The new ROH website

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like Part I of the upgrade. No doubt more pain and inconvenience is to come.

For the next few hours, as part of the build of our new website, we are installing some upgrades. We would like to apologize for any frustration this may cause. We plan to resume service after 11pm this evening.

Although you cannot check information or book tickets online during this time, you can still book tickets until 8pm this evening by visiting the Box Office in person or ringing +44 (0)20 7304 4000. Between 8pm and 11pm it will not be possible to make a booking.

When service returns you will notice some changes to the website. We look forward to introducing further changes in due course.

It's fine here (maybe because I'm closer!)

It pains me to say it but it does look as if they've improved things in terms of navigating the site and finding what you want, though there are still bits missing and some wonky links. The booking module seems to be working and is clearer, including choosing your seat, though I haven't found anything I want to book - it takes three clicks to get from the home page to ticket selection which isn't bad. Less glitzy than before, much lighter in colour, even a little old-fashioned.

Although I want it usable, and all that stuff, the big area and where they have consistently screwed up since 2005 (when they started flogging tickets on the net) is when booking periods open. I'll hold off any judgement until its been through Friends and Public booking I think.

• Like 1

Many apologies for the loss of the recent postings. We had two topics on the subject of the new website so I thought best to merge them. In the process the content of the more recent topic seems to have been lost. I am at a loss to explain this as I've tested out merging topics in the Test forum and it seems to work fine.

The last query was from Alison who couldn't get the ROH website on their old address, http://www.roh.org.uk/. Just to confirm this has not changed.

Well, I've had a quick skim through on today's availability for Fille, and two things strike me immediately:

- I can't see how you can move up to the very back of the amphitheatre: there doesn't seem to be any sort of up/down arrow that I can see;

- they need to do something about the seat price colour coding. If you look at Stalls Circle or Amphitheatre, you see, for example, that the cheap prices are 3 not very dissimilar shades of green. With the key on the left, if you're looking at seats on the right-hand side it's very difficult to confirm precisely which shade they are. Ditto with the blues at the top of the amphi price range. I miss having the seat price show up the minute you hover over the seat.

Well, I've had a quick skim through on today's availability for Fille, and two things strike me immediately:

- I can't see how you can move up to the very back of the amphitheatre: there doesn't seem to be any sort of up/down arrow that I can see;

I had the same problem. I then realised that, if you put the cursor on a white bit of the screen, you can drag the plan of the amphi down so as to get at the back. It's very fiddly though as, if you're not careful, it starts zooming in or out and everything becomes distorted.

Not working at all currently

"ERROR

The requested URL could not be retrieved"

I understand it depends which ISP you're using - see Bangorballetboy's posting above.

Edited to add following quote from ROH twitter feed "Maybe an issue that's affected by the roll out over different ISPs. Just waiting for the internet to 'catch up' as it were ^C"

My ISP has been able to access the site all day. However, although my husband can sign in without problem, I haven't been able to do so. They say this is happening to a number of people and they're investigating.

Edited by Bluebird

I've just checked out the new site and had no problems logging in. The home page looks a lot less cluttered, and I like the way the number of seats available is shown next to each date when you start booking, no more clicking on buy now to find that the performance is sold out. I'm also very pleased by the photo view. BUT I still haven't figured out how to find casting info for the mixed bill which should be easily accessible.

At first glance it seems that the pages for individual dancers - also a quick and useful source of casting info - have disappeared :(

Back now. Somewhat bemused by the way casting info is displayed though - doesn't seem to come up for mixed bills in any sensible way.

I got in without any trouble but like Lynette I am totally bemused by the casting information, or lack of it in some cases. It does look like a work in progress at the moment for instance there is full casting info for Prince of the Pagodas but none for the Ballo/Sylphide mixed bill

Haven't managed to get info in one place when more than one thing on at same time in different parts of House, eg 19th June with Boheme on main stage and Ballet in Rehearsal in Linbury .Click on calender and it only gives main stage performance. I also wanted to check on the Falstaff Insight on 1st May (I still have a spare ticket for that), it didn't show up at all.

I like the way the number of seats available is shown next to each date when you start booking, no more clicking on buy now to find that the performance is sold out. I'm also very pleased by the photo view. BUT I still haven't figured out how to find casting info for the mixed bill which should be easily accessible.

At first glance it seems that the pages for individual dancers - also a quick and useful source of casting info - have disappeared sad.png

Agree about the number of seats remaining: it was really annoying to click on every performance and get a "sorry, no tickets available" message. Photo view I will assess when I get onto a performance that's less well-sold: you can still only (I think) access the views from those seats which are still available. I should have thought it would be a good idea to have a "dummy" page or something where you could check the view from every single seat even when they're sold out.

Has casting been reduced for Fille? I thought we had Simone and Alain along with the main couple, but all we have visible now is Lise and Colas. Hope the casting is somewhere else (and all on one page).

I too noticed the lack of dancer information: only the principals are even listed. I'm hoping that will follow along shortly.

I also noticed that while we still have a link to the "Cinema" page, the "TV & Radio" one has gone. Have there really been no Radio 3 opera broadcasts this year, and if so, does anyone know why?

I've finally managed to get into it, thought I'd try an early morning attempt and it worked, takes a lot of getting used to, only after reading Bluebird's post was I able to see the top amphi seats, still I'm happier than I was last night!

I have found a page from which you should be able to get to the stage view for all the seats in all the venues. However, when I try to click through to one (and it is a lot of clicking) the picture isn't showing.

http://www.roh.org.uk/venues

First pick your venue, and then pick "view section" which is above the list of performances, then pick your section, and then pick a seat number.