Sore toe and footcare help please......

windover60

I'm sure there are some experienced ballet mums or ballerinas out there who can advise......

My dd is in year 7 at vocational school and has developed a sore toe which is very painful both in flat shoes and en pointe particularly. It has been checked at school and is not infected. Unfortunately this has happened two Days before her appraisals and she is not sure how it happened. Does anyone have any emergency tips for now but also advice for good dancer footcare when dancing at that level ? Eg gels lotions and potions etc

Many thanks

If your dd is still in pain tell her to go back to the medical centre and ask them to look at it again. In the meantime ask if they will allow her to soak her foot in warm salty water for 10 mins or so every evening - 3 different chiropodists have given us this as their standard cure all advice. Plenty of padding around the toe until after the appraisal then see how it is. 

Where are you based? School should know a good chiropodist/podiatrist to give advice on foot care. 

Also try to get all shoes checked over half term, maybe her pointe shoes are not quite right anymore now she is doing more dancing en pointe.

Edited by Jane
  • Like 2

We have found (and been advised) regular icepacks and neurofen - good at getting any inflammation down and this often allows the affected part to heal by itself. But you have to persist for at least 24 -36 hours (not just do it once and then think that'll do the trick)....

But it kind of depends on what is causing the soreness. In my experience (it's a family trait so have a LOT of experience) ingrowing toenails which are becoming infected often look perfectly normal for quite a long time so this is a possibility- did she pull a hangnail at all? (the most common cause).

But agree with Jane, anything that persists for more than a day or so should prompt expert evaluation- you can't afford to hang around when they are dancing at this level...

Ice baths are great for reducing pain, swelling and inflammation. Take care with ibuprofen or any other anti inflammatory meds or painkillers (NSAIDS). Use them only when resting otherwise they mask pain which is a sign something is wrong. If it's a case of 'patching her up' for the appraisal or a performance, as is often the case in dance medicine, pain medication may be needed to get through the appraisal BUT seek advice immediately afterwards and never do it apart from on a one off basis (and even then I would rather it didn't happen but to be fair we all take the odd painkiller to get through something we can't avoid!)

• Like 1

Thank you drdance - yes I agree with you - it seems that the nurse is bandaging it up to get through appraisal as she hasn't had any real help with treatment. It is hard for me to gauge how bad it is and what needs doing from a distance - she is only in year 7 and it is hard to deal with away from home. Thankfully it is half term at the end of the week and I plan to get her an appointment with a podiatrist then. It is just a shame that she has to do her first appraisal with a very sore toe as she feels she can't dance her best!

My daughter uses boots own brand foot care products that contain antiseptic regularly she found it was nice to massage her feet and uses the spray to cool them down.they are a lot cheaper than other products. However avoids when she has an open cut; keeping the area clean and dry with a suitable dressing. She found that if she wears her pointe shoes in she doesnt tend to get cuts or blisters anymore so tends to have two pairs on the go.Be careful with anti inflammatory s a they should not be taken on an empty stomach and should not be taken if you have asthma. I would see a chiropodist if there is pain. We only had to wait two weeks in the area we live. A gp will refer.