What are you reading?

Jan McNulty

I wondered why Dr Sparrow had only written two books. I realised why when I got halfway through this one, when I gave up. I almost never do that, but it was simply a rehash of his previous book.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I am reading Emannual LeRoy Ladurie's book about St Simon, Versaiiles and 17th-18th century France.

This looks like something I'd enjoy - non-fiction - yea!

Ordered it from my public library. Thanks, Fiz. I'm always looking for a good historian.

• Like 1

I'm ashamed to admit that I gave up on FFTMC after 9 pages. I love the ballet though!

Well it's not my favourite Hardy but I think that's because of the film version.

Reading the synopsis of the ballet, it strikes me as a busy story. See you in Birmingham I hope.

• 2 weeks later...

tomuchtallent,

let me know how you get on with it please.

I saw them in the bookshop & read a good review about them. Got quite a few books to read at the moment before my next purchase but would be good to hear your thoughts.

smallbythesea

Smallbythesea,

Its a very easy read and you can finish them all very quickly,a bit addictive really!I found myself lol so many times and if your near someone who has read it they would laugh along with you without knowing which part you were reading!

Janet! or domino pizza(DOM) lol xxxx thanks for that,had a good giggle xxx

• Like 2

tomuchtallent and Janet,

Started the fifty shades of grey trilogy .....very addictive. Someone let me start it on their kindle at work on our meal break - bad mistake. Tried to source it, even online it has sold out & there are 78 people waiting for a copy at the library!!! Unfortunately for my dh I persuaded him to put it on his kindle for me, he will have to get the 2nd book for me shortly lol. I would love the actual books though, nothing like holding a book.

• Like 2

I am reading a book about the history of the development of the humble aspirin! I had to do epidemiology and disease on popultaion as part of my history degree and I got hooked on it!

You might enjoy "The Invention of Air" by Stephen Johnson - about the discovery of what constitutes "air."

also "God's Secretaries" by Adam Nicolson - the writing of the King James version of the Bible

also "The Professor and the Madman" by Simon Winchester - about the making of the Oxford Dictionary

all three very interesting.

I'm on the 2nd book of the Fifty Shades trilogy - difficult to put down - but not one to read in public ;) Don't books have age ratings.....?

And before that I zoomed through the Hunger Games books - they were really gripping - and quite an emotional rollercoaster. Don't often cry reading books but there were a couple of moments in there that took me by surprise.

Thanks for the thread though as I feel I should try something a bit more "serious" next time so I'll look into some of the others that have been mentioned.

• Like 2

I was thinking the same about age restrictions!There is so much talk about 50 shades on FB,that my kids asked if they could read it!! hiding them now!

I was on the beach reading no2 and a English girl came up to me and wanted to pay me for a few days for the book! she just finished number 1 and couldnt wait!I loaned her the book but didnt take her money.

• Like 1

I finished the trilogy yesterday. Apparently even the e-books have sold out now! It just goes to show that hype can pay......

I'm now on The Great Gatsby, getting ready for Northern Ballet's brand new ballet next year!

PS - at least with an e-book reader no-one can see what you are reading!

Fiz, I just read The Pursuit of Love, Love in a Cold Climate and The Blessing by Nancy Mitford and loved them! I read them because the comedian Josie Long, who I really like, often talks about the Mitfords and I was a bit surprised by how brilliant and witty her writing style is! Not sure why I was surprised or what I was expecting!

Now I'm reading Paddy Clarke ha ha ha by Roddy Doyle - also great.

Edited by JaneL
  • Like 1

Fifty shades of grey trilogy finished this morning - luckily for my neighbour who can't get hold of the 3rd copy, so she has borrowed my dh kindle!!!!

Back to the Lee Child book I was originally reading before I started 50 shades. Got quite a few on my bookshelf unread but might check out the summer book offers that seem to be on at every supermarket.

I'm now on The Great Gatsby, getting ready for Northern Ballet's brand new ballet next year!

Janet, perhaps you should come down to London and watch the 8-hour play!

I'm still intermittently ploughing through the Solway Nureyev biography.

• Like 1

I've just read a review of the 50 shades trilogy which was so funny. Not sure if it sounds like my kind of thing - it was described as Barbara Cartland with lots of knobs (!)

I am currently reading all the Rebus novels by Ian Rankin. I am trying to read them in order, and they are very entertaining.

We recently did The Crimson Petal and the White for our book club book, and that was an excellent read. Huge book, but difficult to put down once I'd started.

• Like 2

I am reading a book about the history of the development of the humble aspirin! I had to do epidemiology and disease on popultaion as part of my history degree and I got hooked on it!

Fiz, you put me to shame. :-D Just started 50 Shades of Grey but TBH so far I think I prefer the Belle du Jour books

• Like 1