Royal Ballet - 2013/14 booking period 2 - casting

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Casting update - Jewels

Itziar Mendizabal will replace Fumi Kaneko and Nicol Edmonds will replace Ryoichi Hirano in Emeralds for the matinee performance on 21 December and evening performance on 30 December.

Laura Morera will replace Fumi Kaneko in Emeralds for the matinee performance on 28 December.

Ryoichi Hirano will replace Nehemiah Kish in Emeralds for the evening performance on 17 December, evening performance on 28 December, the matinee performance on 30 December and evening performance on 7 January.

Casting update - Hansel & Gretel

Luca Acri will replace Ludovic Ondiviela in the role of Hansel for the evening performance on 25 January and on 28 January.

Alexander Campbell will dance the role of the Witch for the evening performances on 24, 25 and 27 January, previously ‘to be announced’.

• 2 weeks later...

I've only just realised that at some stage the casting for Jewels on the 21st matinee has been tweaked: it was supposed to be the same as tonight's, so I booked that rather than tonight, but now I see that the Emeralds cast has been changed to second cast, and I've now got 3 performances by the second(ish) cast and only 1 by the first.  Am not impressed at all.

Incidentally, in the mishmash of names for the various performances, I see that Kaneko's name is still in there for the 21st, but not for any other performances.  I'm assuming that she's still injured and that this is an error?

I actually booked hoping to see the second cast Emeralds on 21st although the original brochure did say first cast (due to train problems during the Christmas period I've had to swap tickets) and I've got the first cast on 7th January,  also I don't really like the early start but it was the only performance left!

I've only just realised that at some stage the casting for Jewels on the 21st matinee has been tweaked: it was supposed to be the same as tonight's, so I booked that rather than tonight, but now I see that the Emeralds cast has been changed to second cast, and I've now got 3 performances by the second(ish) cast and only 1 by the first.  Am not impressed at all.

Incidentally, in the mishmash of names for the various performances, I see that Kaneko's name is still in there for the 21st, but not for any other performances.  I'm assuming that she's still injured and that this is an error?

Kaneko is replaced by Mendizabal on 21st. See my post above.

Cory Stearns was originally scheduled to partner Lauren Cuthbertson in Romeo & Juliet. My guess is that, having been off injured for such a lengthy period, Lauren was nervous/reluctant to make her return to the stage in a major role with a new and untried partner. She would obviously feel more secure being partnered by Federico,her previous Romeo.

Since this exchange of dancers with ABT had already been contracted,something else had to be found for Cory Stearns to appear in which wouldn't require either lengthy rehearsal or undue stress. So a well practiced 10 minute pas de deux as opposed to a complex and demanding 3 act ballet was deemed to be the solution.

Having seen and admired the elegant and personable Mr Stearns in action, I would like to think that we will be allowed to see more of him with the Royal Ballet in some capacity. It is worth noting that he does have an English wife......!!

• Like 1

It seems like most of the 'exchange' dancers have done relatively small roles - McRae danced Lakendem in ABTs Corsaire, Boylston danced Sugar Plum Fairy with Royal Danish Ballet. The one exception is Alban Lendorf dancing the Prince in Sleeping Beauty at ABT (although I guess he doesn't have anything to do in Act I!). 

I think it is inevitable for dancers to want to raise their international profile with guesting - I certainly feel adding a formal structure to this idea has worked. Hopefully the scheme can be expanded next year - perhaps to include National Ballet of Canada to align with the Erik Bruhn prize participant companies?

• 5 weeks later...

The Rhapsody triple bill casting - as currently displayed on the ROH booking page - is very inconsistently presented - and has a fair few TBCs, which I don't think were there before. 

Does anybody have a word to the wise whom we might expect when?

The Rhapsody and Gloria castings are as originally announced (drill down to the performance date page from the production page for clearer details: example).  The TBC refers to the cast for the new Wayney - you have to ignore the awful formatting on the production page.

I don't think so, Paul, although I'm as confused as you.  I think it's McRae/Morera, Zucchetti/Choe and Hay/Hayward for Rhapsody, TBC for the McGregor (although thanks to Eric Underwood's recent tweet we have a fair idea of the cast) and the rest for Gloria.

But the formatting is as usual incredibly shoddy.  The person doing it seems to have no idea about the ballet company at all.

• Like 1

No - that doesn't make sense to me, even for format issues.

Both leads in Rhapsody had been credited before - we seem to have lost various halves now - I think?!

And they still are.  Have a look at the link I posted - both names are there on the right hand side (even though the conductor is named between them).

The ROH website is showing both McRae and Campbell as injured in Hansel and Gretel, replaced by Thom and Hirano, who dance the roles in the other cast too.

Edit: don't think McRae is injured, just not dancing.

Edited by Beryl H