World Ballet Day Live - 1 October 2015 confirmed

that wasn't me, Bruce!

Oh, and while completely off topic, just wanted to say thanks so for that insightful review you wrote on BA comparing the recent performances of Sleeping Beauty by NBoC (Nureyev) and ABT (Ratmansky).  T'was wonderful. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Royal Opera house have announced that they will be taking part with the same companies as in 2014 for world ballet day.

I am disappointed that no other companies will be involved :(

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/world-ballet-day-2015-to-take-place-on-1-october

However, the announcement includes the following:

"In addition to behind-the-scenes streaming from Melbourne, Moscow, London, Montréal and San Francisco, the day will  feature pre-recorded footage from a range of regional dance organizations who are based close to the five companies. These companies include Bangarra Dance TheatreBirmingham Royal BalletDutch National Ballet,English National BalletHamburg BalletHouston BalletNorthern BalletPacific Northwest Ballet, and Scottish Ballet."

The pre-recorded footage could be very interesting.

• Like 5

I'd have thought most coach services have Wi-Fi nowadays (although I know from experience on the Oxford Tube that it can be patchy).  Whether the T&Cs allow watching videos may be another matter, of course: it may be that they don't have the capacity.

Well yes, but the live RB feed is in the morning, when young UK viewers are at school & those at vocational school are in the studio!

surely it can't hurt them to watch the National Ballet of Canada or San Francisco Ballet????

all of these feeds are in the morning and midday of the time zone of the local ballet companies, because, umm, that's when  they have class and rehearsals.

• Like 1

Well, the British companies have done very well out of this with all of the 'big five' featured in some way. I'm surprised that more mainland European companies aren't being shown eg POB, Stuttgart and would have preferred the live feed to have come from a different selection of companies to last year's to give more variety.

• Like 2

Yes, I appreciate the time zone issue but, for example, there are at least three other 'East Coast' companies in the US which could be featured as well as NBoC and several European companies which could be shown instead of the RB which already has very considerable exposure via the cinema broadcasts which include interviews and rehearsal clips. Personally, I'd love to see the Joffrey and some less well known companies such as Bejart and Monte-Carlo rather than the obvious choices of the RB, the Bolshoi and the Mariinsky but I don't suppose that the broadcast would 'sell' as well without the big names.

• Like 1

several European companies which could be shown instead of the RB

But as I was implying, if you can find one in the same timezone ... there's already a 5-hour gap between GMT and ET or whatever it is New York is on.  Going for a European company would extend that to 6 hours, minimum.

Interesting that no other Russian Companies (besides the Bolshoi) are going to be represented, even with pre-recorded clips. 

I wonder if that is a reflection of e.g. the Mariinsky mindset?  After all, they haven't embraced the opportunity to do live broadcasts, either.

• 2 weeks later...

Reading the 1/10/15 schedule on the link so kindly provided immediately above it does seem that World Ballet Day really has come on apace from even last year's fine inaugural effort.  I hugely applaud all the core companies in their collective largess in reaching out to and sharing the work of so many more world class companies than in 2014.  It can but serve a general good for ALL and is a meaningful example of generosity in our oft difficult times.  

Bravi.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

I do hope that much of it will be available on demand afterwards, as has been the case in the past.  I'll have to miss almost all of it live, as I'll be on a train home in the morning following an overnight trip, and then at the ROH for the R&J matinee and Cheri evening show...

Sadly the people who were checking out which segments will be online after the live broadcast and for how long have not yet been able to give me an answer. I've sent another post and do hope this information will be available soon,

Personally I won't be able to watch anything like 23 continuous hours of ballet, though I do have some commitments on that day that can now be shifted around - but such juggling probably won't be possible in another few days. I know of other people in a similar situation. It would be great to be able to plan which segments to watch live on the 1st, and to know that it will be possible to catch up on the rest later. 

• Like 1

It's a shame the so-called "schedule" hasn't been a little more specific about timings: I'm sure some things will be fitted in on an as-and-when basis, but they can surely give approximate timings of classes, rehearsals and so on.

• Like 4