The Metamorphosis - Arthur Pita - Linbury

The highly applauded Arthur Pita's The Metamorphosis returned to the Linbury Theatre yesterday. I am sure there will be lots of comments here. Meanwhile a couple of pictures from the General Rehearsal.

The%2BMatamorphosis_jr_001_meta_watson_1

Edward Watson as Gregor Samsa in Arthur Pita's The Metamorphosis

The+Matamorphosis_jr_099_meta_goldman_wa

Gregor Samsa - Edward Watson and Mrs Samsa - Nina Goldman 

More pictures on www.johnrossballetgallery.co.uk

I'm no "critic"but I watched this last night and found it mesmerising. I'm usually a "classical" ballet fan so this was a departure for me. I really only went because I know one of the cast, but I'm so glad I did. Captivating and I liked the bits of humour.

Anyone else there yesterday?

• Like 2

I'm no "critic"but I watched this last night and found it mesmerising. I'm usually a "classical" ballet fan so this was a departure for me. I really only went because I know one of the cast, but I'm so glad I did. Captivating and I liked the bits of humour.

Anyone else there yesterday?

Yes.  You should have said - I thought you were going later in the run.

Amazing images thanks so much for posting them, it looks like an incredible piece, would love to be able to get to see it myself.

My youngest dd (in Year 9) was supposed to be going last night (sunday) with several others from her school but unfortunately their transport arrangements fell through.  

She was very keen to go despite seeing some production photographs and knowing what the subject matter was - i suppose my question is, just how dark/disturbing is this work? She is a kid with a very vivid imagination and things that she has heard/seen stay with her for a long time. Would you think it is a suitable production for a 13 year old? Just curious to know people's opinions in case she gets the chance to go again... 

I hear they filmed on Sunday and it's going to be televised on Sky - does anyone know more? Sad that it wasn't one of the other days but it'll be good to see Laura in it as I didn't see it last year.

I went again yesterday with my son as my daughter wasn't well - didn't realise I'd bought seats for the front row! Amazing to see it up so close and well done to a certain someone for blotting us out despite knowing we were right there ;-)

• Like 2

I, too, managed to see it from very up-close in this run, and what a difference it made!  Last time around (and this year, too) a lot of the critics had commented on how affecting the expression in Watson's eyes had been, and I'd been sure I must have been missing something through not being close enough to see them properly.   I can now confirm that I certainly had been: from close to, it was an incredibly powerful experience, almost too much to bear (and it probably didn't harm anything that this was close to the end of the run rather than at the beginning as previously, so the cast were really into their roles).  If it's been filmed properly, it ought to be really effective on television: I'm only sorry it's not getting the nationwide audience it deserves.  My congratulations to the whole cast - they all deserve it.

Incidentally, during the insight evening the other night I got the distinct impression from Arthur Pita that some form of touring is on the way.  New York was mentioned yesterday: if that's the case, then I really hope the US doesn't have some sort of law banning or restricting the import of treacle (or black food colouring)!  I'm not convinced maple syrup would be as effective ...

• Like 1