Balletco Forum Available Again plus Opportunity to Discuss Future

Bruce

This is a message from the committee established to investigate the feasibility of continuing to run this forum.

The committee appreciates the many offers received over various threads regarding financial support, technical support and other forms of support. You'll see further down this posing that we are asking for people to come forward to assist on certain matters and, to help keep all offers to assist in one place, we would ask that you contact us again as set out below.

We have noted that in recent years the use of the ballet.co forum declined from its peak usage and usage has continued to be relatively low since the change over to the "new" balletcoforum. This is understandable given the other social media outlets available and so we would encourage all users, and particularly those who "lurk" to make full use of the forum and post.

A number of "lurkers" have mentioned to us that they think that either they "aren't good writers" or "no-one wants to read what I would write". If we have a strong community based forum then these points would be irrelevant; posting on the forum should feel like you're having a conversation with friends and, so, the committee would encourage users to enter into discussion and not hold back.

The committee notes that the number of guests reviewing the forum significantly exceeds the number of registered users online at any time. It is very difficult to gauge the real usage of the forum and whether guests are new visitors or lurkers. Given that the cost of the forum is related to the number of users, we would encourage lurkers to register (even if they don't post though we'd prefer them to) so that the appropriate level of usage can be identified and paid for.

You will have seen that the official "Today's Links" service has now been discontinued. There were a variety of reasons for this decision but it would serve no useful purpose to go over those now. You will also have seen that Ian Macmillan & John Mallinson have been providing a similar service on the new "Dance Links – reviews and features" forum and for that we as a community thank them; however, other users should not interpret this to mean that they shouldn't post links to reviews when they find them but very much the opposite. The committee would also encourage that this part of the forum is also used a place for discussion of reviews etc. rather than just a pure resource. This will add to the community feel which we are striving to achieve.

As we go forward, the forum will need to have administrators (with some technical nous about how the forum runs) and a team of moderators. If you would be interested in assisting on these fronts please let the committee know, either by posting on this thread or emailing on balletcoforum@gmail.com.

The committee also notes that whilst "Doing Dance" is the most heavily used part of the forum we do not have the benefit of input from anyone who regularly posts in that section. If you do and would be willing to join us to assist in shaping the future direction of the forum, please let us know (it would be great if any willing to do so were based in or around London).

To round up, the committee are continuing to discuss the forum going forward and are currently investigating the following matters in particular:

1) funding of the forum;

2) the technical aspects of running the forum;

3) an acceptable use policy.

The committee will be meeting again in the coming days and so your feedback on the matters raised above would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by bangorballetboy
  • Like 1

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding posting up additional links and/or comments to links already posted in the daily links thread...if I understood it correctly.... Since this is now encouraged ...it might help to state as much at the bottom of each day's list of links. Such as: "If you have any additional links to reviews or other dance news items, please add. If you have any comments on links already posted, please do not hesitate to add them here." Or some such statement. This might be necessary since previously (old forum) as I recall, comment in the daily links thread was not encouraged on that thread - but was urged to be posted elsewhere. Or did I get that whole thing wrong...:)

As for any help I might offer....since I am not London based (or even close) I can only offer my willingness to pay a membership fee.

Edited to add the last paragraph.

Edited by Anjuli_Bai

"As we go forward, the forum will need to have administrators (with some technical nous about how the forum runs) and a team of moderators. If you would be interested in assisting on these fronts please let the committee know, either by posting on this thread or emailing on balletcoforum@gmail.com.

The committee also notes that whilst "Doing Dance" is the most heavily used part of the forum we do not have the benefit of input from anyone who regularly posts in that section. If you do and would be willing to join us to assist in shaping the future direction of the forum, please let us know (it would be great if any willing to do so were based in or around London)".

I can't work out how to use the quote button or reply to certain bits, but anyway...........

My vote for a member of 'doing dance' to join the committee would be JulieW - she is very knowledgable and has been around a long time! :)

Edited by Ribbons
  • Like 2

Sadly, my technical IT knowledge is of the dinosaur variety (and my main background in systems analysis and design with database design thrown in) so is probably not much use to help technically with the forum. I'm happy to be considered as a moderator if I can be of help. I'm also happy to pay a membership fee in the future. I'm not based in London.

This forum is the most cohesive and friendly place to discuss and find out about what is going on in the UK and beyond. Although I'm a big fan of twitter and use facebook, it just isn't the same.

I hope everyone appreciates this board enough to keep it going into the future.

Sadly I do not have the technical knowledge to be able to offer help of that sort, nor am I based in London, but I would be happy to pay a sub in future. I am a bit of a lurker mainly because I do sometimes feel I have nothing to say that the many very experienced ballet.coers don't know already, but I would hate to lose ballet.co. I have not come across a social website yet which approaches the quality of ballet.co. The open rudeness and lack of respect on these sites, for both the performers and fellow posters, just amazes me. There is very little of what I would call discussion or debate. Trading insults and posting pointless comments such as 'I don't know who this guy is' seem to be everyday occurences. Why do they bother? I imagine that is why the many lurkers and guests look at ballet.co ie they want to hear measured views from people who know what they are talking about. I don't know the background of the regular ballet.coers but some I guess have ballet connections going back many years. We cannot lose this knowledge/input, so please lurkers and guests come forward, register and tell the committee how much you enjoy it, what you enjoy and whether you have anything to offer

• Like 1

I too do not live anywhere near London and my technical expertise is limited to replying and posting! Howerver, I would be more than willing to pay a subscription to keep ballet.co operational. Those dark, terrible days when I couldn't get my daily fix of ballet info still haunt me and I would do anything to avoid that happening again. You don't realise how much you rely on something until it is taken away. Can't thank Bruce and everyone else enough for creating such a knowedgeable and friendly site. I'm not a member of facebook and have no intention of joining even for ballet info. so this forum is invaluable. Long may it continue. Joan

• Like 2

To round up, the committee are continuing to discuss the forum going forward and are currently investigating the following matters in particular:

1) funding of the forum;

2) the technical aspects of running the forum;

3) an acceptable use policy.

