Definitely will do. :)

Will be nearly all dressed in blue tomorrow (what's new) and as my hair needs the colour doing......to hide the grey of course.....it's very blonde at the moment as the sun bleaches it easily in summer.

I'm a sort of light brown for five to six weeks and then blonde for another four to five till I can afford to get it done again.

This year I'll probably be completely grey by September because of all the expensive ballet going on in August!!

• Like 1

Damn and botheration! Will miss them because Ive agreed to help with a friends show!

Please folks report back! I love this company!

For the avoidance of doubt hftbrew the bit of your post that I liked were the last 4 words. I love the company too and I enjoy reading nice things that folk from other parts of the country write about them.  Of course, I do not "like" your missing them in London and hope you get a chance to see them in Leeds between the 18 and 21 June. To quote the Michelin Guide Rouge they are "vaut le voyage".

I saw the three works that are to be performed at the Linbury last year and I can't recommend them highly enough. I hope that LinMM, JanetMcNulty and anyone else who gets to see the show at the Linbury has a nice time and I am sure that they will.

I am looking forward to seeing the mixed bill in Leeds.   I wish I could see them in London too but there are so many good things taking place here this weekend: Chantry Dance at the Lincoln Drill Hall tomorrow and the Holmfirth folk festival over the weekend.   I don't know whether Northern Ballet dancers follow this forum but in case they do chookas and/or toi-toi.

For the avoidance of doubt hftbrew the bit of your post that I liked were the last 4 words. I love the company too and I enjoy reading nice things that folk from other parts of the country write about them.  Of course, I do not "like" your missing them in London and hope you get a chance to see them in Leeds between the 18 and 21 June. To quote the Michelin Guide Rouge they are "vaut le voyage".

I saw the three works that are to be performed at the Linbury last year and I can't recommend them highly enough. I hope that LinMM, JanetMcNulty and anyone else who gets to see the show at the Linbury has a nice time and I am sure that they will.

I am looking forward to seeing the mixed bill in Leeds.   I wish I could see them in London too but there are so many good things taking place here this weekend: Chantry Dance at the Lincoln Drill Hall tomorrow and the Holmfirth folk festival over the weekend.   I don't know whether Northern Ballet dancers follow this forum but in case they do chookas and/or toi-toi.

I envy you your weekend and the fact you can get to Leeds! Alas the lot of us dance teachers is that we usually cant get to dance performances especially those far away. I dont even get Sundays off! ( good job I love you all students isnt it?! )
  • Like 2

There was a warm-hearted speech at the beginning from David Nixon about Gailene Stock.  A lovely gesture, but it would have been better if they had organised a microphone for him so more people could hear.

Funny, Lynette, I was standing at the very back of the last LInbury circle - and once Mr. Nixon had responded to an early request to 'speak up' - I, myself, had no audible problem in his regard.  I would simply like to say how refreshing it was to hear someone make such a sincere dedication in a fashion that was both relaxed and articulate.  I, for one, - and I may well be alone but I suspect not from the hearty applause that followed - appreciated the clarity of both Mr. Nixon's mind and dynamic.  For me, a microphone would have robbed us of much of the immediacy of such.  His - like much of the engaging programme that was to follow by his dedicated Company - was a fine and fitting tribute in deed to a woman who was herself, in every respect, brave.  

Edited by Meunier
  • Like 3

I'm going to see this as an anniversary treat (not that I need much excuse, but it does mean hubby comes too on this occasion!)  tomorrow afternoon.  I'd love to hear thoughts on it from those who've been already.

Here at last some pictures from the exuberant Northern Ballet's Mixed Programme at from the Linbury.  We were lucky to have a full run through and many thanks for that. Other companies please note.

Northern%2BBallet%2B-%2BMixed%2BProgramm
Artists of the Northern Ballet in Lar Lubovitch's Concerto 622 

Northern+Ballet+-+Mixed+Programme_160_co
Artists of the Northern Ballet in Hans van Manen's Concertante 

Northern+Ballet+-+Mixed+Programme_259_lu
Artists of the Northern Ballet in Kenneth Tindall's Luminous Junc-ture 

• Like 3

... and some photos from me, as i wa at the rehearsal too. Thought it was a tremendous triple bill too; the first piece was fun and light-hearted (with a more inyense central section, and suited the Mozart very well). The middle piece was hot - think the stage hands must still be putting out the scorch marks left by Hannah Bateman especially (no wonder they have to cahne the flooring for the last piece!). And the last piece was sensational - given myself goosebumps just thinking about it.

