Adult Ballet in Bristol

FullContretemps

I remember a while ago there were some discussions of a school in or near Bristol (I think) for adult ballet but I can't find it using the search tool (excuse my incompetence). I think David somebody went there and one or two others I can't remember. Can anybody shed any light on this? It's for a friend who lives in Bristol who used to do ballet when she was younger, just recreationally, and is looking to start again - probably just a once-a-week hobby thing for her but I thought somebody here might have some pointers to some classes even if not that school.

Thanks for your help!

Don't think this is where David went but your friend could look into Dance Station/344 ballet school . I have no personal experience of the adult classes but know they do them in a variety of styles, including ballet, tap, modern. They are based in Fishponds but have branches elsewhere in the city. The school was recommended to us for our teenage DD originally but she got into vocational school so we never followed up on it.

www.dancestation.org.uk

I think that Dave Wilson goes to the Bristol Russian Ballet School. I may be wrong about this, though. He writes a blog called something like DaveTriesBallet and that is his Twitter name as well, and so you could contact him for suggestions.

Yes that's correct Aileen.

We had a very good ex Royal teacher who came to Brighton to do a couple of classes at Brighton College and she was based in Bristol and seemed to run a few classes in the area. Some of her pupils came all the way from Bristol to here to do the classes as well.

I'll see if I can root out her name. I'll be seeing someone tomorrow who did the classes with me too hopefully between us we will remember!

If it's more of a hobby, then 344 in Fishponds would be good. The classes are pay as you go and there are different levels. My elder dd goes to the adult classes in ballet and tap. 

My younger dd goes to Bristol Russian Ballet School so pm me if you'd like more information about these schools or with any questions :) 

• Like 1

http://www.adultballetclasses.co.uk/

I hope this link works and should give info about Louise Bracey.

This is the lady who came to,Brighton but is based in Bristol.

However I would try the Bristol Russian....as well....!!

It depends how keen your friend is in the end but she could try out a few as mentioned already and see what suits her best.

Hi FullContretemps (and everyone else!),

Yup - I take classes at the Russian Ballet School, but I take the advanced class with teenagers rather than the adult classes. I've never taken their adult classes but am sure they'll be awesome! I also dance at Ballet Bristol, which is an adult repertoire group. I do their Wednesday sessions which consist of a class followed by repertoire - the class isn't really about "teaching" ballet to the members, more as a warm up for rep. I don't know any other classes in Bristol, but know quite a few in Bath too!

Feel free to send me a PM if you want more info!

David

• Like 4

I love the sound of your Wednesday class!! What rep are you working on at the mo or do you do little extracts each week?

At the moment we're working on a condensed version of La Fille mal Gardee that one of the women is choreographing. A group of ladies are learning the Harvester's dance, another group are learning the chicken dance (looks so much fun!) and then I'm learning a small section with one of the girls as Lise and Colas. This is for a small "open evening" in December where family and friends can come and watch class then a small performance of La Fille. To give an idea of other rep, in the Summer Gala this year I performed in the Precious Stones suite from Sleeping Beauty, the Pas de Trois from Swan Lake, and the Wheat Pas de Deux from Coppelia.  Some pieces we 'teach' ourselves from videos, some are 'led' by members of the group.

With the Russian YBC we're currently working on two performances of Cinderella next year (with ENBs Elena Glurjidze dancing the title role!) and last year performed Swan Lake. But each fortnightly session we tend to work on other bits of rep too - recently I've learnt variations from Don Q, Corsaire, Gayane, and more, along with the Corsaire PdD and some corps de ballet pieces. These are all taught by my two amazing teachers, along with the occasional guest teacher.

I'm very very lucky to get so much opportunity to learn rep!

• Like 4