Important dates in ballet

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes - in fact she danced on the first night of the Kirov's first-ever London season, in 1961 - in The Stone Flower, with Yuri Soloviev.

(I was there - she was lovely and I only wish I could remember her more clearly.)

Edited by Jane S
  • Like 3

For the last two days with the friends who remember Alla Sizova we were exchanging our memories of her and were watching clips with her dancing. One of her recordings,which was produced commercially, was very popular for decades - “The Sleeping Beauty” at Kirov with her as Aurora, Yuri Soloviev as Desire and Natalya Dudinskaya as Carabosse.

One of my friends who was doing research about Mariinsky’s dancers wrote to me today:

“That is so sad - what an angel indeed. I spent 4 hours with her in her home in Washington in 1996. She was delightful and we spoke on the phone several times. A wonderful woman.

She lived in a wonderful gated community and I had to obtain access. I walked along the driveway and she said she would wait at the corner. As I turned the first corner in the light breeze on a beautiful sunny autumn day she stood in a profile ballet like position in this pretty light dress which caught the wind. She just looked like Parasha from the “Bronze Horseman” ballet. This tiny fleeting moment is engrained in my mind's eye to this day and is a treasured memory.

I found her a truly spiritual person. And not one ounce of ego...and through her quiet nature made a profound effect on me.

Rest in peace, Alla.”

Edited by Amelia
  • Like 2

65 years ago the ourstanding ballet dancer Alexander Godunov was born. This Bolshoi’s Principal, 6ft 1in tall, he with his athletic physique had a startling look of a young Viking warrior. His defection in NY in 1979 created a huge diplomatic incident. Godunov danced at ABT, appeared in Hollywood films and, sadly, died in rather mysterious circumstances at the age of 45.

There are 5 videos here of him dancing. Click “Play all” and enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9327B0E18C3E12B8

Edited by Amelia
  • Like 3

He was supposed to have died from the effects of alcoholism, wasn't he? Were there suggestions that something more sinister had happened?

In the meantime, August Bournonville died in Copenhagen on 30 November 1879, aged 74.

Edited by Melody

Here's the clip - unlike a lot of older clips, this one doesn't look dated; she could be out there doing that solo today and it wouldn't look out of place.

Edited by Melody
  • Like 3

And Dame Alicia died on 2 December 2004, a day after her 94th birthday.

Couple of other British anniversaries: Harold Turner was born in Manchester on 2 December 1909, and Peter Darrell died in Glasgow on 2 December 1987, aged 58.

• 2 weeks later...

Been out of town so I'm a bit behind with this.

Couple of Kenneth MacMillan anniversaries:

His version of The Prince of the Pagodas premiered at the Royal Opera House, London, on 7 December 1989.

He was born in Dunfermline on 11 December 1929.

Also, of historical interest, Christian Johansson, Imperial ballet dancer, choreographer, and teacher, died in St Petersburg on 12 December 1903.

• Like 1

The Nutcracker premiered at the Mariinsky Theatre on 18 December 1892, with choreography by Lev Ivanov and with Antonietta Dell'Era as the Sugar Plum Fairy, Pavel Gerdt as the prince, and Sergei Legat as the Nutcracker.

• 2 weeks later...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yury_Grigorovich

Yuri Grigorovich celebrates his 88th bithday today!

His first great ballet was The Stone Flower. Here it is with Yuri Soloviev and Alla Sizova:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya_rkm7iVJQ

And later with incredible Galina Mezentzeva and Yevgeny Scherbakov:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbG0vLin4Cg

Edited for typo.

Edited by Amelia
  • Like 2

Been ignoring this on account of the holidays (thanks for the input, Amelia!).

Olga Preobrajenska died in Paris on 27 December 1962, aged 91.

Leon Bakst, costume and set designer for Diaghilev's Ballets Russes, died in Paris on 28 December 1924, aged 68.

Nikolai Legat was born in Moscow on 30 December 1869.

Maurice Béjart, founder of Béjart Ballet Lausanne, was born (as Maurice-Jean Berger) in Marseilles on 1 January 1927.

Edited by Melody
  • Like 1

Just wanted to say that in the article about the Nutcracker criticism it is noted that the ballet only became popular with NYC ballet's version in 1954.  That may have been true for the US, but London's Festival Ballet first performed it in 1951 and performed it every Christmas in the Festival Hall for about 25 years. As ENB they still perform it regularly today, but just not every Christmas!  Wish I could find out the actual date of the premiere - anybody????

Edited by Dance*is*life

The Wikipedia article on The Nutcracker doesn't even mention the Festival Ballet production in its list. That's pretty shameful. There must be an archivist or someone of the sort at ENB who'd be able to look it up.

In the meantime, I'm looking for some help with the year of birth of Caterina Beretta, Pierina Legnani's Italian teacher. The Oxford Dictionary of Dance has it in December 1839, but I'm reading a short bio online, translated by Google from the Italian, which suggests that she had a contract to dance in Paris from 1855 for three years, and if she was born in 1839 she must have been too young to sign contracts in 1855 (unless, I suppose, a parent signed it for her). That article says she was born in 1828, which makes more sense in some ways. I was just wondering if anyone has access to anything more definitive.

Today, on the 105th anniversary of Galina Ulanova's birth, Vladimir Vasiliev organised a memorial event (with filming) at her flat in Moscow, which is a museum now.

Here is an extract from a Russian programme introduced by Gennady Yanin.

It shows a short scene from Act 1 of 'Giselle' filmed in late 1950s with Ulanova and Nikolai Fadeyechev: 

Edited by Amelia
  • Like 3

You wouldn't think you were looking at someone well into her 40s, would you? She and Margot Fonteyn seemed to share the quality of being able to drop 30 years from their age when they were dancing toward the end of their careers.

• Like 2

Today, on the 105th anniversary of Galina Ulanova's birth, Vladimir Vasiliev organised a memorial event (with filming) at her flat in Moscow, which is a museum now.

Vladimir Vasiliev organised a gathering of some people who were close to Ulanova in her flat, among them Nikolai Fadeyechev, Svetlana Adyrkhaeva, Nikolai Tsiskaridze and others.  They were talking about Galina Sergeyevna and recalled some memorable moments. Fadeyechev remembered Ulanova's triumph in London in 1956 when he danced "Giselle" with her (clips of curtain calls).

They were also looking at some items from the extensive collection, which was compiled by Rosina Viniarsky from Britain in the course of several decades: photos, cuttings, posters, her own drawings, etc. Viniarski's house has been burnt by fire but, amazingly, she managed to save her collection and presented it as a gift to the Bakhrushin Theatre Museum in Moscow.
Edited to reduce the size of the script.
Edited by Amelia

• 2 weeks later...

Anniversaries for two great Russians:

George Balanchine was born (as Giorgi Balanchivadze) in St Petersburg, Russia, on 22 January 1904

Anna Pavlova died in The Hague on 23 January 1931, aged 49

Edited by Melody
  • Like 1

Frederick Ashton's two-act ballet La Fille Mal Gardée premiered on 28 January 1960.

Crown Prince Rudolf of Austria and his mistress Baroness Marie Vetsera committed suicide at the hunting lodge at Mayerling on 30 January 1889, the real-life event that was the basis for Sir Kenneth MacMillan's ballet Mayerling.

• Like 1

Well, I suppose  - February second - two two - tutu - if it had to be any day, it pretty much has to be today.

It seems to have originated with the Australian Ballet School but I'm not sure if it's really a worldwide event or an Australian event hoping to draw worldwide attention for its fundraising.

http://www.worldtutuday.com/

• Like 1