RB - Alice's Adventures, 2012 revival

Some practicalities, the performance timings for the matinee, supplied by the ROH. The work is now in three acts - and longer.

Approximate performance timings:

Announcement 12.30pm - 12.31pm (1 minutes)

Act I 12.31pm - 1.16pm (45 minutes)

Interval (20 minutes)

Act II 1.36pm - 2.02pm (26 minutes)

Interval (25 minutes)

Act III 2.27pm - 3.16pm (49 minutes)

Approximate end time: 3.16pm

I imagine we'll need a thread for this! Judith Flanders (Arts Desk) excoriates it today - see LInks - but alternative views may be available. Reactions to its being divided into 3 Acts? New material?

Edited by Ian Macmillan
How silly! I had looked first, but clearly had not seen.

"Alice" will never do it for me, it didn't last year and still doesn't this time around . It's all about props and stage effects. I think it must be such a frustrating ballet to perform for the RB dancers. There is not enough dancing in there for them but walking under cover as a "Caterpillar", acting as "Card Couples", being covered up in black and puppeteering a "Cat" (they are dancers not puppeteers!). Thank goodness for the Flower Waltz and the Card Dance. Their talent is grossly underused. IMO it would make a great West-End show but it's not a Ballet for the RB dancers. I can't wait until they move on to the Triple Bill when I'll get to see real dancing. I fully agree with The Artsdesk (J.Flanders)' review.

Some pictures from the Alice Photoshoot...

6996425093_babdfb4892_z.jpg

Sisters (Sarah Lamb as Alice, with Leanne Cope and Samantha Raine)

© Dave Morgan. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

6996422221_b67043dcc1_z.jpg

Drink Me - and Alice does (Sarah Lamb)

6850291260_d145e1b71d_z.jpg

Flamingo used as a croquet mallet (Romany Pajdak)

See more...

Dave Morgan's Royal Ballet’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland photo set - 32 images

Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 2

And here are my thoughts on Saturday's performance (as tweeted earlier today).

The Royal Ballet's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland returned on Saturday with a new improved version although there's still room for improvement. It remains a frolic and an enjoyable one at that, with great sets and costumes (other than the giant hands) and simple, elegant choreography. The first cast Alice is Lauren Cuthbertson (on whom the role was created) and this time round we see much more of her character - at times frightened, curious, frustrated, delirious, delighted. Her footwork was always crisp and she filled the stage in her joyous partnership with Federico Bonelli, who has returned to pre-operation form with this role. Expressive acting made his role complete (nice to see a bit more dancing for the knave of hearts). Laura Morera's cartoonish face added to the entertainment value of the queen of hearts, a role which is as much about the comedy as the dancing. And a special hurrah for McRae's crisp, clear tapping as the Mad Hatter (though what he was up to with Ric Cervera's March Hare at the end I don't know!). A great performance from the supporting cast and corps completed a show which sent me out into the street with a smile to rival that of the Chesire Cat. Those who saw the first Alice incarnation may, like me, feel the curtain bringing down act 1 doesn't work and the Duchess's sausages may be a cloche too far. This is something which could be worked on for the 2013 return, along with the shortness of act 2 (only 20 minutes), but these things don't spoil it too much for me! 2nd cast Alice tonight and, based on the FGR, I'm really looking forward to it and a couple of impressive debuts.

L

• Like 1

I think the 'tweaks' have greatly improved the pacing of the piece - I liked it before, and like it even more now. Still a couple of sections a bit too long (the caucus race for example, though nice to see Emm-Jane win it!) but I can live with that.

Enjoyed both casts Saturday, both the Friends Rehearsal, and the opening night. The two Spanish ballerinas dancing the Queen of Hearts were both terrific (Itziar Mendizabal, who particularly made me laugh, and Laura Morera) which means a clean sweep for Spain if Tamara Rojo still doing it (you could count Zenaida Yanowsky as Spanish too, as memory serves). What is it with these mad Spanish ladies!! :-) Loved both Sarah Lamb and Lauren Cuthbertson as Alice, and Federico Bonelli and Steven McRae as Jack/Knave. Mr McRae excels as The Hatter too - giving the role an extra hint of creepy malice, as well as blistering tap dancing. I think the flower waltz scrumptious, and the cards 'shuffling' as dizzingly fast paced and energetic. The jokes and classical parodies may wear a little bit after repeated viewing, but then I don't suppose any gag continues to be laugh out when you see/hear it loads of times - as meant really only to be seen the once. Mind you, I still lauged like a loon at the 'Tart Adage'.

