Adult Ballet Workshops (news and attendance)

LinMM

This Saturday did a Masterclass with City Ballet with Rejane Garcia at the Royal Opera House!!

I must admit I did feel a bit embarrassed to go through the stage door entrance (I had originally thought was at the Royal Ballet school which was nerve making enough) but the studio was up on level 5 and had a fantastic view over Covent Garden and was large light and airy! Luckily it's also one without an outside corridor so you can't see in unless you come through the door!! So minimum risk of Carlos et al seeing any wobbly arabesques and other balletic misdemeanours!!

We started with an hour of Pilates style exercises so was fully warmed up by the barre which was fairly straightforward so you could work well.

After the centre work again nothing too complicated....pre intermediate level approx....and the firework display which we had a brilliant view of(was this anything to do with The Lord Mayors Show?)

We worked on a piece of group choreography to a well known piece of music......the name of which at this moment escapes me.....but I had it on the brain then for about an hour afterwards!

This was really enjoyable and fun and although we had to finish because the three plus hours was up (already?) could have happily stayed on working on this.

What a lovely afternoon!! Rejane has a relaxed, encouraging and really pleasant teaching style allowing everyone to work at their own level and it always seems to come together so well. Thoroughly satisfying!!

On the way out walked past another studio which did have a corridor outside and who should be in there practising (or rehearsing) but Steven McRae!! with a couple of others (I thought one girl was either Sarah Lamb or Melissa Hamilton) and then there was Ed Watson in the corridor!!.........enough to wish I was twenty something again!!

The City Academy has three more workshops coming up.....more details on their website....but some brief details are : Swan lake day on Sunday Dec.1st......in the same studio in Covent Garden. Then a second Swan Lake day......with different repertoire on Jan. 4th same place .

Then on Feb 1st there will be one on Giselle but this one is at the Sadlers Wells studio.......so a bit less costly. These are all full day workshops.

Rejane is also doing another Masterclass style class on Tuesday evening December 10th......but am not sure if this is a ballet or contemporary one......from 6.30 -9pm and this is at the Sadlers Wells studio too.

I would say the workshops are suitable for say grade 3 up to good intermediate standard......probably not that challenging for a really advanced student/adult and there is no pointe work.

But great for adults like myself who want to experience working together on choreography as well as ballet class.

• Like 7

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry the title of this thread should read "City Academy Ballet Workshops News and Attendances"

Also the January Swan Lake is at Sadlers wells Studio.........Great for me personally as if I do stay over in London this is only 15 mins walk away!!

It's sometimes quite hard to find the workshops.......best to look up under Dance tutors and then Rejane Garcia's name and then all the workshops she is giving will show.

This last one on Saturday had 20 people on it so ideal number as well.

Sorry the title of this thread should read "City Academy Ballet Workshops News and Attendances"

Also the January Swan Lake is at Sadlers wells Studio.........Great for me personally as if I do stay over in London this is only 15 mins walk away!!

It's sometimes quite hard to find the workshops.......best to look up under Dance tutors and then Rejane Garcia's name and then all the workshops she is giving will show.

This last one on Saturday had 20 people on it so ideal number as well.

I've amended the title for you Lin.  Sounds like an excellent workshop.

• Like 2

The dilemma now is does one book for the two and get the 2ORMORE 10% discount, or wait and see what promotions they introduce, as they often do. If I do the 4th of Jan with City, which I probably will, I will have to stay in London as I'm doing Nutcracker with ENB at the Coliseum on the 5th. Next weekend its Don Quixote at RAD HQ.

This is the music from the workshop on Saturday...... the well known Pachelbel's Canon in D (Johann Pachelbel)

I quite like this version and as these are the original instruments this is probably more how it originally sounded but there are lots of versions of this with full orchestra etc.

So you can imagine this beautiful music in that lovely studio with Rejanes choreography which enabled all the dancers to perform well and enjoy......what more could you ask from a workshop!! :)

• Like 1

I would certainly need one if its that early!!

What did you think of the workshop on Saturday in the end?

Forgot to say bumped into Michelle while surrepticiously trying to eat a sandwich on the comfy seating in the ROH booking area before the workshop started. We then went for tea/coffee up in the amphitheatre which luckily was open as I think there was a Friends rehearsal on that pm.

Good job I did or would have gone to the wrong place!

Michelle has done other classes at the ROH so is an old hand at going through the stage door!!

Yes I was tempted to put a posting on the forum about this stray I picked up hiding in the ROH booking area, then having to tear her away from the Royal Ballet School door as we walked down Floral Street, and almost did not believe me when I said we needed the ROH stage door.

The class was a really nice one, it was extremely enjoyable. I noticed the amount of dancers using first rather than fifth when Rejane announced it as an option. Still I think everyone enjoyed it, and in any case there was something I learned too, I'm not sure what you call the pose possible "Sleeping swan", that we did at the end of the two circle configuration of the main enchainement.