Anyhoo - some photos:

14125792676_b4e7de1864_z.jpg
Concerto Six Twenty-Two: Antoinette Brooks-Daw, Rachael Gillespie jetes
© Dave Morgan. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

13962273827_92d6b035f2_z.jpg
Concertante: Tobias Bateley, Hannah Bateman

13962304478_85ef3227cc_z.jpg
NB - Luminous Junc-ture: NB dancers

See more...
Set from DanceTabs: Northern Ballet (Linbury mixed bill)
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

• Like 5

This was my first glimpse of Northern Ballet since the days of 'A Simple Man' and, contrary to the above, I would have liked to see them in one narrative work alongside the more contemporary pieces. But it was very good that they came to the Linbury.

Been a good ballet week for me - RB's The Winter's Tale was superb. And so was this triple bill from Northern Ballet. Concerto Six Twenty-two was a fun good-time romp, expressing the joyous music to perfection. Liked the costumes too - the women's flowing skirts had a coloured underskirt, which flashed as they twirled - most effective. As the music looped, so we went from the starting circle to duets, trios or solos, and then back to the circle. Most fun.

Concertante stepped up a gear, and was one of the most alluring ballets i've seen in a long time. Visually stunning, and striking choreography too. A definite wowser.

The best was saved til last though - as Luminous Junc-ture was riveting. The dramatic use of dark (as in pitch black) and startling bright light (when tricky from a photographer's point of view!) was breathtaking to watch. A real mix of styles, in music and choreography, meant you just couldn't take your eyes from the stage. The music went from noisy industrial clash to moving piano/cello music (not unlike the music Mcgregor used in Infra, which I loved). Whilst this made the piece a little episodic, it mattered not, as each part made you want to see more. The closing section, to an anti-fascist rant from a preacher (and boy, did I agree with him) and then a resonant musical piece fading into the dancers pointing a bright lamp into the audience as the piece dramatically and very movingly ended. Wonderful.

Please NB - come back soon, and with more like this!

• Like 3

Lovely to meet Janet and her friends yesterday at the Linbury ......both our first times in this theatre....and a very rewarding time it was too. Loved the venue and Northern Ballet ........However not long been back from London so will report on the dance tomorrow.

The speech at the end of LJ was a recording of Charlie Chaplin about dictatorship.

I too enjoyed Luminous Juncture the most. The other pieces were good too, though the ferocity of the heat in the theatre meant I barely kept my eyes open in Conertante very annoying! I do not like modern dance as regulars will know but this was "palatable" I think due to the mainly classical music used rather than the more twonky tunes employed elsewhere, the dancers had a great vitality about them and enjoyed what they were doing too. I particularly liked the male duet in Concerto 6-22 which was great. It was lovely to attend a Q&A after with Kenny Tindall who gave us insights into his piece which were good to know. All in all a good afternoon and I must see NBT more often!

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 2

I too saw this mixed bill. I enjoyed seeing the dancers close up and was particularly pleased to see TobIas Batley (real stage presence) and Martha Leebolt dancing together after reading about their partnership in Dance Europe (btw, both Janet and Naomi are featured in the same edition, as well as Daria and Vadim as another successful stage partnership). I liked all the pieces and thought that the whole company danced really well. It's nice to see something new and I believe that the company is coming back to the Linbury next year, when I hope that they will bring another interesting mixed bill.

Saw the Northern Ballet programme at the Saturday matinee and was even more engaged with it I think than at the programme's opening.  The Lar Lubovitch balletic smile to Morzart is always particularly telling.  I vividly remember seeing it for a first time in NYC as part of an OUTRAGE gala (it then being the height of the American AIDS crisis).  The narrative of the central male pas brought back poignant memories of that searing occasion and Contadini and Koon served it with suitable respect.  I was especially taken (at both performances) by the outstanding soloist work by Matthew Topliss in the thrill that is that work's Rondo.  I also very much enjoyed seeing two different casts in the Concertante and appreciated afresh Tindall's new work seen this time from a MG standing position.  It is so exciting to see this Company dance a variety of major and new choreography.  It can but only add strength to their arm.  How I wish that this programme could fill theatres - of a similar size to the LIndbury - throughout the country - but I know that such a hunger has to be built and can never be simply borne.  I so enjoyed the clear (albeit non linear) narrative of the three pieces.  How wonderful it would be if they could develop their story ballets in two acts with an established one act ballet as a curtain raiser - such as used to be the case, say, with performances for La Sylphide of Giselle.  That could I think be a very effective educational tool; a dedicated public service.  I would love to see them tackle, say, works such as Balanchine's Allegro Brillante or Square Dance (perhaps with the caller).  This fine triple bill showed that they more than deserve to tackle such - and should clearly have ACE support in that undertaking.   

