Anyone else here a tennis fan?

Fiz

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 04/09/2021 at 23:06, alison said:

Meanwhile, Dan Evans is doing quite nicely, albeit with a little less fanfare, too :)

Not to mention Joe Salisbury and Jaimie Murray in the doubles, now through to the quarter finals.

The fanfare is only going to get louder for Emma after last night's superb performance though. I just hope she can cope with the mounting pressure and expectation.

• Like 5

Me too.

This has been a real tournament for the qualifiers, hasn't it?  I don't remember the last time so many of them did so well.  I wonder if it's because they've had the extra time to adjust to the humidity and everything.

6 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I’m not that much into tennis but just heard Emma Raducanu has reached the semi finals a pretty good achievement did anyone see the match? 

Yes, it followed the same pattern .... nervous start, then built up steam , learned her opponent very quickly and tactically stopped her playing to her strengths.  There was then the usual point in the second set where her opponent's face is saying 'what on earth is happening to me here?', and then on to close.  I think she's the first qualifier ever to get this far at the US Open, one of only a handful of Brits and I also think the rating jump will make her British number 1.  She has a decent shot in the semi too, it's all playing out like a film script...

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I can't believe she's in the final. Absolutely amazing!

I wasn't planning to watch it, and expected her to lose, but ended up waking up because it was so hot in the house and saw the match.  She played absolutely superb tennis and was a delight in the interview afterwards. Fingers crossed for tomorrow!  

btw the replay is still on Prime for those who have it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

I wasn't planning to watch it, and expected her to lose, but ended up waking up because it was so hot in the house and saw the match.  She played absolutely superb tennis and was a delight in the interview afterwards. Fingers crossed for tomorrow!  

btw the replay is still on Prime for those who have it.

I think I might start a free trial of Amazon Prime so I can watch the final.

• Like 3

Don't forget to cancel afterwards :)

Wonder how much business Amazon will end up making out of it.

Actually, it's really refreshing to have two up-and-coming young stars in the final.  Just as long as they don't get paralysed by nerves ...

• Like 2

13 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

well done to Ch4 for getting the coverage of Emma Raducanu's final.

Yes, better than anyone managed for Andy Murray's first slam title in 2012.

58 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Wow that was an edge of the seat match two fantastic young players but Emma keeping pretty cool as the crowd pretty much on Fernandez side for this match!!

I'm not sure the crowd were particularly on Fernandez' side, rather that they wanted to see more tennis?

28 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Imagine waking up this morning a bit groggy in a hotel bed, with a bandage on your leg and a trophy on the pillow. And a bit of crumpled paper next to the kettle with some writing on it starting with $2,5…

yes, the £1.8m boost to the bank balance won't hurt will it! 🙂

Plus of course, the mad scramble of lucrative sponsorships deservedly heading her way

• Like 2

I'm starting to feel a bit queasy about the amount of focusing on her potential earnings in the past 24 hours.  It seems to cheapen her achievement somehow.

That said, if she's not an advert for the benefits (professionally speaking, here) of learning a second language, I don't know who is!

• Like 3

Bromley high street last weekend :)

IMG_20210918_162304.jpg

Considering that that same "hoarding" had been used to wish luck to Adam Gemili, Dina Asher-Smith and Katarina Johnson-Thompson at the Olympics, I'm surprised they didn't manage to jinx Emma as well :)

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

I am surprised that the tennis fans amongst us have not made a comment or two about the high jinx going on in Australia at the moment.  Or is it deemed a little too controversial to comment?

Personally, I have nothing against Djokovic, and I don't want to delve into the political side of things but I cannot see how he can possibly be allowed to compete after all the uproar that has taken place.  It simply would not be fair on either the players or the ordinary public in Australia, who have been enduring such strict regulations since the pandemic began.  

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 5

Well I certainly don’t think any special rules should be made for him! 
It’s all a bit of a mess though. Surely Tennis Australia should have checked what Gov rules were 🤔

I think however if there really is a photo /video of him out and about when he is supposedly positive with Covid that should be the end of the matter ...he just can’t take part this year if that is true. 

• Like 3

Something doesn't smell right about this whole thing.  

Surely he must have had to enter the competition months ago so if he only had Covid in December...

Am I right in thinking that he has spoken out against the Covid vaccinations in the past?

• Like 3

He’s very anti vax and if he really had Covid in December this is the second time that he has had it after it spread all round a tennis tournament he organised in 2020. His wife caught it too. I think he’s thoroughly irresponsible. 

• Like 5