Elmhurst lower school

Dancingfeet

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dare I say Middlesex doesn't exist as a place it's just a postal address. It hasn't been a County since 1965. 

Sorry spent many years saying to people at work "Do you live in Surrey?" Their reply "No I Ilive in Middlesex" Which because of the area we were in meant they lived in Surrey. I know it's a sore point to some people to say Middlesex doesn't exist and I grew up in Middlesex the first now being part of London Borough of Richmond and then when we moved to Spelthorne in Surrey which is still a postal address of Middx..

Welcome Double Tour Have you tried liking Elmhurst/elmhurst School for Dance on Facebook, I know one at least 1 current Year 9 parent on their whose son will be in Yr 10 in Sept. My DD will be in year 8 in Sept.

• 1 month later...

Have any new starter s for elmhurst heard anything about induction day yet I know the date but I've had nothing about it , I messaged Bridget 2 weeks ago but they had nt decided yet on time s ect I don t want to pester her but I need to sort out leave from present school x or any idea on last years time ect also they mentioned a meeting ! X

Hi Dancingfeet. In the past the induction day has been on the Saturday of the summer show. So this year that's 6th July. It starts in the morning, they provide lunch and then you can watch the matinée of the show in the afternoon. Of course things may change this year, but I did hear that tickets were being reserved for new starters on that sat matinée. In the past Dancing Boutique have been there so you can get fitted with uniform. It's a lovely day, enjoy!

NL

• Like 1

Have any new starter s for elmhurst heard anything about induction day yet I know the date but I've had nothing about it , I messaged Bridget 2 weeks ago but they had nt decided yet on time s ect I don t want to pester her but I need to sort out leave from present school x or any idea on last years time ect also they mentioned a meeting ! X

We are also awaiting the letter rather impatiently ! Actually we have still not had the forms to fill out about the means tested assessment of what we have to pay ! Rather worried about this as we need to start saving !!

Anyone know if we have to come up with a down payment on the induction day ?

Hi Billyelliott, the mds forms last year were not sent out until the end of June and we still didn't know what we were paying until after the induction day. Its easy enough to calculate an estimate using the scale. I was only about £200 adrift. You pay in 3 installments. Prior to the beginning of each term by bank transfer or cheque. No money required on the induction day. In fact you leave with lots of uniform for free ! The summer show was amazing ! My husband said as we were leaving that it didn't matter what it costs we would pay it ! Feel free to pm me. Happy to help. X

• Like 1

Last year we had our MDS form just before half term and were asked to return it by 12th June. It was mid August when we had letter telling us how much our contribution would be for the year. You are then billed before each term and any extras (theatre trips etc) are added to the following terms bill. I should imagine this summer is going to be horrendous for the financial departments in vocational schools because for the first time they will be working out the means tested DADA for the new sixth form on top of all the MDS. 

We did the same as Cotes and worked out roughly what ours bill would be and it was fairly accurate.

It appears that some of you aren't aware of the School Fees Plan. This is a scheme which enables you to pay the fees monthly over a 12 month period starting in September through till August. Elmhurst allow you to use this scheme. SFP pay the termly invoice on your behalf then set up a direct debit with you for the monthly payment and charge you a small amount of interest.

You can look them up on the internet.

A cautionary note, often they are late taking the first payment in September with the busy time at the beginning of the school year and so two payments will be taken in October.

There are other schemes out there too, but this is the one we use.

Hope this helps.

• Like 6

It appears that some of you aren't aware of the School Fees Plan. This is a scheme which enables you to pay the fees monthly over a 12 month period starting in September through till August. 

How about over 12 years? We might stand a chance then!!! :blink:

• Like 3

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice , comments PM's and information a out starting out at Elmhurst !

Here is another question / request - does anyone haven't know of an older child , perhaps a boy that travels by train to and from Elmhurst , via London . If so please PM me or get in touch .

I have still not found any other new boys starting year 7 in September - are you out there somewhere ?

Hi Billelliott

Glad your induction stuff came through - it makes it all real and very exciting! This is the first year that Elmhurst have done the weekend adventure break for the whole of lower school. Previously (well certainly last year) it was a whole school trip to Drayton Manor. You will find that they offer lots of trips over the course of the year at the weekends so keep that chequebook handy!!

xx

• Like 2

I might be there on the induction day afternoon to see the show. Son's home from Estonia next week until August :-) and wants to visit. I haven't been back since last year's graduation day so it'll be lovely to be there again.

• Like 4

Hi mimi'smum,

My Son will be joining yr 7 at Elmhurst in Sept. we knew they had done the Drayton manor trip and were under the impression the "more expensive" trips only happened once or twice a year. If you don't mind, please could you give me an idea on what you really spend on trips? Thank you. X

• Like 2

We ve got our forms and induction info as well all seems very real now :) I've spoke to a few mum s about elmhurst and been told you have to bring everything home duvet s pillows ect every term :0 which could be a nightmare as I've 2 dd at different dance school s to pick up and single parent so going solo :( I wondered if there s anyone who s a day pupil who lives near elmhurst that would store some item s between holiday s for me :) Or does anyone know what foreign student s do to store big item s .I may need to get train sometimes so would nt be able to transport everything every holiday . Just trying to work out logistic s of having two daughters at different school s and so much stuff to transport :/

Hi dancingfeet, although my dd not going to Elmhurst, I have similar problem but was told as long as dd packs everything away in cupboard it should be fine to leave it, except for of course in the summer. Maybe house staff could offer similar arrangement for you?

At the school were at now and were my middle dd is at Hammond there ok to leave big item s there too which has been great as I can fit everything in one car but I've been told elmhurst won t let you leave anything as they do course s so rooms are used in holiday s :( I'm hoping some kind person might be able to help me out also to throw another problem in from July il be fostering babies so will also have a baby and pos pram with me as well x

Dancingfeet, I have two DD's at Elmhurst (one moving to another ballet school in September) and so I have sometimes struggled with emptying rooms, but have always managed by restricting what they take at the beginning of term, allowing more items to go to school as the term went on, then the reverse before the end of term....

They do have a storage facility for students from abroad to leave bedding and duvets which they will let you use by prior arrangement if there is a genuine reason. I have also used a "top box" for my car which really helped with transporting all of their belongings when I found myself having to downsize my car.

Even if the school isn't being used for courses in the holidays, you have to empty the room completely....they get a jolly good clean! The kids also change rooms each term and have a new room mate.

NL

• Like 3