Mobile phone misery

AnneMarriott

Totally agree with the above - love this forum! 

Now then horror of horrors!  I just took out my little nokia phone that I only use on trips to the UK.  I last used it at Easter so what 4 months ago - and it's dead - I can't switch it on!  It's an orange Pay as you go with a swipe card to top up and has money on it.  Do you think it's connected to what the original poster was complaining about?  I have had it for years and it is so useful to have in the UK, as I leave my smart phone on airplane mode and just use it when I have free WiFi there.  What shall I do without it?  And it's most annoying to lose the money on it.

The phone may have just died if it is quite old :-)  Can you borrow another PAYG phone to try out the sim card? Or you can take it to an EE shop to test the sim card, but beware, they may try to sell you something ;-) . If it's still working, you can buy another inexpensive phone and you should still have the credit to use.

Edited by Sunrise

Sorry to hear about this Dance*is*Life!

Orange gives you 6 months before expiry (see the table at: http://kenstechtips.com/index.php/payg-inactivity-account-termination-and-credit-expiry and the Orange terms of service http://ee.co.uk/content/dam/ee-help/e-gain.s3.amazonaws.com/external/content/Orange/Terms%20and%20conditions/PAYG-Terms-and-conditions-for-the-supply-of-Orange-network-services-20121023.pdf) .

The problem could be connected with Orange's move to EE but if the phone doesn't switch on at all (rather than displaying an error message saying it can't connect to a network when you turn it on) , I'd suspect it's more likely to be a hardware problem with the phone itself or the battery or charger, rather than with the orange line itself. Will send you a PM re troubleshooting.

Good news - I charged the battery and hey presto it switched on!  I actually tried charging it yesterday, but it didn't connect properly and no little charging line showed. I tried again today and yeh it worked!  What a relief! I sent a text just to prove that my phone is still being used!  As long as I can contact people I am meeting up with in London I'm okay. 

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

I made the break with my mobile about 15 years ago and I've never missed it. My landline phone doesn't ring (I disconnected the bell) so unless I'm in the room I don't know if somebody is trying to call me. The answering machine is broken too - has been for about 5 years. I try to avoid using the phone on my desk at work - if I need to talk to somebody, I'll trek off across campus to see them. As an added bonus, this get me away from the computer.

I think both Alexander Graham Bell and Charles Babbage have a lot to answer for.