Wendy Whelan's RESTLESS CREATURE, Linbury Theatre, ROH

Even though so much of her triumphant glory has sadly not been witnessed on these shores, even here people will STILL talk of Whelan as some write of Pavlova, tell of Baryishnikov and even now (amongst a younger British set) prize Guillem.  She enhances space.  A totally unique creature STILL, Whelan breathes as Robbins noted: "as a muse for us all".  Currently in the ROH's Lindbury Theatre she inhabits an imaginative and sparely balanced programme in which she oft steps/falls back in celebration of her four chosen contemporary choreographer cavaliers:  Alejandro Cerrudo, Joshua Beamish, Kyle Abraham and Brian Brooks.  She invites us into their varied mind-space as much as her own vivid presence.  She spontaneously collaborates with us as much as with them.  All eyes dance in tandem with her soul.  We breathe together.  It is a thrilling privilege.  All are left restless for more.

This one I can sum up in one word:  GO!!! 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

Here are some of Dave Morgan's pictures from the shoot...

dm-waltz-epoca-wendy-whelan-odd-pair_850

Wendy Whelan in Joshua Beamish's Waltz Epoca

© Dave Morgan. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

14721672905_59409d7a3e_c.jpg

Wendy Whelan and Kyle Abraham in Abraham's The Serpent and the Smoke

14535027499_7e17aaefb0_c.jpg

Wendy Whelan and Joshua Beamish in Beamish's Waltz Epoca

See more...

Dave Morgan -Wendy Whelan in Restless Creature

Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

Jann Parry has also reviewed Restless Creature. It starts:

"It would be invidious to compare Wendy Whelan’s brave attempt to reinvent herself as a contemporary dancer with Sylvie Guillem’s far more mature achievement."

http://dancetabs.com/2014/07/wendy-whelan-restless-creature-bill-london/

I look forward to seeing the show tonight!

Do forgive the first image being larger than normal - it's actualy a crop I did for Facebook and thats the only size I have to hand.

And Ta for the kind words re Dancetabs BruceW

Edited by Bruce

My goodness Clement Crisp is particularly dismissive:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/64e0dd1c-124b-11e4-93a5-00144feabdc0.html

For myself I'm glad I saw the show. We often say of great stars that they could just walk across the stage, or just stand there even, and we'd all applaud. We see far too little of her (and NYCB in general) and to see Whelan move, in anything, is a very glorious thing indeed. But I don't think it was a great idea to have the choreographers dancing as well and Beamish seemed to run away with making steps on himself. Agree with Jann Parry the last piece, by Brian Brooks, looked the most interesting. None of the others seemed keepers as such - she has yet to find her Russell Maliphant, Mats Ek or William Forsythe. But still good to see her and look forward to her return next year. Ultimatly its good to see Whelan trying different things.

• Like 2