• Like 1

I meant to put this up earlier...

Northern doing a piece of Hans van Manen was a huge deal and something very different for those dancers who were involved. Last year we ran a short interview with Hannah Bateman about what it was like to lean Concertante and be coached by the great man:
http://dancetabs.com/2013/06/hannah-bateman-northern-ballet-leading-soloist/

• Like 1

I saw this programme on Friday night.

The last time I saw this company dance was when they were a fledgling company called Northern Dance Theatre and I took my school dancing club girls over to the Wirral to Sunlight Hall to see them dance. Needless to say the girls were thrilled then and danced all the way across the rec to catch the train back to Liverpool!! And now here the Company are at the ROH!! I don't know the present Company's body of works or any of the dancers but I will certainly be hoping to get to know them more from now on.

I was a bit wary initially of a programme of all abstract works but I need not have worried as each work had a completely different atmosphere and style. The only one I had seen before was Concertante and a very long time ago at that....so virtually all new to me.

The first piece Concerto six twenty two was a joyous piece to joyous music by Mozart and a perfect reflection of it. I particularly liked the adagio duet danced with great grace and power by Giuliano Contadini and Matthew Koon how did they do that sideways horizontal lift and make it look so easy!! The whole piece though was danced with great exuberance and I liked the simple costumes with the hint of different colours from the girls skirts!!

The second piece Concertante by Hans van Manen had strong dramatic tension throughout and there was some interesting choreography here and powerful performances in one section in particular from Hannah Bateman and Tobias Batley. Again simple costumes but this time.....those stripey all in ones that only dancers can get away I think!! They showed off the choreography to perfection though.

The last piece Luminous Junc . ture choreographed by one of the dancers I believe, Kenneth Tindall, was another dramatic piece but in a different way and with clever and effective use of lights. I liked the "soundtrack" I think I'll call it as it had a variety of pieces it seemed to accompany the dance including a rant about not following dictators and working together with each other instead of fighting etc which ironically sounded like it came from yet another dictator......I believe this was Charlie Chaplin?? Couldn't find anything in the programme to confirm this at any rate. Anyway not a piece to feel relaxed in....definitely a bit edgy and just as you were wondering how it might draw you in to its conclusion.... it did... in a very unnerving way....by turning the light on you.....the audience!

A really very enjoyable evening of dance and I definitely won't be leaving it 40 years before I see this talented and strong Company of dancers again!!

I would like to see them now in a more narrative work like The Great Gatsby or Midsummer Nights Dream but this programme is definitely worth catching if it goes anywhere else in the UK.

This was also my first time in the Linbury and I had a good seat in row F for twenty something pounds.......Brilliant. I didn't even need to wear my distant glasses the dancers were so close. I reckon most seats here would give an excellent view......perhaps not right down the front.....a bit low there but most other seats. So will try to see more things here.......if can get tickets that is!! As it happens will be there again in a couple of weeks to see the young Dutch Company so hope it will be as enjoyable an evening as this was.

• Like 3

I'm disappointed that there has only been one review of this programme.

I released a review on DanceTabs at 8AM this morning and I think on Saturday British Theatre Guide released a review.

I think I spotted several nationals at Friday's show - Times, Guardian, Indie, Observer and there might well be others. Weekend is a difficult time to release reviews and the bill is not immediately being shown anywhere else either.

Also worth adding that those following Twitter have seen some flatering remarks from critics and of course fans.

Edited by Bruce

One review that is unlikely to make the links page is Jeffery Taylor's in the Sunday Express - it's very hit and miss reading Jeffery on the net. However there was a tweet that included a picture of part of his latest review. Those who really liked Kenneth Tindall’s work will be particularly pleased...

http://twitter.com/jsp_119/status/465478808125337600

Edited by Bruce

Reviews culled ready for tomorrow's links posting:

Reviews – Northern Ballet, Concerto Six Twenty-two, Concertante, Luminous Junc.ture, London: 

Judith Mackrell, Guardian

Bruce Marriott, DanceTabs

As Bruce has suggested above, I have been unable to find Neil Norman's Sunday Express review on line.

• Like 1

As Bruce has suggested above, I have been unable to find Neil Norman's Sunday Express review on line.

It was in the Sunday Express which is usually Jeffery Taylor.  Neil Norman is normally Daily Express and sometimes The Stage I think.

And Ta for the link!