Ballet Schools Abroad?

MeganReid

Megan, it's quite a lot to read through, but in the "British students training abroad" thread parents talk about their children attending the Bolshoi School in Russia and the Harrid and Vaganova Schools in the US. Afab can also tell you about schools in France. Apparently there are a couple of students training in Hamburg. You could also send a pm to the parents concerned.

• Like 1

When we were looking for SIs for our DS in an attempt to evaluate a) how he would rate in an international arena and B) whether he really liked the reality of intensive training, DS's ballet teacher recommended as her 'top notch' international schools (Kirov as No 1 but the rest in no particular order, and with the caveat that she teaches vaganova so obviously favours that one):

Kirov Washington

School of American Ballet

San Fransisco Ballet

Ben Stevens Academy (Houston Ballet)

American ballet Theatre

RBS

Of course Vaganova and Bolshoi in Russia would have been included as top schools but we were looking at SIs specifically. I think she didn't put forward rest of Europe because of the language barrier (he was only 12 at the time). As far as I am aware all international ballet schools accept auditions from overseas students- does anyone know one that doesn't?

• 6 months later...

Have any of you heard of the Ellison Ballet School in New York.? Looking at their students on You Tube,they look fantastic. They have a summer school,and a year long intensive. On Y.T. there is a link to their website. Looks impressive.For ages 12 or 13 up to 19,I think. Great guest teachers,too.

• Like 1

DS has a 100% scholarship to the Kirov in washington. A friend of his who went to the most recent summer school was offered a 25% scholarship. So as far as Kirov goes yes scholarships are offered irrespective of nationality. As regards having to attend SIs in order to be considered for the year round programme even where this is specified on a school's website I have heard of people being offered places at some schools on the basis of an audition tape. However I don't think you would get offered a scholarship to the full time programme if they hadn't seen you first via an SI. Of course it varies greatly from place to place...this is just our personal experience.

If you want to know about schools in the USA the best place to research this is on the US version of this forum- ballet talk for dancers http://dancers.invisionzone.com/ where there is a wealth of discussion and experince (although I have to say they are nowhere near as active a forum as this one!!)

• Like 1

DD knows of friends of friends who went to the ballet school in Dresden, Germany. These 2 girls were actually German but the higher dance courses are certainly open to international students and the web pages provide information in English. There are no course fees but there is a fee for the student union, transport card, membership etc but I believe that is no more than 200 euros a term. I don't know if that is true of other German dance schools or not. The one in Dresden is called Palucca (not sure if I have spelt that right).