TDCI Championships

Ballet_Is_King

Hello... just wondering how many people here take part in these championships? Have seen one or two outstanding young ballet talents, particularly in the North, but the standard of ballet at these Championship events seems very poor across the board. I wonder if they are well advertised enough across the UK to really attract the most talented young ballet dancers to compete.

Having looked this up it is probably due to which 'examining boards' are associated with the competition.  I use the inverted commas as I could not think of a collective word for the different dance associations and not as a comment on them.  However, with Scottish and Northern Counties being in the titles of 2 of them, it suggests that geography plays a part in numbers and locations for heats and obviously large numbers of students are RAD or ISTD and so not eligible for TDCI.

The championships held on the last day of one of our local festivals are TDCI championships. The competitors are generally just the students who have participated in the festival - I don't know of anyone who travels specifically for the championship, though this particular festival is of a good standard and does attract entries from quite a wide area. DD won the senior ballet last year and I think that might have allowed her to enter a regional championship of some kind, but we didn't bother as we aren't sufficiently interested in competitions to travel very often. The standard of our county championships is reasonable in my opinion, but that just reflects the standard of the particular festival they are held at I would think. Our school isn't associated with any of the examining boards that make up the TDCI and you don't have to belong to those organisations in order to compete. You have to  get a registration card in advance, which was about £5 if I recall rightly, but there are no restrictions on who can compete as far as I am aware. Our school does RAD ballet and ISTD exams for other genres and many of the students compete in these championships.

I can't comment on the regional/national championships though, as I have never been.

Ballet is king- Do you travel all over to take part in these? I've only ever seen an excellent standard x

Yes, I've seen various ones from the Midlands up to Scotland. There have been a few really outstanding girls that seem to turn up at a lot of them, but quite often it's the same names from specific schools that are well known on the circuit. I just wonder if enough is being done to promote them outside of the member associations of the TDCI. They are open to anyone after all.