Stage Makeup tips

Jan McNulty

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Stage Makeup tips

My DS has come out in bad skin from using stage makeup recently but I think it was more what he's removing it with. Has anyone recommendations for hypoallergenic makeup remover/wipes? I had been meaning to ask and this thread reminded me. 

• Like 1

I like Micellar water (although I don't tend to have irritation issues with my skin).

Some years ago I was "volunteered" to be made up as an 18th century actress.  While I am sure that there was no lead involved, I could immediately feel my skin starting to ping as the greasepaint was applied.  I was going to ask to have it left on because we were actually on our way to see a performance of Dracula.  I was advised not to as normal face cleansers would not clean this makeup off properly.  I know it is more of a faff but that makeup artist recommended good old-fashioned cold cream to remove the makeup and it certainly did the trick!

BTW my niece did makeup at college and they were told not to use wipes on a regular basis on their skin as wipes tend to dry your skin out.

On the advice on my make-up artist friend - for the cost of a slice of cake this afternoon - she has just let me go through her rather large box of tricks and has given some advice.  So no real quick fixes as it depends on the type of product used and skin type but Cremine is the best all round - similar to cold cream as suggested by Jan McNulty - but does a better job with heavier stage make-up.  She also uses Micellar and recommended Simple and Neutrogena brands depending on budget and skin tolerance.  One of her favourites is a product made from coconut oil.  The one she has is only available in the US and she wasn't sure what recommend here but said there are lots out there in local pharmacies.  One of the things that she did say was the actual make-up is important and is the age of it (no sitting in the box from one annual dance show until the next) and good quality brushes that are kept clean are a good start.  Hope this helps?

• Like 1

My dd has very high maintenance skin and swears by the Simple range. Also slaps on plenty of Aveeno afterwards as it tends to calm things down.

• 3 weeks later...

Micclear is a clear winner.  Wet wipes are a complete no no. Just too drying. Even using the most sensitive of brands. 

What my DD finds is that the primer can be the cause of skin reaction. Even though a primer is really useful especially for an all day festival /Competition type events,  stage makeup for a one off performance can be done without. 

Use a quality foundation and save your pennies on the other makeup like the pressed powder and blusher. 

Really is trial and error. Good Luck

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...