Anyone else here a tennis fan?

Fiz

Congratulations to Paul Jubb for winning the USA College singles title, a very prestigious comp. I've been interested in Paul's career as he's a local boy from Kingston Upon Hull, and I knew his grandfather well, and he would obviously be very proud if he hadn't sadly passed away. Some of the big names of tennis won this award, so let's hope he follows in their footsteps.

• Like 3

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A really gripping, 5-hour-plus 5-setter at the French Open this afternoon between a former champion and a surely future champion, in Stan Wawrinka and Stefanos Tsitsipas, respectively.  Only sorry that it had to occur so early in the tournament: it would have made an excellent final.

• Like 1

Had my first taste of Roland Garros at the weekend  - 7 hours sitting on rock hard benches under a blazing sun!  Our 'annexe courts' ticket proved fine, and we were able to move between courts without much queuing.  Highlight match was Cornet/Martic (below) v Mladenovic/Babos.  Towards the end of the day they open up the big courts too, so we got to see Barty beat Petrovic - and then turn up in our Chinese restaurant later that evening. I hope she didn't have the spicy pork, given what it did to me later.

8oBZx8P.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

New gnashers and all ...  (I wouldn't have mentioned them, but his speech sounds so much clearer - I'm assuming there might be a connection).  And moving well, from what I saw.

Oh, and it's now officially Sir Andrew :) 

Pleased to see Yulia Putintseva, my 'discovery' from the Kazakh Fed cup match on an earlier post, get a big break in beating Naomi Osaka......    We just spent the weekend and Monday at the Birmingham Classic, and had another 'discovery' in the form of Iga Swiatek, last year's Wimbledon juniors winner.  She is clearly inexperienced but has a great style to watch, and I think will develop to do very well.  Both her and Yulia have got into Wimbledon...  Must admit more and more I pick matches to watch based on the style of play rather than the ranking of the players.  Konta bores me absolutely witless, whereas some lower ranking players are really exciting to watch - even when they lose..

Heather Watson lost but was looking in better form than I've seen for a long time

i7fliqP.jpg

• Like 2

Mrs Quintus sent me a photo today from Boodles of her with Tsitsipas.  His being 6'4 to her 4'11 made for a difficult composition, even more extreme than when I snapped her with Krystina Pliskova, pushing 6'2, a couple of weeks ago... 😂

• Like 3

We had Centre Court tickets yesterday but they were right at the back of level 5, so it was like looking out of a postbox, and we had a 'leaner' in front who took out half the court. The matches there were not that great (Kevin Anderson is really dull) so we mostly spent the day watching fantastic doubles on outside courts which would have cost a tenth of the price. It was good to see local girl Eden Silva and Evan Hoyt beat Storus and Paes, and there was a cracking ladies doubles of Sabalenka/Mertens v Krunic/Aoyama.  Krunic repeatedly fell flat on her back volleying at the net and was back on her feet to return the return  - reflexes of a cat!  We were looking forward to the Cori Gauff match, given all the media frenzy about her, but frankly found it rather dull.  She was extremely cautious, and both of them were nervous, so it was mostly 70s style baseline rallying.  Maybe I'm missing something, and it's clearly still amazing for a 15 year old to get his far, but from that performance the quality of her actual tennis has been rather overhyped.

• Like 1

I watched the Gauff match and feel as you did Quintus....that she is exceptionally good for a 15 year old and has a lot of strength etc but the tennis was boring to me! And frankly she looked rather miserable.....I know the effort of concentrating etc .....but perhaps that sort of rather over serious drive that cuts you off from people....so not that much fun to watch!! 

Im definitely getting into the doubles this year .....very exciting and so fast! Much more fun!

• Like 1

My daughter and granddaughter were in very good seats on centre court yesterday, I was watching some of it on tv and kept looking out for them,  and sure enough they popped up. They were still there for the last match, too long for me that. I watched some of the Sousa / Evans match, and enjoyed most of it, although I reckon Nadal will blow Sousa away. Has Evans got some kind of underlying problem, as at one critical stage of the match, he just seemed to lose his head, shouting and swearing at his coach I believe?  

• Like 1

I felt so sorry for Berrettini against Federer - he was clearly so overawed that he really didn't do himself justice, and Federer (my hero) was immaculately brilliant. It became almost funny (even Berrettini clearly felt this) - nothing at all went right for him, and everything went right for Federer. And it was probably the quickest men's match I've ever seen. :huh:

• Like 2

Gentlemen’s Senior Invitational Doubles is currently on iplayer - you can watch from the beginning.  Mansour Bahrami would be worth the Wimbledon ticket price on his own.  Such brilliant play and all four players are so entertaining.

• Like 1

On 07/07/2019 at 11:34, Vonrothbart said:

My daughter and granddaughter were in very good seats on centre court yesterday, I was watching some of it on tv and kept looking out for them,  and sure enough they popped up. They were still there for the last match, too long for me that. I watched some of the Sousa / Evans match, and enjoyed most of it, although I reckon Nadal will blow Sousa away. Has Evans got some kind of underlying problem, as at one critical stage of the match, he just seemed to lose his head, shouting and swearing at his coach I believe?  

Evans is returning from a year long ban in 2017 - he tested positive for cocaine.

8 hours ago, Anna C said:

Evans is returning from a year long ban in 2017 - he tested positive for cocaine.

Not that that should have anything to do with it, really.

15 hours ago, bridiem said:

And it was probably the quickest men's match I've ever seen. :huh:

You're telling me :(  There were a lot of unhappy people in the ticket resale queue who couldn't get in before he was done and dusted, desperately hoping for Berrettini to prolong things.

10 hours ago, alison said:

Not that that should have anything to do with it, really.

No, I was just replying to Vonrothbart about Dan Evans.  Coming back from a ban must be very difficult and may explain his emotional state.

Yes, lousy draw.  They'll probably run each other ragged in the semi :( 

I must admit, having sat and watched her match on Monday, I'm becoming quite an admirer of Strycova's game: she's a wily player, and actually one of the few who really knows how to play on grass.  Whether she can mess up Serena Williams' game sufficiently to win, though, I don't know.

• Like 1

I would rather not make a comment regarding his ban, but he did surprise me with his behaviour, at such a critical point in the match. I was hurt by my opponent many many times when I was younger, both mentally and physically, but I tried my utmost not to let them know, that's how we were taught a few years ago. The Federer / Nadal semi is a very hard one to call the way both are playing, I'm going for Nadal though.

• Like 2