Brilliant.  They force us to get in before office hours open (if we want decent tickets) and then we get "Server Error: Service Unavailable (503)"

Seriously not impressed.  And every time I try adding anything to my shopping basket I get "There was a problem with your request.  Unknown error".  Very helpful.  It's not as if it was only the Osipova/Muntagirov R&Js, either - it's been every performance I've tried.  I've had to watch tickets disappearing from under my nose while I can't get at them.  Rubbish. 

Well, I must say, never have I been able to get my grubby hands (or rather cursor) on so many standing tickets.  If the site would only start allowing me *actually* to put any of them in my shopping basket, I might be well pleased :(

Is nobody else having problems?

Well, this time for me - and I bought more than I intended - it was - as the guys in prison I sometimes work with are wont to say:  'smooth'.   :)

I so wish you better luck, Alison.  Hang in there.  When I first went on and tried to get a Kaufmann Carmen it was a nightmare ... but perseverance I'm delighted to say paid off ... somehow :)

Where I struggled was the opening night of Two Pigeons.  Got a slips place ... but that was not what I was hoping for.  (Oh, and I had to settle for that too for the Orphee ... Still, mustn't grumble.  I got in.)

Edited by Bruce Wall

Brilliant.  They force us to get in before office hours open (if we want decent tickets) and then we get "Server Error: Service Unavailable (503)"

Seriously not impressed.  And every time I try adding anything to my shopping basket I get "There was a problem with your request.  Unknown error".  Very helpful.  It's not as if it was only the Osipova/Muntagirov R&Js, either - it's been every performance I've tried.  I've had to watch tickets disappearing from under my nose while I can't get at them.  Rubbish. 

Oh dear, Alison - I genuinely feel your pain..  I got the Server Error once when trying to speed up the turning circle, but went back again and to my astonishment and delight got two Stalls Circle standing for Osipova/Muntagirov R & J.  I'm still in shock!  It was the only thing I was booking for so am well pleased (sorry to sound as if I'm crowing ...)

So, I feel now how I feel every time the general booking opens for the next season. Usually nervous, sometimes frustrated and always a bit sick!

I have managed to get some tickets for R and J and Cheri this morning, but I wish it weren't like this. I hope you managed to get your tickets, Alison.

I'm afraid the ROH booking system also makes me horribly aware of the class system in this country that I usually don't have to confront. I know they hold some seats back, but I can't help but feel that by the time the booking has been opened to friends, special friends, extra special friends and friend of friends (you know what I mean), that as one of the general public we have to be happy with the floor sweepings. I know the answer would be to become a friend, but I can hardly afford the visits I make as it is. I have nothing against the friends themselves,they are obviously very important to the ROH. It just makes me, who comes 120 miles many times a year, and gets the last coach home at midnight, feel not as important to the ROH as an acquaintance of mine who is a friend, but never comes.

Edited by cavycapers
  • Like 9

I was hoping for something in the region of my 'usual' seat in the Grand Tier, if not the seat itself, for the matinee of the Viscera bill. I have settled for similar in the stalls circle. I got in as early as I could but there wasn't much left. I will look out for returns nearer the time and see if I can do a swap. Anyway, at least I got something for my Autumn treat. No problems with the purchasing process.

I hovered over Cheri as there seem - presently anyway -  to be a number of seats. Haven't committed myself yet although I would love to see Alessandra Ferri again. Can anyone advise as to the running time and where is good to sit. I would guess the ticket prices indicate it is a shortish piece, but is that more because of the venue? Much as I love Miss Ferri, it is a long day of travelling for me and just not worth it for a short performance, whoever it may be.

I agree it is quite stressful, tuning in to find out what is left of the pickings. Like Cavycapers, the answer would perhaps be to become a friend but the cost of that combined with living where I do, would make it pointless as I would not benefit from any of the perks other than early doors on ticket choice. 

I got the 503 a couple of times, then page not avail, then sold out, for Carlos's Carmen insight - otherwise, no problem for the tickets I was after. Was a bit patchy speed wise, but then you'd expect that in the initial stampede...

Jacqueline - a review of Cheri in the New York Times said that it ran for 1 hour 5 minutes.

