Arsenal and the ENB

tomuchtallent

Anjuli: This first began to appear on the net some days ago, and I chose not to put it in Links as I failed to find the dancers named anywhere, unlike all of the players, and I'm not sufficiently up to speed on identifications. One of the girls might be a Principal, Begoña Cao, but my impression is that ENB normally offers members of the corps for these promotional efforts. If someone can do the idents, I'd be delighted.

That is my point, Ian. The players apparently were identified in the ad - by the creators of the ad (if I am understanding it correctly) while the dancers were not.

I am not questioning you - but the creators of the ad.

• Like 1

Anjuli, I take your point about the anonymity of dancers compared to footballers, but I think the advertising agency are professionally correct to assume that the names of the Arsenal players are what will attract people to the product. It's good that ENB/the dancers receive some consequential publicity (and hopefully payment!) from this but in reality for the target audience for the product it wouldn't make much difference if they had used Sylvie Guillem and Polina Semionova or first year performing arts students in tutus.

• Like 2

Well I really enjoyed it, what good fun it was, however wouldnt it have been more gripping to have watched the male dancers doing a dance of with the football players. Obviously there couldnt be a comparison but then the dancers doing football wouldnt compare, but it would still be great fun to watch.

• Like 2

Just watched again as its brilliant, loved it where the footballer is really straining himself when he is lifting the ballet dancer. The real male ballet dancers appear to show no such strain but never seem to get the recognition for their strenght.

Edited to add the word real

Edited by primrose
  • Like 1

Anjuli, I take your point about the anonymity of dancers compared to footballers, but I think the advertising agency are professionally correct to assume that the names of the Arsenal players are what will attract people to the product. It's good that ENB/the dancers receive some consequential publicity (and hopefully payment!) from this but in reality for the target audience for the product it wouldn't make much difference if they had used Sylvie Guillem and Polina Semionova or first year performing arts students in tutus.

I can't see where naming the dancers would have harmed the ad. People who enjoy ballet buy cars too - and naming the dancers wouldn't stop someone who enjoys the sports team from buying the car. What the ad says now is the sports athletes are important - the dancers are not. Crediting the dancers would have taken but a moment as a flash screen.

• Like 2

This is brilliant! We are arsenal season ticket holders and my son is a professional ballet dancer so love the over-lap. Thought Scezney looked very promising. The great Martin Keown on piano. Fantastic.

Joking apart I often think there is a huge over-lap in the life of a ballet dancer/training and football. Talent alone often isn't enough in both and hard work really does pay off. Though most ballet dancers will never have the adulation of a footballer they often have similar temptaions and stresses due to a non 9-5 lifestyle.

Anyway thank you for posting the link.

• Like 1

I know the footballers so I'm afraid I didn't look.

What does it mean? Well i guess the advertisers are going for a beauty and brawn/ subtle and in your face/ type of thing. Arsenal footballer Thierry Henry has been used in the past by Citroen. The car has a play of beauty and strength maybe. I always find car adverts a puzzle! Maybe the car is a wonderous learning experience.lol Who knows. Must admit I loved watching the Arsenal boys try ballet. Oxlade Chamberlin just looked a little embarrased bless him, but he is young.

• Like 1

Julie 2 Milner,Well,i use to go to all the Arsenal matches when i lived in the UK also!Only lived 15 mins from the Arsenal!

Its funny in my house while watching this as my dh and my boys are mad about Arsenal and then my dd and me love ballet!But we did take the micky out of the Arsenal boys!

• 1 month later...