Royal Opera House Cinema Season 2015/2016

The Royal opera house had announced their cinema season for 2015/2016 which is timetabled as followed;

Romeo and Juliet 22 September at 7.15pm

The Royal Ballet

By Kenneth MacMillan

Music: Sergey Prokofiev

Le nozze di Figaro, 5 October at 6.45pm

The Royal Opera

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Dir: David McVicar

Cond: Ivor Bolton

Cast includes Erwin Schrott and Anita Hartig

Viscera / Afternoon of a Faun / Tchaikovsky pas de deux / Carmen, 12 November at 7.15pm

The Royal Ballet

By Liam Scarlett / Jerome Robbins / George Balanchine / NEW Carlos Acosta

Music: Lowell Liebermann / Claude Debussy / Piotr Il'yich Tchaikovsky / Georges Bizet

Cavalleria rusticana / Pagliacci NEW, 10 December at 7.15pm

The Royal Opera

Pietro Mascagni / Ruggero Leoncavallo

Dir: Damiano Michieletto

Cond: Antonio Pappano

Cast includes Eva-Maria Westbroek, Dimitri Platanias, Aleksandrs Antonenko and Carmen Giannattasio

The Nutcracker, 16 December at 7.15pm

The Royal Ballet

By Peter Wright, after Lev Ivanov

Music: Pyotr Il'yich Tchaikovsky

Rhapsody / The Two Pigeons, 26 January at 7.15pm

The Royal Ballet

By Frederick Ashton

Music: Sergey Rachmaninoff / André Messager, arranged by John Lanchbery

La traviata, 4 February at 6.45pm

The Royal Opera

Giuseppe Verdi

Dir: Richard Eyre

Cond: Yves Abel

Cast includes Venera Gimadieva and Saimir Pirgu

Boris Godunov NEW, 21 March at 7.15pm

The Royal Opera

Modest Musorgsky

Dir: Richard Jones

Cast includes Bryn Terfel, Kostas Smoriginas and John Tomlinson

Giselle, 6 April at 7.15pm

The Royal Ballet

By Marius Petipa, after Jean Coralli and Jules Perrot

Music: Adolphe Adam, revised by Joseph Horovitz

Lucia di Lammermoor NEW, 25 April at 7.15pm

The Royal Opera

Gaetano Donizetti

Dir: Katie Mitchell

Cond: Daniel Oren

Cast includes Diana Damrau and Charles Castronovo

Frankenstein NEW, 18 May at 7.15pm

The Royal Ballet

By Liam Scarlett

Music: Lowell Liebermann

Werther, 27 June at 7.15pm

The Royal Opera

Jules Massenet

Dir: Benoît Jacquot

Cast includes Vittorio Grigolo and Joyce DiDonato

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Where can I find the latest casting for RB cinema transmissions.  I have no problems with the full length ballets but the info on RB's website is unhelpful for the mixed bills, particularly the Rhapsody/Two Pigeons programme.

On the booking page by tapping each ballet individually shows the cast for that ballet. Hope that helps

I still don't understand what's happening with the Rhapsody/Two Pigeons filming.  If I'm to believe what it says in the winter season brochure, they seem to be filming different casts (the first "night" one, followed by I think it was the Cuthbertson Two Pigeons?).  Either that, or the filmed performances have been marked incorrectly.

I still don't understand what's happening with the Rhapsody/Two Pigeons filming.  If I'm to believe what it says in the winter season brochure, they seem to be filming different casts (the first "night" one, followed by I think it was the Cuthbertson Two Pigeons?).  Either that, or the filmed performances have been marked incorrectly.

I don't have the winter season brochure but, according to the production page on the ROH website, only one cast is being filmed for each of the two ballets in this mixed bill:

http://www.roh.org.uk/mixed-programmes/rhapsody-the-two-pigeons

It's the same for Giselle - it says Filming on both the 31st March and 6th April, which was why I checked. The advertised cinema screening is 6th April and they confirmed that that was still the case. I would email them to check; they got back to me fairly quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried, and failed, to locate a cinema in central(ish) London which is having a repeat screening of the Carmen programme on Sunday afternoon (15th Nov). Can anyone advise, please?

I used the ROH locator here: http://www.roh.org.uk/search/screenings?location=London+N1%2C+UK

I found that the VUE in Islington is showing it :)

EDIT: To be clear, I had a spare couple of minutes and wanted to help,  rather than 'smug'. Give a bit of happiness to the world on a Friday :)

Edited by SwissBalletFan

I have tried, and failed, to locate a cinema in central(ish) London which is having a repeat screening of the Carmen programme on Sunday afternoon (15th Nov). Can anyone advise, please?

There are a few options in outer London:  The Odeon, Wimbledon, for example, is only 10 minutes by train from Waterloo or Stratford Picturehouse/Vue are about 20 minutes by Jubilee line.   Depends on where you live of course but Kingston, Beckenham, Putney might be possible (all Odeons).   I find the choice a bit surprising since I would expect a mixed bill like this to appeal more in central areas like the West End or Islington, all of which showed the first transmission.

Linda

I find it tends to be very unreliable :(

I haven't been to Wimbledon Odeon for a while - I think it started getting expensive, although I'm hoping they may have revised that by now - but the screens and seats are generally good.  It's a multiplex, so there's usually plenty of screens for them to choose from.  Beckenham Odeon tends to have them nowadays in a wide-but-not-deep screen, which usually leaves me wanting to climb out the back wall.  I like Stratford Picturehouse (in fact, I like most of the Picturehouses I've visited) - it has a big screen (I've never seen it well-populated) and you have the luxury of being able to get a coffee and piece of cake or something during the intervals, which is very nice.  (The Ritzy in Brixton is also easily accessible from central London, but I don't know whether it does the encore performances.  From the little I've seen of it, the screens seem to be rather small.)

Thank you swissballetfan and loveclassics. I did try the ROH locator but didn't manage to find what you both have found.

Very welcome :) It does have a note to say to check often as more performances are added, I therefore think they might be new. I can imagine depending upon reviews, especially for this triple bill where the improving reviews may have had an effect :)

Yes, I know some Odeons have added extra showings as they book up (Wimbledon having 2 whole - large - screens for the Osipova Giselle a couple of years ago - and both full).  I suppose it also depends on what else is on and how well *that* is selling - if sales are proving poor, the cinema may be prepared to take a chance on repeating a live show if that has sold well.

(This just after Odeon have sent me a 40%-off voucher for this weekend only - valid for virtually everything except SPECTRE.  Except that SPECTRE seems to be virtually the only thing showing in my local!)

I also have found the ROH locator a little unreliable but I find it's worth logging into the websites of the individual chains such as Odeon, Vue etc.  to get up to date information. 

You can often get 2 for 1 or other discounted tickets as well - I get 2 for 1 at weekends in Odeons, via my Times online subscription (plus freebies for previews) and now the Meerkats are in on the act as well.  I thought special transmissions like those from the ROH might be excluded but no, you can still get 2 for 1 on Tuesdays and Wednesdays if you've bought insurance through their website in the last year.

Sorry if this sounds like a promotional blurb but we OAPs have to find bargains where we can!

Linda