Oh, thanks for that info. I decided to go ahead and get a ticket before I read your post. One hour 5 minutes huh? I assume there is no interval. Maybe I will get another ticket and see it again in the evening to make it worth the trip.  :huh:

Just booked one of the Osipova and Muntagirov R and J in about 10 mins flat.....the worse thing was remembering my bank security password!! Have got an Amphi seat row c ......I didn't realise booking opened today until I saw this thread so have been very lucky!!

• Like 1

I got the 503 a couple of times, then page not avail, then sold out, for Carlos's Carmen insight - otherwise, no problem for the tickets I was after. Was a bit patchy speed wise, but then you'd expect that in the initial stampede...

You should able to get a ticket for that insight nearer the time. Very limited availability when I booked so I imagine there are loads of tickets held back.

• Like 1

Well, a brief - condensed - update on what must have been the most disastrous ROH booking experience I've ever had:

Chrome (Bruce, is yours the most recent update as of a few days ago, or an older version?) - inability first of all to get at the site, and then this stupid "unknown error" every time I tried to put something in the basket.  Quite a few standing tix available, though.

Due to the delay, it's now late enough that I can get at my work computer, so I launch Internet Explorer 8.  It's marvellous: everything works like a charm, lots of decent standing suddenly available (can this be linked to the reported problems with Chrome not showing tickets when they're available sometimes?).  I even manage to get a good balcony standing for one of the Osipova R&Js, plus a backup amphi standing for another performance (hedging my bets here, given her injury record in recent times), and a few others.  Hey, this is actually going really well :)  Maybe I'll stop moaning.  Go to pay for them: need to put new credit card details in, everything works fine until the last page (the one after the "Continue" prompt, which I've never seen before), which is blank.  No indication of whether payment has gone through or not, no confirmation email, nothing, so I carry on intermittently refreshing the website until I see my tickets reappear on sale - no, nothing had gone through.  

Hurriedly launch Firefox, find website and try and pick up all the dumped tickets before someone gets at them.  I get some of them, but not others, and manage to pay for the lot with a couple of minutes to spare.  Phew!  Then go round again trying to pick up the rest, and realise what a mistake I've made: I'd left the mixed bill tickets til last because they're cheap, aren't they, so there's less pressure on the inexpensive seats.  WRONG.  *These* mixed bills are being priced at a similar level to full-length performances, and all the cheap standing has gone by now, and the seats I usually go for (because it is quite nice to be able to afford to sit down sometimes) have increased 250%.  Can't afford to pay that just for an unspecified cast of Afternoon of a Faun and Tchai Pas, so nothing doing for the Viscera bill.  *Very* reluctantly pay for seats for 2 performances of the Monotones bill only, and will have to wait and see if any standing comes along for the rest.  Add to that that I've lost 3 hours' working time with this joke of a system, and that represents a not-insignificant amount of income, and I am VERY cheesed off with the whole thing.

You want me to buy you a ticket?

Oh, CC, that is really kind of you - thank you.  But I'm as sorted as I'm going to be now, and there aren't the tickets left for anything I wanted to go to.

Just booked one of the Osipova and Muntagirov R and J in about 10 mins flat.....the worse thing was remembering my bank security password!! Have got an Amphi seat row c ......I didn't realise booking opened today until I saw this thread so have been very lucky!!

Well, I'm glad my woes have been of benefit to someone :)

Have you checked your forthcoming events?

Yep.  I left that out of the condensed version above.  That was when I started refreshing the website to see if my tickets were back online.

Chrome (Bruce, is yours the most recent update as of a few days ago, or an older version?) - inability first of all to get at the site, and then this stupid "unknown error" every time I tried to put something in the basket.  Quite a few standing tix available, though.

Hi Alison, 

I think the Chrome I'm using is the very latest as this computer which I'm using - just at this moment - (I have several) - is very new TO ME - and I had to reload all programmes just a couple of days ago.  It worked fine with the ROH site ... but I have to say it royally screwed up the situation with the Skype interface.  Blessedly the latter has been resolved.  I'm not sure how I did it, but I somehow must have clicked/unclicked the right thing on Skype.  Don't ask me.  I call it a mystery.  We'll see how long it lasts.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

You should able to get a ticket for that insight nearer the time. Very limited availability when I booked so I imagine there are loads of tickets held back.

yes, hopefully when the Fonteyn Circle dump their allocation back to the box office...  :-)

Hi Alison, and anyone who had terrible struggles getting the seats they wanted.

