Another dark photocall at the Sadlers Wells Theatre with Lucinda Childs's Four Elements. Interesting colourful costumes and back cloth. Here are a couple of pictures.

Rambert%2B-%2BFour%2BElements%2B-%2BMay%

Stephen Wright, Antonette Dayritt, Mbulelo Ndabeni, Hannah Rudd and Dane Hurst 

Rambert+-+Four+Elements+-+May+2014_286_f

Antonette Dayritt, Dane Hurst, Adam Blyde and Estela Merlos 

More pictures on www.johnrossballetgallery.co.uk

• Like 1

...and here are a couple of more photos from Lucinda Childs' piece, taken by Foteini Christofilopoulou:

14250691613_5e6a221ba2_z.jpg
Dane Hurst, Mbulelo Ndabeni
© Foteini Christofilopoulou. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

14227223751_342e3e28ab_z.jpg
Dane Hurst, Antonette Dayrit, Estela Merlos, Mbulelo Ndabeni, Hannah Rudd, Stephen Wright
© Foteini Christofilopoulou. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

See more...
Set from DanceTabs: Rambert - Four Elements
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

• Like 1

I felt that this programme showcased the Rambert men. Rooster was so enjoyable: fun and with little stories and set to a cracking score. I didn't really 'get' the Childs piece; my favourite section was the second one danced by the men. I've seen the Alston and Cunningham pieces before; the former is witty but inconsequential and the latter is a bit too radical for me, danced to that strange buzzing score - Turnage, Cage and co are Mozart by comparison. In addition to the obvious 'stars', I was really impressed with a couple of the dancers whom I had not seen / noticed before, one of whom was I think Mark Kimmett. Is it coincidence that three of the dancers have come from Scottish Ballet?

Edited by aileen
  • Like 1

Was the piece to the strange buzzing score "Sound Dance"?

I saw a similar prog in Brighton recently but not with the Child's piece.

I found the score to Sound Dance very irritating verging on torture after about ten mins and this was for me severe enough to start interfering with enjoying the dancing itself which was really good!

I loved Rooster too a great piece which I wanted to see immediately all over again!

• Like 1

I found Sound Dance equally irritating - if I managed to switch my ears off for a few seconds the actual choreography was quite good, but the audio sensation overwhelmed everything else for me.  I have tinnitus, which doesn't react well to that sort of noise, compounded by a tendency I've noticed before at Sadlers Wells to have the volume too loud for comfort.

The first piece was good but maybe a bit bland - I wouldn't rush to see it again.  I liked Dutiful Ducks quite a lot, and really enjoyed Rooster, the evening's crowd pleaser.