Alina Cojocaru and Johan Kobborg to leave The Royal Ballet

I say this as a private individual: This is not on. You had a private conversation with somebody and they would not expect to see it quoted publicly to all. This is not acceptable behavior.

As a Moderator, I too agree with Bruce, despite what certain other people posting earlier on this thread seem to think.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know how you feel concerning this, Aileen - especially when matters become so personal (as some have seemed here at least to me of late) and when the commentary moves far away (even in reviews) from the heart of dance and its related production which is, I believe, the heart of this admirable undertaking.  Can I be the only person on this forum board who has felt exactly the same as you have so clearly expressed Aileen - let us say distinctly uneasy - about at least one of the items on this particular board [i was shocked to see it return after having been removed for review .... and would love to know the reasoning behind that judgement (e.g., for its reappearance) by the appropriate balletcoforum arbitrators] and certainly several other notations on the board specifically concerning Matthew Golding?  There is part of me that very much hopes not .... otherwise I am I fear REALLY out on a limb.  

A response to @Aileen also.

I don't see anything wrong in either Cojocaru or Guillem going on the record with their thoughts on the way they have been managed. And I see no bar whatsoever to Monica Mason giving her thoughts - like them she is a free agent.

The forum, as originally moderated by me, was for intelligent discussion about all aspects of ballet and dance. I think a forum that encourages people to talk about positive things but discourages talk on difficult issues, or asks people to sit on their hands and not mention them, would be a bad and silly place, Although I don't set the tone these days I don't believe the committee wants to see only happy(-clappy) talk on reviews and that news and other deeper and controversial discussion gets massaged away.  As ever the thing is how you talk about these things.

With regard to Matthew Golding I didn't see anything terribly wrong in the coverage on BalletcoForum.

• Like 7

A response to @Aileen also.

I don't see anything wrong in either Cojocaru or Guillem going on the record with their thoughts on the way they have been managed. And I see no bar whatsoever to Monica Mason giving her thoughts - like them she is a free agent.

The forum, as originally moderated by me, was for intelligent discussion about all aspects of ballet and dance. I think a forum that encourages people to talk about positive things but discourages talk on difficult issues, or asks people to sit on their hands and not mention them, would be a bad and silly place, Although I don't set the tone these days I don't believe the committee wants to see only happy(-clappy) talk on reviews and that news and other deeper and controversial discussion gets massaged away.  As ever the thing is how you talk about these things.

With regard to Matthew Golding I didn't see anything terribly wrong in the coverage on BalletcoForum.

Thanks, Bruce, for your - as always - insightful input.  I should I guess have been more clear.  It was the item reporting the occurrence of an emotive response on the street from Alina in which was leveled an accusation against another forum member which (at least for me) was left unclear which certainly raised questions in my mind as to its inclusion.  That was the specific piece that had been removed ... and I simply wondered - given the question - why it had returned.  That's all, pure and simple.  I certainly wouldn't want 'happy clappy' either.  Never have.  If that were the case I doubt I would waste my time with attendance.  Certainly the public record of Alina's and Guillem's remarks as published is fair play ... and those mentioned in them DO have right to recourse I should imagine if they so desired ... and certainly if they wished to push for it.  I have a feeling that they may choose not to ... and let that speak for itself.  

Edited by Meunier

I think its for proper mods to comment on moderation and what posts were meditated on. But mods have a hard job - which is why after a long time of doing it I decided it was good to stop!   They will never please all the people all the time. Ultimately the thread, one assumes, is fine as it now is.

Edit: Just to add that the thread is OK with me - if some things are not always expressed so cleverly well.  And I thought John Mallinson's reminder of which way is up was useful. Probably all been done to death now!

• Like 2

May I just remind everyone of this section in our Acceptable Use Policy:

"We are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board.

Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by clicking the Report link. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary."

If anyone feels that a post contravenes the Acceptable Use Policy, please use the proper reporting procedures.

Many thanks,

Spanner.

• Like 2

As the topic had veered onto much more general matters, I have moved the later posts to a new thread in the "performances seen and general discussion" forum:

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/5091-royal-ballet-which-way-now/

Thanks to Lindsay for starting this lively debate.  Please post your more general thoughts on the new topic.   Thanks!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The person who organised the last two flower throwns for Cojocaru and Kobborg is working on it. She is not on ballet.co, but some poeple here are helping her, maybe they can give their contacs :-)

All those who gave a contribution for Alina and Johan flowers may be happy to know that they were so generous that it was raised more than the double of the needed :-) The organisers decided to use the leftover for a permanent memory of the night: a huge glass bowl, engraved with Alina and Johan names, the date and "from your loyal and admiring Covent Garden audience", was given to Cojocaru and Kobborg after her Nutcracker on the 27th. They both were very moved and happy, somebody took photos shared by Johan on his facebook page and Alina tweeted her thank you (her account is @dancingAlina).

Thanks for posting this, Anna.  What a lovely idea ... and one which hopefully re-affirms to Alina and Johan how much they were (are!) loved by their audience.  I'm not on facebook - I don't suppose there is some way a link to, or copy of, the photos could be posted here?

I took photos, I am trying to work out how to share a link to them but it's proving to be beyond me! I tried to put them on a google album and share them as "public" but it crashed my computer! Does anybody know how to share photos here easily?! 

Edited by Amanda

Thanks very much, Amanda.  Unfortunately, I can't access them - I just seem to get to my own Google account (although this is probably more to do with my lack of technical knowhow than anything else :wacko:) .  Thanks again for trying though - much appreciated.  

Ah - sorry: it seems the link works for me but for nobody else, not helpful! I have made the setting on the photos "public" and Johan has shared them on his Facebook page, so you may be able to see them if you look him up on Facebook even if you do not have an account. If not, then I am not sure how else to do it, sorry :(

• 2 months later...

Ah - sorry: it seems the link works for me but for nobody else, not helpful! I have made the setting on the photos "public" and Johan has shared them on his Facebook page, so you may be able to see them if you look him up on Facebook even if you do not have an account. If not, then I am not sure how else to do it, sorry :(

Daily Mail article on line today helps: Alina Cojocaru puts the bowl among "her treasures to share" :-)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-2590794/English-National-Ballet-dancer-Alina-Cojocaru-shares-treasures.html

Edited by annamicro
  • Like 1

• alison locked this topic