Really looking forward to seeing Beatriz Stix-Brunel's debut on Saturday. She brings joy to the stage and lights it up whenever she dances.

Really looking forward to seeing Beatriz Stix-Brunel's debut on Saturday. She brings joy to the stage and lights it up whenever she dances.

When did a woman in the corps de ballet last dance the lead in a 3-act ballet at the RB, I wonder? The last one I remember was Dana Fouras as Juliet, but surely there must have been some since then that I've forgotten?

Just Itziar and Laura? Or is there another?

Is Zenaida Yanowsky injured? Having seen the televised performance last year, I was hoping to see her perform live this year :( I'm sure Laura and Itziar will be fantastic, though.

Also thank you Dave M for the photos!

DaveM said: "Really looking forward to seeing Beatriz Stix-Brunel's debut on Saturday. She brings joy to the stage and lights it up whenever she dances".

Who wouldn't bring joy to the stage and light up whenever she dances Dave when - as a Corps dancer - one gets such an opportunity!!!! I think they all would have a very big smile on their face :)

Edited by ninag

Is Zenaida Yanowsky injured? Having seen the televised performance last year, I was hoping to see her perform live this year sad.png

I'm afraid so, but Mendizabal was very good last night. There are a *lot* of cast changes since last year.

Who wouldn't bring joy to the stage and light up whenever she dances Dave when - as a Corps dancer - one gets such an opportunity!!!! I think they all would have a very big smile on their face :)

She ALWAYS dances with a smile! :-) Its not that big a surprise really when you think about it, as Chris Wheeldon knows her well. She danced for him in his Morphoses company, so would be a natural choice I'd have thought. But yes, a big opportunity whichever way you look at it, and one I'm sure she'll grasp

(have a look at the Ballo de regina pics on the old balletco galleries, and you'll see what i mean)

She ALWAYS dances with a smile! :-) Its not that big a surprise really when you think about it, as Chris Wheeldon knows her well. She danced for him in his Morphoses company, so would be a natural choice I'd have thought. But yes, a big opportunity whichever way you look at it, and one I'm sure she'll grasp

(have a look at the Ballo de regina pics on the old balletco galleries, and you'll see what i mean)

Just tried to find those pictures, Dave and couldn't find anything that was put in the gallery before July last year. Can you provide a link?

Edited to say that I used a different route and found them:

http://www.ballet.co.uk/gallery/dm_royal_ballet_live_fire_3bill_roh_0511

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

Melissa Hamilton in Mayerling (October 2009)

I was going to mention that as well, but then thought it's not really *the* lead in that ballet in the same way that Alice is, just one of the leading roles.

Edit: there have been a couple of recent "near misses", though: I think Akane Takada would have been in Sleeping Beauty had she not been injured, and Yuhui Choe in ... something-or-other, but I think they were both promoted out of artist status between the casting being announced and the scheduled performance. (At what stage does a dancer stop being regarded as "corps de ballet" - when they make Soloist, or later?)

I was going to mention that as well, but then thought it's not really *the* lead in that ballet in the same way that Alice is, just one of the leading roles.

Edit: there have been a couple of recent "near misses", though: I think Akane Takada would have been in Sleeping Beauty had she not been injured, and Yuhui Choe in ... something-or-other, but I think they were both promoted out of artist status between the casting being announced and the scheduled performance. (At what stage does a dancer stop being regarded as "corps de ballet" - when they make Soloist, or later?)

Akane was Sugar Plum in Nutcracker...

I'm afraid so, but Mendizabal was very good last night. There are a *lot* of cast changes since last year.

Thank you, alison. Fingers crossed that she will be well enough to dance in Prince of the Pagodas later on in the year ...

Any feedback on Beatriz Stix-Brunell's debut as Alice this afternoon? There were some enthusiastic tweets including this from bangorballetboy: "Absolutely gorgeous debut from Beatriz Stix-Brunell. Bravissima! #AliceinTwitterland"

More and longer please!

Yes, let's be having some reports please, especially after seeing the rehearsal on Friday! Who else was in this cast?

