Leotard sizing questions

taxi4ballet

Does anyone else have this trouble?

My dd is currently wearing leotards in sizes 3a, 3, 4, petite, small adult, & medium adult, depending on the style and/or brand.

Our local dancewear shop only stocks a limited range, and we don't go to London all that often, so we often have to buy stuff online, and it usually doesn't fit, even when following size charts to the letter.

Any dancewear manufacturers out there? Get your act together, please!

• Like 3

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes! My teenage dd is exactly the same. Managed to work out that she's a 3 in Sansha, Petite/XS in Wearmoi.com, S in Capezio and Dans-ez and M in So Danca. Oh, and age 14 in Bloch.

That's just in leotards! Skirts are usually way too big if they're not wraparound so she has to size down in those.

Nightmare! Still, no different to women's sizes in shops; they're all different too. :-/

Capezio do, thank goodness. I still have to shorten some or unpick them and cross them at the back, but not often. Think the only ones I've had to shorten were a black So Danca one and an Intermezzo one.

• Like 1

I had to shorten the straps on the RAD regulation leotard for the Intermediate exam - and I wasn't the only mom doing it either. Unfortunately dd's school leotard is not Capezio. I also seem to spend a lot of time cutting threads from the bottom of the leotards - I blame dd for constantly pulling her leotard down!

I bought dd's So Danca leo in Dancia Drury Lane - they have a fab range of plain leotards there and we settled on the So Danca one after trying on about 20 different ones! They do seem to come up small (it's the only brand that she's a medium in) but it's lovely quality and looked really nice for her Inter Foundation exam. :-)

Must admit I thought it was compulsory to have the regulation leotard when dd took her exam in 2010 - will check the instructions more rigorously next time!

Fortunately not! I started a thread on this subject on the old forum last year as I was panicking, I'd tried a couple of the regulation designs on my DD in different sizes and couldn't get a decent fit. They looked and felt awful. I think if she had been forced to wear one I would have had difficulty getting her into the exam room. Lots of people responded reassuring me that any plain black camisole leotard was ok, and reporting similar problems with the regulation leotards so I was very relieved!

• Like 1

It is most definitely NOT mandatory to wear the regulation Freed leotards for RAD exams, even those Vocational exams at HQ (thank goodness!)

The new Freed Alice C were massive and baggy on my dd and the other cut (Freed Jane?) with the waist elasticy straps felt way too low cut under the arms and around to the back. DD just felt so uncomfortable in it. Hence trying on about 20 different plain black camisole leotards! :-)

Edited to add that the latest exam specification merely states "sleeveless leotard - black or royal blue".

• 10 months later...

Well, sorry to resurrect a very old thread but I have solved the Freed Vocational leotard sizing! DD needs the Royal Blue new Vocational leo for Intermediate and the RAD shade of "Royal" is slightly different to every other manufacturer (!)

So as we were at Freed yesterday for pointe shoes we had a chat with them about the Freed Vocational leos. They said that the "Bethany" - comes up fairly true to size but that the "Alice C" camisole comes up HUGE, particularly on the chest.

Dd tried one of each on and the "Bethany" had slightly less stretch than the graded tank leos, so she was in between a 2a and a 3. The best fit for her was a size 2 in the camisole Alice C leo! Even her old Grade 5 Freed leo from 2 years ago was a 2a!!

So if the vocational cami leotards are coming up big and/or baggy on the chest, I would suggest going down one or even two sizes. The fitter said that she wished Freed would re-label the Alice C leos to reflect the size difference, but that probably won't happen.

Hope that helps someone. :-)

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Well here goes!

I can prepare a comparison with leotard sizes on Monday, but roughly...10a,12a and 14a children's sizes relate to those ages, based on a petite dancer's frame. These are unlined at the front, but can be made to order, lined.

T0 = similar to 14a but lined and about an inch longer.

T1 = approx UK 6

T2 = UK 8

T3 = UK 10

T4 = 10-12

T5 = 12-14

What may be an idea is if I measure all the sizes? It's so very hard to buy online - but we're happy to exchange sizes until we get it right!

Sx

• Like 3

Sorry, my mirella one is larger than Bloch ones, they are size large though (10/12: no 'vanity sizing' for leotards!!)

Oh, that's interesting! Perhaps different styles are fitting differently? In this Mirella style dd is a Small as opposed to her usual Bloch Petite: http://www.blochshop.co.uk/product/mirella-rouleaux-lattice-back-cap-sleeve-leotard

Hi Spannerandpony. We also thought Mirella came up smaller as dd had to buy a small rather than petite in a front knot leotard. However, when we ordered a small Mirella plain camisole leotard for an audition it came up a bit baggy. I think some straps or detailing on the outside of the leos can cause them to fit smaller. Generally though, my dd is a petite in both. :)

• Like 1

I wish Degas would bring out a T6 size!! Ive seen a really nice looking long sleeved one....just that extra bit up would probably fit!

Leotard sizing is still a bit irritating on websites as some are in inches and some in centimetres and on several different sites its the opposite to what you would expect if you looked at me.....that my waist size is just too big for their largest size but my hips are a couple of inches/few centimetres under their largest size. But I definitely look more hippy!!!

It looks like Wearmoi offer the largest size they call it a size 16 but of course no idea whether this will come up bigger or (as I suspect) smaller than usual 16.

Has anyone got both a Wearmoi and another make to make any comparisons?