Fiz

Anyone else here a tennis fan?

I would rather not make a comment regarding his ban, but he did surprise me with his behaviour, at such a critical point in the match. I was hurt by my opponent many many times when I was younger, both mentally and physically, but I tried my utmost not to let them know, that's how we were taught a few years ago. The Federer / Nadal semi is a very hard one to call the way both are playing, I'm going for Nadal though.

• Like 2

So am I, given the way the court seems to be playing.  Wouldn't be my preferred choice otherwise.

• Like 2

I’ll be optimistic and go for Federer.  The cross-court speed he displayed against Nishikori was unbelievable. 

• Like 1

On 11/07/2019 at 16:39, Anna C said:

I’ll be optimistic and go for Federer.  The cross-court speed he displayed against Nishikori was unbelievable. 

What a match.  For the sake of my heart rate I’m glad it didn’t go to 5 sets! 

• Like 4

Federer seems to be on another level this year. 

Usually when someone has won loads of times at Wimbledon I start wanting someone else to win just for a change! 

But Federer is such a joy to watch that he is probably the one exception. 

No disrespect to Serena as she is great but after 24 wins I would really like the other lady to win this year Halep! 

Yes Federer was special, and made a great player like Nadal look, well not ordinary, but definitely second best. What a final it promises to be.

Federer and Nadal, even though they're competing against each other, are like the greatest of ballet partnerships, and like Torvill and Dean: there's an indefinable bond between them and time seems to stand still as greatness takes over. They're magnificent.

• Like 4

Simona Halep played out of her skin and was a worthy winner. Congratulations! 

• Like 4

Haven't seen it yet! But caught sight of the winner on the BBC news page! I'm glad somebody can now take on Serena Willams though at 37 she is still pretty amazing.

• Like 1

She was stunning, Lin! I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. 

• Like 1

Even Serena said:  "she played out of her head" and no-one had ever seen Simona play as well as that.  She was utterly magnificent and a wothy winner.  Serena was very gracious in defeat, and I thought Simona was also gracious and amusing and just thrilled.  I also think she has more respect for the British Royal Family than some of its own members do.  I am thrilled that she got to meet the Duchess of Cambridge afterwards as that is who she wanted there!   Very well done to her on an amazing win.  

• Like 5

Just now, bangorballetboy said:

I’m rather worn out after a three minutes shy of five hours gents’ doubles final!

I’m not surprised! What a match! 

19 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

I’m rather worn out after a three minutes shy of five hours gents’ doubles final!

But not as worn out as they are.  I hope there's no lasting damage to Mahut - 3 really nasty strikes in one match is really rather too much, especially two of them coming so close together :( 

• Like 2

Incredible match.  There has never been a doubles match like it!  

• Like 1

What an incredible final. I'm so sad that Federer lost, but it was a brilliant match and Djokovic is amazing, especially given he had moreorless the whole crowd against him too. There were times when I wanted to weep at the sheer beauty of Federer's tennis, and in a way that's a greater achievement than winning a match.

Talk about stress!! What with the tennis and the cricket - I was switching to the cricket at every changeover and that got more and more tense and then the super over (of which I had never heard until today) happening at literally the same time as the tie break! Unbelievable stuff. The moment of England winning the world cup will rank with Jonny Wilkinson's kick for sheer ecstasy and unbelievable drama. You just couldn't make it up. I LOVE SPORT!!!

Totally exhausted now (having spent all afternoon and evening on my sofa).

• Like 4

I initially assumed that, despite the commentators saying that Federer was the better player in virtually every set, Djokovic must have had the edge, so wasn't initially that upset, although disappointed.  Then I made the mistake of looking at the statistics on the Wimbledon website, which bore out what they'd said.  I don't think I've ever seen a match in which all the statistics were so much in favour of one player: everything showed Federer as better than Djokovic apart from the unforced error count - he even scored 218 points to Djokovic's 204!  That was when I started feeling really gutted for Federer for not winning it :( 

(BTW, we have a cricket thread too, should anyone feel like reviving it)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, alison said:

I initially assumed that, despite the commentators saying that Federer was the better player in virtually every set, Djokovic must have had the edge, so wasn't initially that upset, although disappointed.  Then I made the mistake of looking at the statistics on the Wimbledon website, which bore out what they'd said.  I don't think I've ever seen a match in which all the statistics were so much in favour of one player: everything showed Federer as better than Djokovic apart from the unforced error count - he even scored 218 points to Djokovic's 204!  That was when I started feeling really gutted for Federer for not winning it :( 

Though one particular stat that doesn't get included in the official ones is the fact that Djokovic always had the upper hand in tie breaks...

Who knows how it might have gone if the final set tie-break rule hadn't come in this year, but we are where we are!

Too true, on both counts!  Which points you win can be more important than how many.  The joys of tennis ...

I must say, though, a first-to-7 tiebreak felt horribly inadequate for the occasion, although that may have been more down to the length and epic-ness of the match than anything else.  Maybe they should change it to first-to-10, as in champions' tiebreaks, at least for finals.  But it's early days yet, and the Club may change its mind in future years, I suppose.