Well, if ever there was an example of how to grasp the nettle of opportunity, there was a masterclass in it from Beatriz Stix-Brunell in Saturday's 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'. I can't recall a more assured debut in a 3-act ballet before, not even from seasoned Principals. Beatriz danced the whole 3 acts like this was her 3rd or 4th revival, not her debut. When she smiled, hers outdid the Cheshire Cat - but this was only one element in a multi-faceted acting performance; joy, fear, surprise, marvel, mystification, delight, annoyance, frustration, humour - all radiated out. Her dancing shone, the steps flowed naturally out of her, allowing a full on characterisation to come through, naturally through the steps, and a personality OF Alice. It was nothing short of astonishingly accomplished.

I can only add that I think we're lucky to have her here in London, and earnestly hope that the RB hang on to her. Hope to see many more performances, in many roles, from this young dancer, whose potential I reckon is almost limitless. As someone else said - we saw a star being born. I feel privileged to have been there to see it.

Well, if ever there was an example of how to grasp the nettle of opportunity, there was a masterclass in it from Beatriz Stix-Brunell in Saturday's 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'. I can't recall a more assured debut in a 3-act ballet before, not even from seasoned Principals. Beatriz danced the whole 3 acts like this was her 3rd or 4th revival, not her debut. When she smiled, hers outdid the Cheshire Cat - but this was only one element in a multi-faceted acting performance; joy, fear, surprise, marvel, mystification, delight, annoyance, frustration, humour - all radiated out. Her dancing shone, the steps flowed naturally out of her, allowing a full on characterisation to come through, naturally through the steps, and a personality OF Alice. It was nothing short of astonishingly accomplished.

I can only add that I think we're lucky to have her here in London, and earnestly hope that the RB hang on to her. Hope to see many more performances, in many roles, from this young dancer, whose potential I reckon is almost limitless. As someone else said - we saw a star being born. I feel privileged to have been there to see it.

She really was extraordinary - totally assured and in control, and gave a really finely detailed reading of the character. There were heaps of bouquets at the end, richly deserved. Hard to believe it was a debut but it was. A really beliveable adolescent Alice.

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to get a ticket for Alice yesterday, Beatriz Stix-Brunell was captivating as Alice, she has a light willowy style with beautiful arm movements, endless possibilities for her, also liked Nehemiah Kish who was a marvellous partner for her. Only really went to see her but found myself liking Alice a little bit more this time round, didn't mind the extra 20 minute interval as it gave a break from the hectic pace for the audience as well as for Alice! As a result there's not much ballet dancing until act 2, Alice's solo, Caterpillar (Fernando Montano excellent), waltz, then an extended pdd for Alice and Jack, much needed, and beautifully danced. Act 3 passes quickly, the garden scene, Rose Adage (am I the only person not to really find this funny?) and trial scene, until one of the best moments, the collapse of the playing cards and whole court, the journey back throught the rabbit hole, and the epilogue which is charming and nostalgic, a moment of stillness at the end of a hectic and too manic ballet.

The audience adored it though, including lots of children on Easter holidays, and I'm so glad I saw Beatriz Stix-Brunell and Nehemiah Kish, on an off-chance!

I hadn't booked to see Alice this season, as I felt last time that once was enough for me. But then a friend phoned me at 6.30 on Tuesday offering me a free ticket for that night if I could get there in time... so obviously I said yes :)

I very much appreciated the interval between Acts 1 and 2 (and have no idea how I sat through it without a break last time). Am I right in thinking that the pas de deux/trois between Alice and the Knave and occasionally the White Rabbit towards the end of Act 1 was new? I really liked that.

I also love all the other Alice/Knave pas de deux, and the Rose Adage (which Laura Morera danced hilariously and brilliantly). I thought Beatriz Stix-Brunell was a very good Alice, and Ricardo Cervera was great as the White Rabbit.

But overall my opinion is still the same: too much impressive staging, not enough dancing. Acts 1 and 2 are too episodic and far too long. I feel like some aspects are great fun the first time you see them (eg the Cheshire Cat) but don't hold any interest on a second viewing. I found myself wishing it would hurry up and get to the actual dancing.

Better than seeing no ballet at all, but worse than seeing any other ballet. I won't be bothering again - unless someone else would like to offer me a free ticket :)