Birmingham Royal Ballet: The Nutcracker, November 2014

I made the trip up to Birmingham's Hippodrome Theatre this week, to see Birmingham Royal Ballet's Nutcracker rehearsal. Armed with camera, here are a few samples of the results. Well worth the trip I have to say, as I'd never before managed to catch this marvelous production.

15284587903_100c0ab153_z.jpg
Snow Fairy - Jenna Roberts
© Dave Morgan. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

15716728208_b73091e953_z.jpg
Clara and Mirlitons (Karla Doorbar, with Mirlitons Jade Heusen, Reina Fuchigami, Miki Mizutani)

15718161959_98313ba407_z.jpg
Sugar Plum Fairy and Prince (Momoko Hirata, Joseph Caley)

See more...
Set from DanceTabs - Birmingham Royal Ballet ‘Nutcracker’
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the BRB Nutcracker this week, with Elisha Willis and Iain Mackay as the Sugar Plum Fairy and Prince, and Laura-Jane Gibson as Clara.

My first post on the ballecoforum, and surprised no one else has commented on this production, though I suppose discussion of London performances dominate the board in general. Ian Palmer on the ballet.co.uk site wrote (in 2007) of the Nutcracker performed by BRB :- 'It is widely regarded, and rightly so, as the best Nutcracker in the land.'

I had not seen this production before, although the Nutcracker was the first ballet I ever saw (like many people I suppose) - the ENB Derek Deane version in at the London Coliseum the 90s. I have seen other Peter Wright grand classical ballet productions, Sleeping Beauty, Swan Lake, Giselle, and I admire them extremely, so I had high hopes for this one.

I would indeed say it's the best I've ever seen, and the other ones I've seen include the current Eagling ENB production and one by San Francisco Ballet (years ago, not sure whose production it was). This BRB Nutcracker really does have effect of a grand masterpiece, as Wright's other productions do.

Willis I've seen dance several times and I always look forward to her performances, she did not disappoint. I must say my personal highlight was Celine Gittens as the Rose Fairy.

Definitely worth the effort to see this, the run finishes today I believe.

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum north star. I have seen BRB's Nutcracker many many times and absolutely love it. I particularly enjoy the battle scene as it is danced by adult dancers (not children as in the RB version) and the more advanced choreography makes the scene more thrilling and exciting than other versions. And the snowflakes are just magical!

I have to say that I was slightly disappointed with the casting this year - it seems to be that they use it as an opportunity to let more junior dancers have a go at more senior roles. However, when I have paid full price for Saturday evening tickets, I expect to see a Sugar Plum Fairy who delivers an exquisite performance and unfortunately, this was far from the case this year and I felt let down.

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome Ribbons. Sorry to hear you felt let down by some of the performance you saw. Yes, the SPFairy grand pas is so emphatically the jewel in the crown that I can understand that if it is less than perfect it can spoil the experience, especially if you are a regular at the Nuctracker.

I am not against letting the junior company have a go at the top roles, but I tend to agree with your point about Saturday night. Was there perhaps a late cast change due to injury?

The Nutcracker blew me away when I first saw it, and turned me into a ballet fan. Although now I prefer the other 'Petipa' ballets, I'd go and see this one again. I loved the snowflakes, and I really enjoyed the Clara/Nutcracker pas de deux at the end of Act I. But my favourite remains the Arabian dance.

One very minor disappointment is that the BRB performance I saw did not have the vivandiere and solider dolls dance section as the RB version does, instead there was a jack in the box. I've only seen the RB filmed version but I think the choreography for that little section is beyond brilliant.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum, northstar, and thank you for posting. Unfortunately, I think we have a bit of a dearth of readers in the Birmingham area (or perhaps they just never post?), and what you might call our longer-distance balletgoers aren't always able to travel. I agree with you, though: I think BRB's is the best Nutcracker in the UK, and I only wish I could see it more often. (It's actually on my Christmas list, but I don't think anyone's found the DVD recently, so I guess I shall just have to suffer withdrawal symptoms).

• Like 1

I went to the Birmingham Hippodrome to see this production two weeks ago, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The cast I saw had Tyrone Singleton as the Prince, Laura Purkiss as Clara, Celine Gittens as the Sugar Plum fairy and Valentin Olovyannikov as Drosselmeyer.

The set was very beautiful and one of most detailed in terms of how elaborate the design was.  I couldn't stop looking at the background, especially in the opening scene where the family stand back admiring the tree.  The scene where Clara is flown across the stage drew a collective gasp from the audience, and made all off us feel like little kids, I think, in our wonder of it. 

I thought Laura Purkiss was particularly believable in her performance,  she really brought a sense of innocence to her role, and her dancing very much conveyed this feeling.

I also loved Valentin Olovyannikov as Drosselmeyer, who really made the most of the role, and I loved it every time one of the dancers disappeared under his cape, and then could be seen walking along the back of the scenery and into the wings.

Overall this is lovely production and visually stunning, and there was a real sense of the dancers enjoying being on stage as much we the audience enjoying watching them, which is really refreshing.  This is first visit to the Birmingham Hippodrome and watching the BRB and I cannot wait to see them again.

