Washing tutu!!

Tacey

Anyone got any tips for washing /refreshing white tutu please? I have put in the washing machine once & it went limp & lack lustre!! Now have 20 that need cleaning for a school show - supposed to be beautiful white snowflakes but they currently look like that horrible inbetween stage when the snow's turning a bit sludgey!! Can't really afford to buy 20 new ones & the area I'm in the parents won't be in a position to pay either! Thanks in advance xx

I washed my daughters tutu in the bath with the brightener that you use for net curtains. It came up like new the white was so bright!!

while it was damp i hung it on the line upside down and sprayed with startch.

it didnt lose its shape and remained stiff.

Hope they come up nice for you x :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Thanks everyone! I got the starch & brightening powder from Wilkos but am waiting for a sunny day so I can hang them on the washing line outside!  I'm abit worried about the starch aspect, do you have to iron to activate the stiffening process?  Was thinking I could maybe starch then hang upside down & blast with a hairdryer!!! x

We had the opposite problem - new romantic tutus that were made from such stiff net that when the girls lifted their knees, the tutu stayed up even when they put their leg back down!   I washed them in the bath and they didn't soften at all, it was only when I did them in the washing machine that they softened enough to use.  So I would definitely recommend hand washing them in the bath, rather than machine wash.  I think if you don't soak them too long and use cold water you may not even need starch.