Leotards for auditions

Jazzpaws

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, Goodytwoshoes - although high cut leotards on very long legs do sometimes look a little too much..?! I would have thought that a camisole type leotard would be suited to most physiques and show them off at their best, maybe with crossed straps or some interest on the bodice or in the colour if a plain camisole type feels a little too 'exam-like'. However, no audition panel is going to be fooled by a beautiful leotard, however classical it looks, so I would say to wear what makes you feel confident and comfortable. (Albeit perhaps not a slashed sparkly jazzy number?!)

• Like 2

An Arabesque 'Carla' is a very nice audition leotard, has a very high leg line so helps those without endless legs to look leggier. Comes in quite a lot of different colours too.  Also I believe Bloch do a high cut leg line leotard on their website, it also has a low back, not sure if this is advantageous or not??

• Like 2

My opinion is that it helps to put yourself in the place of the audience panel when making a decision. The leotard should be in keeping with the style of the audition so if classical then a classic looking leotard is good. I agree with comments that it is best to get something which is flattering in terms of leg length etc but ultimately if a dancer is well groomed and shows potential this will evoke the panel's attention.

• Like 2

My opinion is that it helps to put yourself in the place of the audience panel when making a decision. The leotard should be in keeping with the style of the audition so if classical then a classic looking leotard is good. I agree with comments that it is best to get something which is flattering in terms of leg length etc but ultimately if a dancer is well groomed and shows potential this will evoke the panel's attention.

If the dancer feels comfortable in what they are wearing then this too can only act in their favour.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your advice - DD is 15 and will be auditioning for classical ballet, leg length isn't an issue as she has 34:" inside leg. Sounds like a good idea to use the same leotard for the photos, just waiting for all the application forms to be posted, to see which positions are required, so the photos can all be done in one session. I will let her choose the colour then if she loves the leotard, hopefully she'll feel more relaxed, will just make sure it isn't too flashy x

• Like 3

Same leotard as the photo is good.  When my DD auditioned 2 years ago most of the girls were in black or navy camisole leotards with only a few we saw in deep burgundy colour or dark.  Some wore standard exam leotards and others had some little details on them - like lace trim - but nothing too fancy.  In each audition she went to there were a couple of girls in bright leotards so yes they would have stood out, but my DD was nervous enough before an audition as she warmed up and would have hated everyone's eyes to be on her at the warmup stage.  My main advice is for your DD to wear something she is comfortable in and feels good in, that stays in place whatever moves she does as the last thing you want is her fidgeting and adjusting the leotard to detract from her dancing - after all that is what the audition panel are actually interested in.

• Like 3

If the dancer feels comfortable in what they are wearing then this too can only act in their favour.

• Like 1

Advice from royal associate teachers has always been to avoid black or navy and go for a colour. We were told RBS don't like crossed straps so to avoid those. Another thing to consider is whether it is easy to pin your number on the back of a leotard if it is very low. It definitely had to be plain, even a logo on the front was frowned upon. For junior auditions we have always had to have a waist elastic so they can check hip alignment. Is this still a requirement for 6th form auditions does anyone know. It was requested for yr10/11 finals at RBS. At the end of the day, they will be assessing the dancer, not the leotard so I'm sure comfort and confidence is more important than anything else in the end. We were told to add small bows or flowers to match the leotard for yr 7 auditions.

• Like 2

A small tip for those of you looking for a matching waist elastic. Buy a white waist elastic and a felt pen of similar colour to the leotard. Take the end off the felt pen and remove the coloured inner part. Put it in a cup of water and allow the dye to come out. After a few minutes, remove the felt tip inner and place the elastic in the cup of dye. We did this to match an aquamarine leotard and it produced an amazing result which was permanent after the elastic had dried out. Great for matching more unusual leotard colours and more flexible than using normal ribbon.

• Like 9

There are so many useful tips here - thank you everyone. I looked at the Carla leotard from arabesque, which has lovely simple lines and comes in a variety of colours, but is unline. DD feels more comfortable with a leotard with front lining. It brought back memories of my older DD's dancing at Thurrock and Barling and going to a shop in Westcliff that made arabesque leotards -- I emailed arabesque and yes, they still make the leotards and can easily put in a front liner or bra liner if required - good result :)

• Like 4

Jazzpaws, I know wrestling and barking well as I grew up very near there, if you are in that area I'm sure Justballet could help you at her shop in Thorpe Bay! 

Blimey, wrestling and barking!!! Blooming autocorrect, should say Westcliff and Barling!!! 

Edited by along for the ride mum
  • Like 7

Jazzpaws, I know wrestling and barking well as I grew up very near there, if you are in that area I'm sure Justballet could help you at her shop in Thorpe Bay

Blimey, wrestling and barking!!! Blooming autocorrect, should say Westcliff and Barling!!! 

Haha wrestle and bark !!!!!

My older girls had classes in Grays with a wonderful teacher, who also had a school in Barling. We later moved to Suffolk and my youngest DD has a fantastic RAD teacher (not sure if I am allowed to be more precise, so i will just say in a mid Suffolk village) :)

• Like 2

More than happy to help :)

If you just need a simple classical camisole, you can't bet this one for £9.99! Fully lined front, cotton Lycra and gathered front on burgundy version, plain front on the black one.

Also, only 3 slots left on Gaynor Minden pointe shoe fitting day 10am, 10:30, 1:30pm Saturday 26th Oct and 10% off GM purchases on the day. That brings shoes down to £70 from £78, not cheap, but if they're the right shoe for you, at least they last longer than many others!

Sx

• Like 1