Northern Ballet CAT

Mae989

I was wondering if anyone had experience of the CAT programme in Leeds? DD is still waiting on first round results that should've been out by Friday 13th! Don't know if it's a bad sign she hasn't heard yet?! I think the second round is finals for associates and second round CAT. If she gets to this stage what is expected in the audition?

Then there's a final 2 day intensive in April. Does anyone know what happens at this stage and if there is a certain 'type' Northern are looking for?

Also, is there anyone out there who has been part of the programme or has a DD or DS there than can give me any feedback about the course? If DD gets to this stage, fingers crossed, is it a good option in comparison to vocational school?

We also haven't heard from Northern Ballet re first audition, so assume they haven't yet sent letters out. My daughter has previously taken the Easter course at Northern Ballet, but this is the first time she has auditioned for the CAT programme. I too would appreciate comments from anyone with experience of this programme. Thanks Mae989 for asking the question.

DD auditioned for associates but not CAT so we are waiting for a letter too.  I understand from another mum at our dance school that letters were actually posted on Friday, so we should hear any day now (no idea if it was first or second class).

Good luck everyone

Yes, we are waiting to hear if DD is through to the next round on the 29th. She is auditioning for summer school, associates and CAT. I'm not fully clear on how it works, but assume the second audition on the 29th is both the final associate auditions and the next round of CAT auditions. There is then a two day intensive CAT auditions in April, should she get that far in the process.

Last year we just auditioned for associates and Summer School (although switched this to Easter course due to a date clash with York Scholars summer school). She got through to the second round of auditions, however after the second audition we received a letter to say she hadn't secured a place on the associate scheme. After that she then auditioned for the York associate scheme (about April time I think), and started last September. She  has really enjoyed that.  

Thank you. If DD is successful at Northern, either with Associates or CAT, we will have to leave York Scholars, which will be a shame as she really enjoys it. However, DD is not hopeful about gaining a place at Northern, after not getting through last year. She will also still have to get through the York Scholars assessment to keep her place, so at the moment she is trying her best for everything, and see what, if anything, she is offered!

• Like 2

Thank you SarahW for the info, that is really useful. I think DD was keen to consider Northern over York as she understood the classes were longer; she currently only does 9.45 to 11.05 am at York, but they are 9am until 1pm at Northern.

We've just had an email saying DD has been recalled to the second audition for the Intermediate Associates, which is great news. Am assuming that means she has not been successful on the CAT programme, but not sure. It looks like they are emailing everyone today, so if you are still waiting keep an eye on your email! Good luck everyone :)

• Like 4

If you look at the destination of Northern Ballet CAT students, it is impressive - also at the students who go back to Northern Ballet.

We lived just too far to make it logistically possible else it would have been an equal contender to vocational school

Be aware that they have their own teaching style, will no doubt suit some down to the ground but not all.

• Like 1

We looked seriously at the CAT scheme at northern but like you meadowblythe just too far. I think its a fantastic place, training and opportunity. I have seen a large number of york scholars who are in no way shape or form going to make classical dancers, it may be a nice extra Saturday class but there are far more serious schemes around if your child has aspirations of being a professional dancer.

• Like 3

I don't think it is particularly helpful to try to decide which is a "better" associate scheme. :-)

An important thing to remember is that every single associate scheme, regardless of where the scheme is situated, is supposed to be *in addition* to a student's main training. It is designed to complement local training, not replace it.

I would be surprised therefore to hear of any good Associate scheme making a student's technique deteriorate. This has not been my experience.

• Like 4

It's good to hear people's experiences, things always change over the years but it's nice to know if people do recommend a certain associate scheme. I understand they are in addition but would rather send my dd to one where children are thriving. I believe York have about 22 per class.

• Like 1

Dd's dance teacher has girls in York scholars, northern and RB Leeds & Manchester. She feels northern would be best choice (dd too old for RB Leeds and Manchester is a bit too far). She is very complementary about northern in particular and I trust her judgement. She has a great track record of students getting into vocational school. Whilst I value opinion of all the contributors on this forum, in this case I will trust that our dance teacher knows best.

So going back to my question, any tips and advice would be gratefully received

• Like 4

Hello Mae898, Alexa and shygirlsmum. This is my first posting on the forum but I thought I would take the plunge when I saw your thread as I am an actual Northern Ballet CAT mum.

My dd is on the CAT scheme and absolutely loves it. It is a big commitment in terms of time and travel. Students are required to attend intensives most holidays, including a 3 week summer school, and all students are required to go back to basics when they start the scheme. On the plus side the fees are affordable (all intensives are included in the annual fee which is means tested) and I get to see my dd every day, a big bonus (for me anyway) over vocational school.

Since starting the scheme my dd's strength and flexibility has improved enormously, along with her confidence and organisational skills! Homework is always done on time!

Classes are held in the amazing Northern Ballet building and students often get to watch the company rehearse during the intensive courses. They also watch the company perform. This month my dd has attended both Romeo and Juliet and the Northern Ballet Sapphire Gala held at the Leeds Grand (please see thread on Performances Seen).

It is a while since she auditioned but as I recall she attended first of all for the Associates Audition and then for a 2/3 day Easter Intensive before final decisions were made about the CAT scheme. She didn't have to prepare for anything special - just turned up and enjoyed the experience of attending classes. She had a great time.

I would be more than happy to meet for a coffee and a chat at the final CAT auditions if you would like to send me a pm.

Tell your dds to enjoy the audition days. They are quite relaxed and the teachers are lovely!!

Edited by Yorkshire Pud
  • Like 11

Hi Yorkshire Pud

I'm not a regular contributor, I tend to pop in from time to time when i need guidance. I have found everyone to be really welcoming and extremely helpful.  

Thank you for sharing your experiences, it is really valuable to hear from people who have first hand experience. 

:)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...