I didn't seem to have any probs and hedged my bets cos I didn't have time to work it out too closely, and got 3 tickets, all confirmed, for Thursday 1st October R@J 7.30pm Muntagirov/Osipova. I bought a stalls circ standing, a stalls circle seat and a balcony seat. Obvs, as I am going on my own I will want only one of the three, and have decided to go for either of the two seats, which means I can offer, to anyone dissappointed today, the stalls circle standing seat, which is:

Item Quantity Total

Romeo and Juliet

Friday 9 October 2015, 7.30pm | Main Stage

Balcony Right, C-65 | £11.00 - Full Price (Standing Place), view obstructed by tier ledge & safety rail, NOT for people of short stature

1 £11.00

Subtotal: £11.00

Grand Total: £11.00

Let me know if this would help out your disastrous experiences!

Edited by cavycapers

I got online surprisingly easily this morning (Chrome) but was amazed how little was left.  I pounced on one Osipova/Muntagirov R&J and am now dithering over Salenko and Macrae or Yagdhi and Ball.  Does the Friends booking date get earlier each season?  (Was also booking opera and the two performances Jonas Kaufmann is giving were gone in about ten minutes flat!

So, I feel now how I feel every time the general booking opens for the next season. Usually nervous, sometimes frustrated and always a bit sick!

I have managed to get some tickets for R and J and Cheri this morning, but I wish it weren't like this. I hope you managed to get your tickets, Alison.

I'm afraid the ROH booking system also makes me horribly aware of the class system in this country that I usually don't have to confront. I know they hold some seats back, but I can't help but feel that by the time the booking has been opened to friends, special friends, extra special friends and friend of friends (you know what I mean), that as one of the general public we have to be happy with the floor sweepings. I know the answer would be to become a friend, but I can hardly afford the visits I make as it is. I have nothing against the friends themselves,they are obviously very important to the ROH. It just makes me, who comes 120 miles many times a year, and gets the last coach home at midnight, feel not as important to the ROH as an acquaintance of mine who is a friend, but never comes.

Briliiant post.  I felt like that this morning.  So little choice left, it was like crumbs and very expensive crumbs.  Like you visiting ROH is real excursion.  Three hours on the train each way, then going home I have to change trains because nothing runs to the depths of Dorset after 21.30 so I get home after 03.00.  Okay, my choice, but it is a hell of a schlep and I wish I didn't feel like one of the peasants when I go to hand over my dosh.  I think the Friends booking period is far too long.  They should have a maximum of 7 days.  

A friend very kindly got me a ticket for a performance when ordinary Friends booking opened and I'm very happy with the seat.  Today, out of interest, I looked at the performance I am already booked for and there were several tickets showing for the row I am booked on but on the day my friend booked it was the last seat on the row.  Presumably this is because seats are held back for public booking.

Really pleased to of gotten tickets to see Lauren Cuthbertson and Federico Bonelli in 'Romeo and Juliet' on the 17th October, can't wait to see one of my favourite ballet's and one I grew up watching (we had the Royal Ballet Ferri/Eagling 1984 production of VHS, which I now own on DVD plus I have two on blu-ray - Acosta/Rojo and Cuthbertson/Bonelli) so yeah extremely excited, smooth ordering process as well, managed to get 2 side orchestral stalls seats (H-U side), quite a bit more pricey than what I paid to see Manon last year but I guess its a very popular ballet, so it's to be expected. 

I also didn't realise general booking opened today till I saw a Facebook post by the Royal Opera House, so there I was during my lunch hour ordering the tickets. 

I got online surprisingly easily this morning (Chrome) but was amazed how little was left.  I pounced on one Osipova/Muntagirov R&J and am now dithering over Salenko and Macrae or Yagdhi and Ball.  Does the Friends booking date get earlier each season?  (Was also booking opera and the two performances Jonas Kaufmann is giving were gone in about ten minutes flat!

Go see Yasmine Naghdi - you won't be disappointed! :-)

Nagdhi/Ball recommended  :)

• Like 1

Was also booking opera and the two performances Jonas Kaufmann is giving were gone in about ten minutes flat!

Never underestimate the Kaufmann effect! Not even J.K. could tempt me back to yet another run of this rather pedestrian Carmen although I did succumb to the wonderful Anna Caterina Antonacci last time round. Did you get your Kaufmann tickets, Penelope?