Two schools at once...

Nutcracker-x

I think this may have came up before however I can't seem to find any threads at the current moment in time.

I recently moved back to my old dance school as I wasn't feeling very happy at the one I had moved to so after some considerable amount of thought I moved back. When I left old one (the one I am in now, let's name it school A) I had been studying for my grade 5 ballet. Once I left and moved to the new one (school B ) I was also studying grade 5 however at a much slower pace then in school A. By the time I left school B at the end of May, I had been studying the grade 5 for 2 and 1/2 years maybe slightly longer and there was no talk in my doing the exam any time soon (this wasn't the reason for leaving) the move back to school A meant that I had to move up to grade 6 as the class i was with previously had done their exam the previous March and had moved up and there is no grade 5 as this current moment in time. I was happy about moving up however slightly disappointed as it meant I wouldn't be able to do the exam. After a talk with mum, I decided to ask my teacher whether there was anyway I could do the exam, say by doing private lessons. The teacher said she would have a look at the timetable and see if she could fit any in. This evening in my class she told me that with the extra exam classes running up to the exam session in September, there was no room for privates however if I wanted to do the exam then she could maybe find me a school that would be willing to teach me the grade 5 at the same time as doing the grade 6 with her. However, I don't know if this is the best of ideas and whether ot is a wise decision to be at 2 schools at once especially when I've got the likes of GCSEs to be preparing for next year.

Sorry that this was so long, not sure how to shorten it.

Thanks x

Edited by Nutcracker-x

Hi there, well you have been doing grade 5 for a long time, so you will probably know the syllabus off by heart by now!

Maybe ask your teacher whether you could continue with Grade 6, and the next time exams are booked at your school, the teacher can enter you for the Grade 5 exam, and then have a few top-up grade 5 lessons just to refresh your memory beforehand.

Are you able to borrow a copy of the Grade 5 music or DVD?

• Like 4

Personally I would focus completely on Grade 6 and not let it bother you that you haven't done the Grade 5 exam. Having said that, if your teacher has given their blessing for you to go elsewhere to do it, I don't see the problem in that. If you think you can balance your dance hours with school, then go for it. And if you do know the majority of the G5 work, it may just be a case of booking a few private lessons with someone your teacher trusts, just to check through the work and make sure you're up to exam standard. 

• Like 2

I'd be inclined to let the grade 5 go now as well and just work really hard at the grade 6.

It wouldn't be held against you down the line not to have the grade 5 I'm pretty sure but maybe as you've spent so long doing this grade you just feel you want something to show for it!!

Your teacher sounds very supportive so try and go for it (if you do plan on doing it) as soon as poss so it's out of the way and you don't get bored with it which can happen when overlong in a grade (same with music exams I feel!)

• Like 4

Hi there, well you have been doing grade 5 for a long time, so you will probably know the syllabus off by heart by now!

Maybe ask your teacher whether you could continue with Grade 6, and the next time exams are booked at your school, the teacher can enter you for the Grade 5 exam, and then have a few top-up grade 5 lessons just to refresh your memory beforehand.

Are you able to borrow a copy of the Grade 5 music or DVD?

Thanks taxi, I hadn't thought about that! I'll have a word when I next see my teacher but I don't see why that should be a problem. I already have a copy of the DVD which I've been using to keep refreshing my mind on the work.

• Like 1

I'd be inclined to let the grade 5 go now as well and just work really hard at the grade 6.

It wouldn't be held against you down the line not to have the grade 5 I'm pretty sure but maybe as you've spent so long doing this grade you just feel you want something to show for it!!

Your teacher sounds very supportive so try and go for it (if you do plan on doing it) as soon as poss so it's out of the way and you don't get bored with it which can happen when overlong in a grade (same with music exams I feel!)

You practically just repeated what my teacher said to me when I asked about it!! :D the only reason I really want to do it is because I've put so much work and time into learning the syllabus that it seemed a disappointment not to do the exam after all the work :)

• Like 1

I think my teacher was manning on putting me in the next exam session in the spring which is when she is also hoping i would do the grade 6. Also realised I'd put 2 and a half years instead of 1 and a half :)

Edited by Nutcracker-x

If you've moved on and up, personally I wouldn't bother.  Concentrate on the Grade 6 and enjoy it's beauty,  There is so much in Grade 6 - it will drive you forward and hopefully inspire you to advance considerably.  The Higher Grades teach you so much both in technique and quality and Grade 6 is particularly rich.  I would just go for it - taking the Grade 5 or not has absolutely no impact on your future as a dancer.  If you know the work and can do it, and I would expect that after 2 1/2 years you could do it in your sleep, that's all you need.  Next.............

I disagree - I was once in a similar situation as you Nutcracker - and I went back & did the lower grade exam & it was the highest mark I ever got. If you want the piece of paper I can totally relate to that on a personal level. Nothing worse than spending the rest of your life thinking "I wish I'd done that...."!

I'm not of course saying no-one should ever skip a grade - there are circumstances where it may be appropriate if all parties are in agreement - but it depends on the wishes of the dancer & IMO these should always be respected in this regard.

• Like 1

I think I've decided to wait until my teacher has time to give me the classes need to do the grade 5 as I don't really like the idea of going to 2 schools at once even if my teacher does agree with it. It also might deem to be quite stressful once September comes around due to GCSEs and sixth form open evening etc. I think you've hit the nail on the head there youngatheart! Its just the thought of thinking later in life that I'd wished I'd done it!!! Do you think there's any age limit on taking the grades??!! ????

• Like 1