Claudia Dean leaving the Royal Ballet

Here is Claudia's message to us all [reproduced here with her permission].

When you grow up you're taught to chase your dreams... I was lucky enough to reach them.  Sometimes though, when you get there, they don't live up to your expectations.  I've asked myself: Does hard work always pay off the way you want it to?  Life is too short to not be 100% happy.  They say you can't judge someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes and I know there will be people who will not understand, nor agree with this but if I can just ask for everybody to please respect my decision.  I have decided to resign from the Royal Ballet Company at the end of the season.  I am moving back to Australia, to live a normal life, to have a normal job, but most importantly, to be surrounded by the people whom I've missed greatly and who have supported me for the last 21 years; my family. I'm someone who knows what I want and will always be true to myself.  It's truly incredible where life can take you.  Thankyou to everyone who has been a part of my journey over the last 5 years here in London - it's been amazing!  But I am beyond excited to start this new chapter in my life and... Cheers to new beginnings!!! : )))

• Like 13

Have been following her for a while now and of course sad to lose her but she must do what's right for herself.

One thing I would like to say though .....as a a bit of an old person to be sure.....that it is unlikely one finds total 100 per cent happiness all the time in Life!!

She may not have meant it like this but you certainly have to try to be at least as happy as possible in your work as you are doing it for such a large part of your time. .......and getting a good work/family time life balance is important if you can achieve this in the way you want it.

Wishing Claudia every happiness and if she does continue dancing my friends in Oz will be pleased at any rate!!!

• Like 1

It takes a lot of gumption to change careers at any age, but I have no doubt that someone with so much dedication and self-knowledge will forge other exciting paths for the future.

All the best of luck, and thanks for the the lovely memories. I really enjoyed her fierce Myrtha earlier this year :)

• Like 1

How true are Claudia's words : they don't live up to your expectations.....

We as a family in the last few months have had that experience and sometimes things aren't always what they seem to be.....

Also sometimes you have to put things in to perspective - ones happiness is more important...

Why wouldn't she want to return to Australia - NO PLACE LIKE HOME....

Enjoy your new adventure.....

Sorry to read this. I have never seen her dance but I do follow her on Twitter. Love looking at the photos she always posts of herself backstage with her friends. I wish her all the very best of luck for her future. 

Such a shame to lose a talented dancer for any reason. She is only 21 but has probably danced more solos in her 3 years than most do in 10, so has achieved a lot compared to others of a similar age. Wishing her the best of luck in whatever she does next! If she finds that she misses ballet in a couple of years then there is always Queensland Ballet, based in Brisbane where she lives.

• Like 8

Gosh, such a shame for London ballet fans, but I wish her the very best of everything. I was looking forward to following her career, especially after being so impressed with her Myrthe.

• Like 2

I just read that Paul Russel, also from Australia (won the gold medal at the Genee in 2009 with Claudia Dean and also went on to RBS) -  made the decision that life as a full-time ballet performer wasn't for him and is now closer to his family, doing and planning interesting combinations of dance and other activities:.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/2318704/beyond-ballet-dancers-leap-of-faith/?cs=298

Wishing them both well,

Yaffa

• Like 4

After many years of training through childhood and teenage years those young adults "wake up" and I think a lot of young people don't realise/cannot imagine what it takes to be a professional dancer. The ones who get through many years of training and join a company only realise at this point what it will take to continue life as a professional dancer.

It takes courage, after many years of elite training, to face the reality of life as a professional dancer, and to walk away.  

It takes courage and tremendous determination of those who'll continue, and of those who want to make it out of the Corps de Ballet to Soloist, or Principal.

I admire both cases, in a different way. 

• Like 12

I remember reading somewhere that you had to fight your way into the Corps De Ballet,and then had to fight your way to get out of it. I know she is a soloist,which is so incredible,but who knows what individuals must go through and sacrifice in order to fulfil their dreams?

I remember reading somewhere that you had to fight your way into the Corps De Ballet,and then had to fight your way to get out of it. I know she is a soloist,which is so incredible,but who knows what individuals must go through and sacrifice in order to fulfil their dreams?

Miss Claudia Dean is not a Soloist.   She is an Artist (Junior rank Corps de Ballet) and joined the company 3 years ago.

• 1 year later...