News from Germany, Austria, Switzerland

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vasiliev was there, Osipova cancelled due to injury. I did not see it (nor the Goldberg Variations), but Vasiliev received friendly reviews saying that Prince Desire was maybe not the perfect role to show off his virtuoso qualities... He danced with Katherina Markowskaja, former Dresden dancer and now guest at Munich, where many ballerinas are injured, pregnant or off.

The ballet festival at Munich continued with Birmingham Royal Ballet, one more performance tonight with Checkmate, the Dave Brubeck piece and The Dream.

Kevin O’Hare was seen at the premiere of a triple bill at Berlin State Ballet yesterday. I suppose he knows the pieces by Nacho Duato (Arcangelo) and William Forsythe (Herman Schmerman) already, both of them are some years old, so presumably he was there for the new ballet by Marco Goecke. Maybe you should prepare for looking at dancers‘ backs and fluttering, nervous hands at the Royal Ballet. I fear for Clement Crisp’s health.

Principal guest Alina Cojocaru will dance "A Midsummer Night’s Dream", "Liliom" and "Lady of the Camellias", dates to be announced.

Do you mean that she is dancing them in Hamburg next season? I know that for the moment she is dancing again just Liliom. (and of course she is dancing the Lady of Camellias in June and A Midsummer Night's Dream during the Australian tour). I hope in many other Hamburg shows and roles for Alina :D

Do you mean that she is dancing them in Hamburg next season?

That's what the press release for next season said. In print, I can't find it online on the Hamburg website.

If you're thinking about visiting Hamburg, go and see her Lady of the Camellias - she is absolutely incredible in the role, the best dancer since Marcia Haydée.

That's what the press release for next season said. In print, I can't find it online on the Hamburg website.

If you're thinking about visiting Hamburg, go and see her Lady of the Camellias - she is absolutely incredible in the role, the best dancer since Marcia Haydée.

I was in Hamburg also on the 21st for the Little Mermaid :)

I've seen Alina and Sascha the first night and also on the 1st of November, this time with Silvia Azzoni as Manon: these three (and the rest of the cast too) made for me the best show I've ever seen in my life! I bought a ticket for the next one (24th of June) in January :D

I loved your comment on the first show (what a compliment to be defined the new Marcia Haydée by you!!!) and I'd have loved to discuss some things with you but it took a long time to return to this world and put together all my ideas! :wub:

I asked Alina about next season and she talked of Liliom only for the moment...of course I hope in much more!

Edited by annamicro

To be fair to Kevin O'Hare, with Polunin's departure and Acosta (and perhaps Kobborg?) winding down the Royal probably do need some new virtuoso male dancers who can perform roles such as Don Quixote, unless there are some at soloist level who I'm not familiar with.

Looking elsewhere for a moment, Cathy Marston's Bern:Ballett premiered a double bill "Lions, Tigers, and Women...." on 18 April. Her contribution is "Hunting Me" with a live band onstage. The other ballet "For Play" is by New Yorker Andrea Miller, who contributed "Howl" to the bill the company brought to London (ROH Linbury Studio) last May. As ever, the relevant link is all in German, but there is a short video clip with Cathy (top right) and, from what I can tell, the reviews look OK:

http://www.stadttheaterbern.ch/848-lions-tigers-and-women.html

• 4 weeks later...

Stuttgart Ballet has published its plans for next season. There will be two full-length creations by resident choreographer Marco Goecke and Argentinian corps de ballet dancer/choreographer Demis Volpi. Goecke will develop „Dancer in the Dark“ after the film by Lars von Trier as a coproduction with the Stuttgart playhouse, Volpi’s new work is „Krabat“ after a well-known German youth novel by Otfried Preussler about a young miller’s apprentrice who deals with Black Magic.

Two triple bills will include Cranko’s „Concert for Flute and Harp“ (Mozart), Jorma Elo’s „Slice to sharp“ (Biber/Vivaldi) and Béjart’s „Bolero“, the other one 4T by Balanchine, „Dances at a Gathering“ by Robbins and Glen Tetley’s „Sacre“. After 12 years, DQ will return to the repertory, it’s a classic version by Maximilano Guerra that comes with new sets.