I've just booked and paid for the LAB Spring Intensive at RBS, I see we have some solo rolls, hope its the Fairy Variation and possibly Aurora's variation in Act 3 which we did with Franziska. However the number of places is limited to 50.

PS it does say Tutu's if appropriate.

Done two classes today so far, rehearsal tonight.

Ive sent the cheque off for the Spring Intensive so will have to wait and see now!

I also tried to book the ENB Nutcracker one and everything seemed to go through including payment etc but then suddenly this error message occurred saying "all events are full" so don't know whether am on it or not. Will have to ring tomorrow now.

But if it is full they should say so on their website events page etc so you don't waste your time gong through the process! Grr!!

I was just wondering moderators whether this thread should be about all ballet workshops and attendances etc. So that they are all under one heading or is it better to keep them separate? It's just that there are not that many if under separate headings I suppose.

EG : Adult Ballet Workshops News and Attendance

Well it looks like I will need that early morning call Michelle!!

Have just heard from the ENB that my application for the workshop did go through......I think I may have been the last one as now the "error" message comes up before you try to book.

Still haven't heard from LAB but then I paid by cheque so they will obviously have to wait till this clears first or processing previous attendees who have applied already first. Have you heard?

I love the fairy variations, I have already performed the Candide one (First Fairy) in public and in a tutu, but I didn't have any fairy wings. But at the RBS studios we must keep up the standard and do things right this time, don't you agree?

I will have you in a Tutu yet.

Hi - I wasn't sure where to post this, but this seems as good a place as any. I danced as a child and returned to ballet 6mths ago after a break of 20yrs. I am somewhat "rusty" to say the least and Im desperate to find intensive courses/workshops for Adults outside of London. I attended the City Academy masterclass last weekend and I loved it. I have small children so weekend classes are better for me, but there seems to be little on a weekend outside London. I am prepared to travel if its worth my while (i.e for a course/ or several classes on the same day) but I don't really want to be going to London frequently.

I wondered whether anyone would be interested in intensive residential weekends, focusing on ballet technique and choreography? These would include classes for adults only at nice venues, with accommodation and food included.

I have experience of running events and know of some lovely venues. I also know of some great ballet teachers with experience of teaching adults. Please can anyone let me know if you are interested in this?

I would like to do this for my own benefit of improving my ballet technique, but also as an opportunity to meet other adult ballet students and share in this journey.

I look forward to hearing your responses!

• Like 2

Hi BMT welcome to the forum

My Interest is in repertoire classes as I already do multiple ballet classes most days, from my local area to London, ENB being my main contributor.

However there are rep classes outside London if you are prepared to travel.

Recently I did Le Corsaire with ENB at Oxford.

Nutcracker Rep Workshop (RAD), South East Dance Studios, Hextable Kent, 8 December (Closing date 18 November) Link: http://www.rad.org.uk/article_pink.asp?id=119&realCat=138

Scottish ballet are doing various workshops on Hansel and Gretel, but its in 10days time, I only got notification yesterday. I’m up at Scottish ballet in December.

See Link:

http://www.dancebase.co.uk/classes/workshops?options%5Bsite_id%5D=33463

Occasionally Northern ballet in Leeds do workshops, I was there only last week.

It’s also worth keeping an eye on Birmingham Royal Ballet too, but most of these do get posted on the forum.

But most Rep classes do take place in London, I think because there is a strong regular core of dancers. I see a lot of the same faces at all the ones I go to, and I also help to promote them where I can, as it’s a shame when a workshop fails due to insufficient interest. Usually its badly promoted.

It sounds like a nice idea BMT but the only thing with residential weekends is that they can end up being rather costly!

In theory I would be interested but of course depending where it was.....course costs with travelling costs etc.

Most of the adult ballet things going on are in London at the moment.

No doubt you've heard of LAB ......London Amateur Ballet ......they've got a few courses and summer schools coming up. But again in London.

Also there's The Chelsea Ballet which does quite a bit of performing and meet on Thursdays I believe but again in London. They do have a Masterclass at the Place once a month which I usually go to. You can PM me if you want to know more about this. They also have a summer school this August. But all in London.

I'm sure you will find enough people to attend though if you can attract the right teachers.

Are you going to do any of the other City Academy workshops coming up? I loved the Masterclass on Saturday as well.

Thanks Michelle - I live in Leeds and I have attended eve classes at Northern Ballet, although I think the workshops are during the weekday and I work full time :( I will have a look at Birmingham as that's a bit closer to me than London. I do work from London occasionally and I take classes there when I can, but I can't commit to a particular class as my work travel is so unpredictable - hence why weekends are better. I'm also going to look at Scottish ballet - thanks.

Thanks Lin - I will have a look at Chelsea summer school - it would make more sense to attend summer school than travel every week. I will be attending future masterclasses at City Academy, but haven't decided which as yet. Rejane mentioned an evening one and if I can arrange a work meeting on the same day then that would be a good solution.

