Ballet Theatre UK - Aladdin

So glad I went today. Such a shame that the audience was so small but they were appreciative.

Stand out performances for me (and my companions I believe) were Pedro Santos, Charlotte Eades and David Brewer (the latter being by far the best male at partnering).

They all do such a great job considering they get no stage rehearsal and I believe, as the stage is small at Camberley, they have to adjust for less "staging" than they usually use.

Please support them if they come to a theatre near you.

• Like 3

Todays Runcorn cast

Aladdin Rudolf Giacolone

Princess Sarah Mortimer

Genie Pedro Santos

Slave of the Ring Natalie Cawte

Sorcerer David Brewer

Once again advance ticket sales are disappointing so please, if you can, go and support them and see a rather stunning Ballet as well. Its not just the high calibre of the dancers worth seeing but the fact that they do have a full set ( not just a blank screen at the back!) plus a vast array of stunningly colourful costumes.

Edited by hfbrew
  • Like 2

We're really looking forward to tonights performance, as we loved their performance of Swan Lake.  Can anyone tell me the running time as we are reliant on public transport back to Liverpool?  

Thank you

I would say allow 2 hours.

Enjoy!  I did when I saw it in Southport.

Yes, the performance should be finished 9.30pm. Enjoy!

• Like 1

Loved the show too at the Brindley. I would highly recommend it if it's coming to a theatre near you. The small children sat behind us were obviously mesmerized as well, not a sound from them throughout the whole performance.

• Like 2

They are, aren't they?  I wasn't even aware they were appearing at the Baylis - is this yet again Sadler's not giving any info about performances they are promoting?  

Just a shame that getting up there is going to cost me almost as much as the ticket.  Thank you very much, Boris! :(

I think I'll have to stick to Croydon.

• Like 1

They are, aren't they?  I wasn't even aware they were appearing at the Baylis - is this yet again Sadler's not giving any info about performances they are promoting?  

Just a shame that getting up there is going to cost me almost as much as the ticket.  Thank you very much, Boris! :(

I think I'll have to stick to Croydon.

Unfortunately as its a private hire, Sadlers wont give any help promoting it at all. It will not be on their website.

So please, anyone in the London area, tell people about this chance to see a very hard working British company in their latest production. As others have testified, its well worth seeing. And you will be doing your bit to support a new company primarily made up of UK trained dancers!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
Bumping this again as just over a week to go and sadly still low ticket sales due to no publicity on Sadlers Wells website ( on account of it being private hire.)

On another thread there is talk of high ticket prices. Well why not try a completely different, UK self funded company with lots of young talent for just £12?

Please, even if you cant go do tell folks about this opportunity to see a different Ballet, ideal prices for students!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Cast for Bishops Stortford (Rhodes Theatre)tonight.

Aladdin - David Brewer

Princess - Ines Ferreira

Genie- Philip Tunstall

Slave of the ring- Jessica Hill

Sorcerer- Vincent Cabot

Do go if you can, it's a lovely Ballet to watch and the dancers would really appreciate the support!

• Like 1

Croydon matinee

Aladdin Rudolf Giacolone

Princess Sarah Mortimer

Genie Pedro Santos

Slave of the Ring Natalie Caste

Sorcerer David Brewer

Evening

Aladdin David Brewer

Princess Ines Ferreira

Genie Philip Tunstall

Slave of the Ring Jessica Hill

Sorcerer Vincent Cabot

(Same as Bishops Stortford)

Copying this here as I had erroneously posted it in the "news" thread:

Well, dd and I saw Aladdin at Bishops Stortford on Thursday and we really enjoyed the performance. I would hazard a guess that around 65-70% of seats had been sold so the dancers got a good solid round of applause and there was some cheering at the end. The company has increased slightly in size since we saw "Little Mermaid", and there now seem to be 6 or so men which is a bonus.

Fortunately we know David Brewer who danced Aladdin beautifully; I recognised several other dancers from the website, but there were a few not listed. Unlike "Little Mermaid" there were no programmes on sale and no cast lists, which I can't help feeling is a real drawback, especially when the website isn't updated - not only was I slightly confused at times, but it's so nice to see who is dancing which part, the origin of the music etc. My recollection of the story was therefore slightly fuzzy and there were a couple of moments where I had no clue what was happening. Several people asked where they could buy programmes so it wasn't just us.

On the upside, the costumes and set were fabulous. The colours of the marketplace were so vibrant and cheerful we did feel transported to faraway lands. No idea of the origins of the music but it was very well put together and particularly lovely during the pdds between Aladdin and the Princess. On the whole, the dancing was excellent; a couple of instances where one of the couples was slightly out of synch but other than that, technically very good. Many of the dancers showed extremely good musicality.

From memory, the Princess was played by Iñes Ferreira and she is a beautiful dancer. She suffered an unfortunate costume malfunction in the wedding pdd but you wouldn't have known it from her face. She carried on regardless and didn't hold back at all. She has gorgeous lines and uses her hands so expressively. There was a lovely rapport between her and David Brewer whose technique, lines and acting are super. He is a lovely dancer to watch.

Choreography was excellent; real variation and Chris Moore really used the music well. For a small company on a small stage, there were some real moments of beauty and I found myself surprisingly moved. The sign of a good night out for me is whether there are moments when I can forget my physical pain - and BTUK delivered on that score.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned from seeing Aladdin at the Key Theatre, Peterborough with my dd. We both enjoyed the performance, excellent costuming, creative choreography, quality acting and humour with beautiful dancing. Particularly enjoyed the Geni "flying" and his pdd with slave of the ring and the final pdd for Aladdin and the Princess was lovely! Unfortunately the theatre was only half full, we applauded as loudly as we could, but felt the dancers deserved more. We will definitely look forward to seeing more from this company in the future.

RK

• Like 2

A question aimed at Hfbrew! I saw this yesterday having read about the dancers on the BTUK site beforehand. There were certainly more dancers in the performance than listed - are they BTUK school students or do they take on dancers for specific runs?

• Like 1

Yes, new dancers and website update long overdue.Yesterday should have been Rudolf Giacolone cast. (See my post 53).

I say should because cancelled shows mean that sometimes casts have been switched to split work load.

Hope you enjoyed it and thank you for supporting this hard working company.

• Like 1