The committee will be meeting again in the coming days and so your feedback on the matters raised above would be greatly appreciated.

From my own perspective:

I tend to lurk (regularly) rather than post because I tend to be somewhat overawed by the level of knowledge and expertise of others;

I will be more than happy to pay a financial contribution towards running costs.

Balletco remains a hugely worthwhile and appreciated resource.

Regards

Martin

Love the doing dance section as a hobby dancer and mother of hobby DD - time and tech skill are minimal but would willingly pay monthly fee to have the benefit of the wisdom and camaraderie of ballet.co.ers :D

Thanks do much Bruce for all your time and commitment to the forum. :)

I would happily pay a subscription,either monthly or annually,to see the forum kept up and running. I used to follow the old forum,although never posted. Have plucked up a bit more courage with this new forum, and have posted comments a few times. I see so many familiar names on an almost daily basis on Doing Dance, that i would be lost without it now. I live in Ireland, and my I.T. skills are minimal anyway. But as i said, if i can help from a financial point of view, i will be happy to do so.

As for any help I might offer....since I am not London based (or even close) I can only offer my willingness to pay a membership fee.

Me too.

I visit the site at least once a day but usually just check the News and What's Happening sections and don't log in unless I want to post something. I will now make it a point to log in every time. Balletco is my favourite dance forum and I would really hate to lose it.

I have few useful technical skills, but like others am very willing to help financially - subscription, donation, whatever is needed. I visit all parts of the site every day, and would be very sad to lose it. I do often forget to sign in though - and really only post when I have a ticket to sell/exchange.

Love the doing dance section as a hobby dancer and mother of hobby DD - time and tech skill are minimal but would willingly pay monthly fee to have the benefit of the wisdom and camaraderie of ballet.co.ers :D

Thanks do much Bruce for all your time and commitment to the forum. :)

Absolutely agree with this!

The committee also notes that whilst "Doing Dance" is the most heavily used part of the forum we do not have the benefit of input from anyone who regularly posts in that section. If you do and would be willing to join us to assist in shaping the future direction of the forum, please let us know (it would be great if any willing to do so were based in or around London).

I'd be happy to chip in from a "Doing Dance" user point of view (I was going to say this anyway after reading the above, and then read down to see Ribbons' vote of confidence - thank you for that :) - although I had to laugh about how I've "been around a long time" :P )

I'm not sure I'd be much use from a technical point of view (although I have a handy hubby!) but I would certainly be happy to help moderate.

• Like 3

I am certain that there are many, many people who'd be more than happy to make a financial contribution so as to safeguard the future of the site. Maybe the committee could give us an idea of the total amount which might be needed?

I wanted to edit the message above to add something but the editing window must be quite short. I just wanted to add that I've emailed to offer to help in whatever way I can. I hope that email arrived. Do let me know what I can do.

I too will be happy to help....not in London though (Dorset) but am ok around computers and if a bit of teaching me what to do goes with it, I would be happy to help in any way possible, This forum is absolutely invaluable to so many I am happy to do anything (almost!) to keep it up and running.

T

I'd be happy to chip in from a "Doing Dance" user point of view (I was going to say this anyway after reading the above, and then read down to see Ribbons' vote of confidence - thank you for that :) - although I had to laugh about how I've "been around a long time" :P )

I'm not sure I'd be much use from a technical point of view (although I have a handy hubby!) but I would certainly be happy to help moderate.

Ha ha! Sorry Julie, I meant that you are very experienced and have seen your children through from JAs to company audition! :)

It's worth pointing out, for those of you who've said they don't usually sign in, that one simple operation will leave you signed in permanently whenever you view the site. That way, you'll get any PMs headed your way, too :)

Thank you from me too. I do not 'lurk' on purpose but tend to forget that I am not signed in. I guess this applies to other people too. I hope the prospect of losing ballet.co will encourage us to mend our ways!

Hello All!!!! Dont know of how I can help other than subscription, which I would be very happy to do. Ballet.co has been an amazing source of information and inspiration. I have made firm friends and have a fabulous network of support all through Ballet.co and thank the site and Bruce enourmously. Long live Ballet.co

NL (Julie)

• Like 1

Regarding subscriptions, a yearly one might be better than monthly. Then you can pay and forget about it rather than having to make a payment every month. Also, that also would encourage people to "commit" to the site - rather than cancel after a month or two if that makes sense. Paypal is easy to use, I think, from a payer and payee point of view.

It's worth pointing out, for those of you who've said they don't usually sign in, that one simple operation will leave you signed in permanently whenever you view the site. That way, you'll get any PMs headed your way, too :)

Is that one simple operation clicking on the "Remember me" button or is there something else to be done? Because I've tried that but every time I close my browser window I seem to automatically logout and have to sign in again when I come back to the site. Maybe it's the browser that's the problem? I use Google Chrome. Thanks for any help, I'm extremely technologically challenged.

I also think an annual subscription payment is the most practical solution.