte over, releve in 5th entrechat quatre.

Of course the examiner will add in arms and alignments and might also use the numbers for corners and sides, which they also need to know.  She will not show the exercise, but will tell them the exact name of each step and they will have to show that they know what she is talking about!  She usually tries to help as much as she can, because each free enchainement is now worth 10 points!

Hope this has helped - good luck to you all.

• Like 3

Dd was on the Monday, pas de chat - one of the trio who went from school and spent the lunch money on frappacino and cake in a well known coffee shop!! I will be on to school tomorrow! Thanks for the tip off, balletqueen.

• Like 1

In case anyone is wondering if results have arrived in school, I spoke to someone yesterday and there is no one in from the dance department until next week, so no chance of finding out until then. RAD will not release results direct to paents either, so the suspense goes on! Good luck to all waiting :)

• Like 2

Curious and curiouser! Have spoken to school this morning and results have not arrived! Target date not unitl 12th, but strage that others from the same sesssion have received theirs. I am impatient now! :rolleyes: