English Youth Ballet

blackqueen

Lots of work involved. My dds did swan lake last year and it involved 6 hour days.  Little dd struggled with amount of hours involved but big dd loved It but she did coppelia the year before so was  used it it.  The teaching was fabulous and their confidence grew.  Very proud parents in the theatre.  Definitely worth the money and we are looking forward to them coming back to us in 2014.

• Like 3

My DD is also doing Swan Lake in Oxford and is this weekend performing with the Regoinal Youth Ballet which has had a similar rehearsal schedule, although this has been 12 hours each weekend for six weeks! She has loved every minute of it but has also been very tired. She is 9 years old.

She is very excited about EYB and not put off at all by the hours of hard work and she has made some lovely young friends during her time with RYB too. The overall experience has been extremely rewarding.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum blackqueen, my dd will also be in the Oxford production, and it will her third time with EYB. 

The rehearsals are very busy, there's several groups - everyone has a ballet class to start the day, and they then work with all the groups on the sections/dances they have been cast in. Often, groups are asked to understudy others too, so those need to be learned as well as their own, so there's never any hanging around waiting and getting bored. The rehearsals are usually about 5-6 hours and everyone's tired but buzzing when they come out!

How old is your dd? Is she looking forward to it?

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum, mumoffive. Yes, taxi is correct, whether the rehearsals are termtime weekends does depend on when the performances are. My dd won't miss Associates for anything so we always hope that EYB come near to us in the summer holidays! :-)

• 1 month later...

My dd danced the part of a cygnet with EYB in Preston and loved every single minute of the whole experience. This was her second time performing with EYB ( previously danced in Giselle in Manchester) The days were long but my dd learnt so much and made many friends. She also has memories she will cherish a lifetime.(me also)

• Like 3

We have just returned from the EYB Oxford casting day and DD has been given the part of a cygnet! She is a very happy (and tired) girl! X

Another cygnet here for the EYB at Oxford. Dd is a very happy bird.

Hi my dd was a cygnet in Newcastle and loved every minute, they had their own dressing room and they all bonded really well, it was a lovely experience and the other girls were just lovely too, I think even if she had been any other part she would have enjoyed just as much! There were tears on the last night as realisation set in it was all over! Bless!

We are sad they are not coming again this year! Good luck and if you get a chance to chaperone that is a fun experience too!

Ax

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

In current production at Canterbury, my dd is doing same as Lildancer's and she's 16. However, one of the other princesses/tsars sister is 13 - so age is only a rough guide to the kind of parts that might be offered.

For older girls there's also big swans and big Marinsky dancers. 

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter has just finished performing Swan Lake with EYB. It has been an amazing experience on so many levels. An incredible opportunity for an eight year old which she has thoroughly enjoyed from the start.

The EYB team are great and the performance was incredible. An unforgettable summer for us.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hello 

My DD has her casting tonight for swan lake in Portsmouth along with her dance school friends, which are the lead roles for the seniors are they the Tsar's daughters and princess's or the Marinsky dancers, I am sure they will all be happy with any part but they were all trying to figure it out Wednesday and as none of them had done swan lake they were not sure.

ukfloridagirl, I'm sure that your dd and her friends are really thrilled and excited to be chosen to perform with EYB. 

Please though, try and persuade them that all the parts are equally important and challenging, and that they will all have a great time performing in whatever parts they are chosen for. My dd and her friends have been cast in various different roles, and there's no hanging about - as everyone understudies other parts too. Everybody gets a lot of time on stage, whatever they are doing.

Also do remember that they will be placing people in groups and obviously they will have regard to height/costume sizes as well as the relative experience of all the dancers, so trying to work out which parts you would like to have in advance is probably not a good idea...!

Best of luck with everything, and let us know what happens :)

• 2 weeks later...