• Like 2

Thanks for the welcome Ribbons. Sorry to hear you felt let down by some of the performance you saw. Yes, the SPFairy grand pas is so emphatically the jewel in the crown that I can understand that if it is less than perfect it can spoil the experience, especially if you are a regular at the Nuctracker.

I am not against letting the junior company have a go at the top roles, but I tend to agree with your point about Saturday night. Was there perhaps a late cast change due to injury?

I am very supportive of more junior dancers being given opportunities but they must be able to cut it. There was no late cast change and the SPF was a soloist but just did not deliver, sorry to say.

BRB is my company and has been since I first saw SWRB in 1982. However, there is one issue which really grates on me and that is the lack of advance casting when they appear at the Hippodrome. I do realise that there are all sorts of hazards such as injury and pregnancy to contend but tickets are expensive and I would like to at least aim for a cast I want to see.

I booked a ticket very late in the day after the casting was released. I was extremely fortunate to see my absolute first choice which was Celine Gittens and Tyrone Singleton. Celine is still a soloist but for me she totally delivered and I am not alone when I say that I feel that her performanes make her well worthy of a higher ranking within the Company. Her pas de deux with Tyrone was a fitting climax to the piece and every time she smiled my heart soared.

I do think Ribbons has a point. This is a wonderful production but if a viewer feels the climactic pas de deux is a let down the evening is spoiled. The principal level of the company is affected by injury and pregnancy (although Natasha has had her baby now) so may be the performances at the weekend should be given to the most talented of the next tier down. I think had he seen Celine he would not have been so disappointed.

I also had the bonus of seeing Iain Mackay as Dross and Delia Matthews as the Snow Fairy. There is another SPF I would have been very happy to have seen.

Welcome Northstar. Just to say that the BRB version used to have both the variations you refer to and with the same choreography as the RB production as well as the Jack in the Box. They have been dropped over the years. I don't know whose choreography it is but it would not surprise me if it wax Sur Peter's own.

As you have so enjoyed seeing BRB may I recommend the Moving Stateside programme in February? If you are coming do let us know whuch performance in case you can meet sone of the BRB faithful.

• Like 1

Nice to hear some more experiences from the BRB Nutcracker.

Katie, I completely agree with you about the set design and sense of childlike joy and wonder it lends to the whole performance. Like you I adored the opening scene when the curtain goes up on the family home all done up for Christmas  - took me right back to childhood (which wasn't quite as grand)! I enjoyed the programme notes on the design (the genius of John F MacFarlane). It was also my first trip to the Hippodrome, but I've seen BRB on tour and overall I'd say they do they best productions I've seen (but then, I've never been to Covent Garden).

Like you Katie, I want to see BRB again and I'm sure I will. Two Pigeons thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the suggestion (or invite!) that does look like a interesting event. However, I am also thinking of the BRB Coppelia UK tour (at the Lowry, Salford, in March) which is very much more convenient travel-wise for me.

Thanks also Two Pigeons for the info about the doll variations. Since the performance I've been reading about the history of the BRB/RB productions by Sir Peter Wright and trying to work out how it has evolved from the original Russian Petipa/Ivanov creation into what I saw last week, all very fascinating stuff. I very much share your admiration for Gittens, when I saw her I thought she had the poise and technique of a principal (but what do I know?). 

Ribbons it was unlucky that you saw a inferior performance. I think we rightly expect very high standards from ballet companies; after all, the whole point of ballet (to me) is that it is the epitome of dance, and thus it is dreadfully disappointing when it falls short of perfection. While I've only seen BRB a handful of times, they were all brilliant, exquisite performances. But yes, I would expect nothing less. 

• Like 1

I was at the 2 performances on 2nd December.

For me, this really is the grandad of all productions and I just absolutely love it.  The first performance I was was a matinee in the first season 90/91 (if I had to take a guess I would say 2nd January 1991) and I have never forgotten the audience reaction.  I could never quite understand why we were all cheering a set change (specifically when the tree grows (and blummin' 'eck it grows!) and the fireplace grows (rotates) to reveal King Rat) but every time I see this production I am still awestruck by that transformation.  The set and costumes for the party scene in Act 1 exude richness and warmth.

By making the children's Mum an ex-dancer there is a logical reason for all the dancing in Act 1 (somewhat more dancing than I have seen in various other productions over the years).  And then to the transformation, the war with the rats, and the start of the journey through the snow.  I just adore the duet for Clara and the Nutcracker Prince, I find it very beautiful and am so carried away with it that I am always surprised when I realise the tree and fireplace have disappeared and the dancers have arrived in the land of snow!

With enormous flowers and fans hanging down the stage itself looks huge and provides plenty of space for the dancers in the variations in Act 2.  I find all the variations pleasant but I always particularly enjoy the Russian and the Mirlitons.  The gpdd is sublime.

