Adding tags

alison

I've done this totally by trial and error, as I couldn't find any relevant information in the Help files, but:

When you start a topic, under the box for "Topic title" there is a "Topic tags" box. Having looked in vain for an appropriate list of tags, as I've found on the one site I've bothered with them for, I've realised that the system here seems to be that you make them up as you go along. Presumably as we get more familiar with the workings of the site, they'll start to make more sense and we'll find some way of actually selecting threads with tags that interest us, but the tags seem to be basically keywords, so you could put in things like production name, dancer name, venue, company and so on.

If anyone knows more about the workings of tags than I do (hardly difficult!), perhaps you could share your knowledge with the rest of us :)

Alison:

If you've used Tags elsewhere, then you already know more about them than I do! But I'm wondering if the process can be automated as, back on the Balletco homepage, they have appeared in profusion under reviews and the like. Given that we didn't have them on the old forum, Bruce as editor has either undertaken yet another labour of love in adding them, or the new page has a way of doing that on its own. Maybe it has, but it's not a feature of Today's Links, so I can't say.

But seeing as we didn't have them before, what real purpose do they serve? Is it that they provide a rough and ready archive function in the absence of something more sophisticated, as we had before?

• 1 month later...

The system allows 'open' tagging, as a present, or 'closed' in which case only a predefined set of tags can be used. The prefix system which puts the first tag reversed out of a little box is neat and could certainly be helpful in Ticket Trade with BUYING, SELLING etc. I've started another topic here which shows that.

I don't think there's a way of adding tags after a topic has been started but it is possible to force people to use tags when creating a topic by setting a minimum number (at present 0). There is a maximum number (at present 10).