Reviving a floppy tutu

taxi4ballet

Back in the days of festivals, we always used to tip the tutu upside down overnight and spray it with a lot of hairspray. You can alternatively get some dress starch but I found it works ok with hairspray depending on how floppy your tutu is. Just out of curiosity where did you get your tutu from/made ? Please message me, we're looking for a tutu maker.

• Like 1

If you are happy to sew you can squeeze in extra layers of net, not dress net but the really stiff net. Doing this will hold up the floppy layers. Or how about adding a hoop it is a bit of a pain to add a casing after the net has been gathered but it will also support the net.

Best way is as stated above to sew in some extra layers of stiff net. I have also used spray starch (lots) and an iron but it takes ages and results were nowhere near as good as adding new layers. Never heard of using hairspray before but seems a sensible suggestion and then rather than just hanging upside down try turning inside out so the layers of net are held up inside the body of the tutu (hope this makes sense!). I store all un-hooped tutu's this way as much more compact as well.

I would suggest getting a hoop put in. It can be done after the tutu has been made. I bought my DD an unhooped tutu and found the skirt too floppy so the lady who makes costumes at our school put a hoop in for me and it made a world of difference.

Thank you everyone for some great suggestions - I think I might try the starch, since I'm not much of a dressmaker and hairspray makes me sneeze...

Balletmad97, I can't help with a tutu maker I'm afraid, as this one came from a "well-known internet auction" site a year or so ago.

Talking of hairspray, I did once hear on the grapevine that excessive hairspray use in theatre dressing rooms tends to set off the fire alarms!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I did it!

I tried the spray starch, which did work well, but in the end I decided that what it really needed was more layers of net.

Off to the shop, where I managed to find just the right shade of blue net, but none in burgundy. Blue it is, then.

It's amazing just how awkward yards of the stuff is: when you've got it draped round the dining chairs, it seems to have a mind of it's own!

Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, tussling with the net. Finally got it tamed and cut into right lengths. Sewed like mad so it would be ready as a surprise for dd when she came home from residential Easter school. How wrong I was! When she put it on the tutu net sprang up wildly (I'd obviously used too much) and it looked totally ridiculous. So - off it all came again - let's use a bit less this time I thought.

Good job I didn't do it that evening, since on the following day, dd's teacher said she really liked the burgundy net on it, and she had some I could have if I liked...

So, checklist - new net - use less this time - child present for fittings - burgundy cotton - several hours - Finished!

Now all I have to do is sew on some sequins...

• Like 5