In the afternoon Laura Purkiss was Clara with Tyrone Singleton as her Nutcracker Prince and Celine Gittens as Sugar Plum.  Laura was a total delight as Clara - she just inhabited the role.  If anyone was born to dance a Prince it is Tyrone and he was magnificent.  Celine was just divine as Sugar Plum (well actually she is divine in everything she does - surely she must be promoted to principal soon).  I like the way all the dancers stay in role as parents, friends and dance-partners during the party scene.  Alys Shee stood out as the exasperated Mum trying to control her overly exuberant children and she then went on to give a sultry performance in the Arabian.

The evening saw Arancha Baselga as Clara with Yasuo Atsuji as the Nutcracker Prince and a sublime Yvette Knight as Sugar Plum.  Rory Mackay was truly wonderful as Drosselmeyer.

All in all, 2 terrific performances of a great Nutcracker.

• Like 1

I was at the 7.30pm performance on Friday 13th December, and it was special! Momoko Hirata was flawless as Sugar Plum, so precise and strong, yet with a beautiful, lyrical quality to her upper body. She made it look totally effortless! Tzu-Chao Chou was a charismatic Prince and looked as though he was having the time of his life. Their grand pas-de-deux was totally deserving the audible gasps and rapturous applause received!

I saw Laura Day as Clara, and she was just beautiful. In some ways very similar to Hirata, with a wonderful lyrical quality to her movement. Her acting was also exceptional, reflecting Clara's joy and innocence. 

My only gripe was Samara Downs as the Rose Fairy - she seemed a bit stiff and wooden. I have seen her previously as Carabosse and Empress Empine and much preferred her in those parts. 

Overall I just really love this production! The Clara and Prince pas de peux towards the end of Act 1 is so magical, and I am always completely swept by the Snow Fairy variation. Will be returning next year!!

• Like 1

I'll just have to make the trip up to Birmingham next year then to see this Nutcracker.

Ive just seen the ENB version. The dancing itself was wonderful but I realised after not seeing it for two(maybe three years?) just how much I dislike their production and have decided not to see it again but that's for the other thread!

You will find it well worth the trip. I remember Edward Thorpe when dance critic of the London Standard saying it was the best production in the world. I have to agree with him.

God Bless Sir Peter. We are so lucky to have four of his greatest productions, only Giselle is missing.

• Like 1

The Nutcracker run always seems very early to me, starting in November and finishing mid December. This is to make way for the Panto run at the Hippodrome. I really would love to be able to go and see Nutcracker over Christmas though. I find the Christmas to New Year period somewhat tedious as the only thing on anywhere is Panto whereas with having time off, it would be the perfect time to go to the ballet or even go to ordinary theatre. But it's panto panto everywhere, except London which I can't get to easily.

Our local theatre does things a little differently - panto is in January. I'm going to see Nutcracker this weekend - Vienna Festival Ballet though. I know it will not be in the same league as BRB's which I have seen and loved a few times (and DD did a workshop and got to see behind the scenes) but financially and timing it makes sense for us this year. Dirty Dancing is also perhaps achievable for us over the Christmas period - unless tickets are all sold out. Preferable for me than panto.

It's a few years since I saw the BRB Nutcracker, but in its early years I would go at least twice a season. In those days there were a occasional guests in the Prince/ Sugar Plum fairy roles. I recall going on the night the performance was filmed for tv and in the battle scene the soldier's gun failed to "fire" so had to be dubbed on the TV transmission. The magic of the production didn't come across too well on film - very dark in the first act , but on stage it is a gem. I agree that the transformation of the Christmas tree which cleverly grows new, convincing branches rather than just extending towards the ceiling, and the rotating fireplace when the mouse king pompously strides forward with his standard, is a theatrical triumph. There is so much to praise about this production - from the choreography for the dance of the snowflakes, to the beautiful red dress worn by Clara's mother. Yes, I have to agree it is the best version of Nutcracker I can recall. It deserves a live cinema feed.

• Like 3

Yes I loved it when I saw it 3 years ago- the tree is the best in any Nutcracker, and I remember being impressed by the smoothness of all the transitions between scenes-which is partly why such a magical effect was created

Also, The Hippodrome is a beautiful theatre.

• Like 1

Yes, I have to agree it is the best version of Nutcracker I can recall. It deserves a live cinema feed.

Yes, why should we keep having to have different casts in the RB's version the whole time? I'm losing track: is it 1 Ansanelli, 3 Yoshidas, 1 Marquez thus far? 

• Like 1

Agree with all the other comments on here.  This is the best Nutcracker, by far. 

Incidentally, I was taking part in a quiz the other day, and our team lost by one point.  The question was about the Nutcracker, and asked which character did the Nutcracker have to do battle with in the ballet of that name.  I confidently answered the King Rat and his followers, only to be told it was the King Mouse.

Mouse? And since when have mice been ferocious fighters!

Royal Ballet Mouse King. Birmingham Royal Ballet Rat King!!!

What more proof do you need that the BRB Nutcracker is bigger and better!  :)

Not quite sure why the RB felt the need to downsize.  It was always the Rat King in my day. 

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 1