I have agreed with my husband that I will travel to London once per month on a weekend to attend classes - staying over on a Sat night - so that I can do as many classes on Sat and Sun that I can fit in. I know Central do some classes on a Sunday so I am considering those too.

Birmingham Royal Ballet do adult classes as part of their Insight Taster sessions but these are only held a couple of times a year. The last one was half term and I think they are usually in school holidays and early evening for adults.

RAD are looking to start running adult associate classes in Birmingham in the near future. I suspect that means April but I have no idea of day/times/cost. At this stage they are asking adults to email Julie Bowers jbowers@rad.org.uk to register interest. The childrens scheme runs once a month for 4 months at a time but I am not sure if adults will be the same.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention Franziska Rosenzweig who runs class plus repertoire days as well nearly always on a saturday over near Old Street tube. These are usually between February and September. She also has regular classes at Danceworks including on Sundays. She has a double session on Sunday and lots stay to do both classes. If you google her and then look for courses under her Holistic Ballet page you can see what she did last year. She also has her own studio and you can have private lessons or if you know someone book a session for up to three people which lessens the cost. Ive had a couple of individual with her. For example say if you wanted to work on pirouettes she will give a short barre(I was working on more than one thing) and then work just on pirouettes. I am similar to in that I came back to ballet two years ago (well nearly three now) after a 20 year gap.

Franziskas workshops have a similar format to Rejane in that there is an hour of Pilates, then a ballet class and then an hour or so on a piece of repertoire and usually run from 10-3pm on sats. The level of ballet attainment of the attendees though is higher than on the City Academy there seem to be more approaching Intermediate level and a few more advanced.......most seem to have been doing ballet for at least 3-4 yrs. ....and some girls do the rep on pointe. If you are thinking of eventually including pointe work then she does pointe work classes as well including a beginners one.

Central is good for classes on Sundays but not so much Saturday. Ive been to David Kierce there. He has three classes on Sundays a level one....more beginners.....level 2 Improvers ......and then his advanced class. But there are other teachers there too. All the classes are drop in. Just up the road from Central is the Urdang Academy and there are classes there for adults too!!

Goodness though coming all the way down to London from Leeds for a workshop!!! I'm sure Northern Ballet will do some repertoire type classes soon.....they do have ballet classes in the week.....I looked recently as I'll be up in Leeds next Saturday(23rd) but they don't unfortunately have classes on sat for adults but Ive decided to give the place the once over anyway!!

I can't believe there is no ballet going on in Manchester for adults does anybody know of anything there?

The Chelsea Ballet Summer School is to be held at Pineapple studios (in that lovely studio right up at the top) from the 4th to the 8th August 2014.

Another good thing about this is there is a set charge per class and you only pay for the classes you actually do......so you could only do one class a day if you wanted. Last year there was :- a Pilates class; two ballet classes; two pointe work classes; and a contemporary class. I did three a day......one ballet, one contemporary and alternated the Pilates and a pointeworke class ........but I didnt go on pointe just used the class to strengthen the ankles.........which astounded me and certainly built up stamina as I had done nothing more than once a day until then!!

The last Masterclass for Chelsea is this Monday(18th) when Richard Ramsey will be taking his last class for a while there(there is a happy event for him and wife very soon!) I can let you know when start again in the New Year. Both Richard and his wife teach own the Chelsea Summer School and are ex Royal Ballet etc.

• Like 1

Lin

Has Chelsea Ballet's Master class for December been cancelled then, as the last notification I got from Louise was it would be a Friday either 6 or 13 and Laura Hussey was to be the teacher. Laura is my teacher at my level 3 class at ENB, she is an excellent teacher and helped me a lot with my own choreography when she was my level 1 teacher.

BMT

Who is your evening teacher at Northern, I have done a couple of sessions with Fi(Fiona)evening classes, but I can only do full days there when ENB are on break. I will be there again during the last week of the current term and join Fi's class again, I really like Fi.

The city academy course looks really good. I'm 18 and I do grade 6 ballet, about to start intermediate, would it be too hard? Is it worth the money? I've been wanting to do something like this for ages and being at the ROH woukd be incredible but I'm not sure I'm brave enough!

You will be absolutely fine, just go for it. Its a complete mix of abilities from beginners. Most bits of rep usually have two options, easy and a little more challenging, so it suits everyone. But the main thing is, they can be danced side by side as a company of dancers.

Any course / workshop at the ROH is more expensive in comparison of other venue's, but that's because of where it is. Most of City's classes that I've been too have been at Sadler's Wells.

Edited by Michelle_Richer
  • Like 1

As far as I know there's no December Masterclass but it may well be Laura Hussey teaching for a while next year!

That name rings a bell I wonder if she is ex- Harlow?

If it is I did a Summer School back in the 70's with her when she was a star dancer!! Very young!!