There will be gala events for the 50th jubilee of Cranko’s „Romeo“ on Dec. 2nd, 45 years of Cranko’s „Onegin“ on Oct. 27th 2012, 100 years „Sacre“ on May 29th 2013 and a gala DQ on new year’s eve.

Principals Katja Wünsche and William Moore will leave with former resident choreographer Christian Spuck for Zurich. Elisa Badenes, Rachele Buriassi and Arman Zazyan were promoted to soloists.

The next season at Ballett am Rhein at Düsseldorf/Duisburg:

- „Concerto Barocco“ by Balanchine, „Kleines Requiem“ by Hans van Manen and a creation by Marco Goecke

- „The Leaves are fading Pas de deux“ and „Jardin aux Lilas“ by Tudor, „Five Waltzes in the Manner of Isadora Duncan“ by Ashton and „Johannes Brahms – Symphonie No. 2“, new creation by Martin Schläpfer

- an evening with new creations by Martin Chaix, Antoine Jully, Amanda Miller, Regina van Berkel and „Pond Way“ by Merce Cunningham

- „Afternoon of a Faun“ by Robbins, „Without words“ by Hans van Manen and „Nacht umstellt“, creation by Martin Schläpfer

- „A German Requiem“ by Martin Schläpfer

Edited by Angela

Oh, she's GREAT, a wonderful dancer in everything she does, if classical or modern.

Forgot something important for Stuttgart Ballet: they were invited to the Bolshoi in May 2013, they will show two performances of Cranko's "Romeo" and a modern evening.

Thanks very much Angela for continuing to keep us informed. Sounds like very varied seasons coming up; interesting that the RB is also doing Onegin next season. Respect!! We look forward to having some reviews of the performances from you!

• 3 weeks later...

News from Stuttgart Ballet: principal dancer Friedemann Vogel and (still-) house choreographer Christian Spuck have been awarded prizes for best dancer and best choreographer by the Italian dance magazine Danza & Danza, the first presumably for his performance in "Raymonda" at La Scala, Spuck for his production of "Poppea//Poppea" for Gauthier Dance which was guesting at the Festival Bolzana Danza.

All awards here

• Like 1

The programme for the Nijinsky Gala No. XXXVIII at Hamburg Ballet has been published yesterday. Guests include Ulyana Lopatkina, Diana Vishneva and dancers from San Francisco Ballet. Alina Cojocaru will dance in excerpts from Neumeier’s „Midsummer Night’s Dream“ and „Liliom“.

Complete programme here

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A new principal dancer for Vienna State Ballet: after the Nureyev Gala on Saturday, Manuel Legris promoted Ukrainian dancer Denys Cherevychko. He trained at Donezk and at the Heinz Bosl Stiftung at Munich, he dances with Vienna State Ballet since 2006.

Also promoted: Reina Sawai and Prisca Zeisel, Marcin Dempc, Greig Matthews and Dumitru Taran, all are now demi-soloists.

Principal dancer Shane Wuerthner is leaving the company after this season.

The Bavarian State Ballet are off to Granada to take part in the International Festival for Music and Dance. They are taking "Swan Lake" and "Steps and Times".

On their return just a couple more weeks of the season left with "La Fille" on the agenda.

I am fitting in a quick weekend to see "La Fille":-)

• Like 1

Shortly after the annual Ballett-Tage at Hamburg, highly successful with an audience attendance of 98 per cent, John Neumeier announced in a press release that this may have been the last Ballet Days at Hamburg, due to financial reasons. There will be no cuts in the budget of Hamburg State Opera, but an increase in pay rates for the civil service, which applies for most people working behind the scenes in German theatres, will cause huge financial problems for the Hamburg Opera House and consequently for Neumeier’s company. It will cause a deficit of 2.5 million Euro for his company or 50 jobs in the whole Opera House which he fears will also affect the number of dancers in his company.

Financial problems also for Martin Schläpfer’s Ballet on the Rhine which until now was playing in two opera houses at Düsseldorf and Duisburg. Due to huge financial problems, the city council of Duisburg has cut its budget for the theater cooperation by one million Euro, saying the will continue to have opera performances at their theatre, but no more ballet. A possible solution might be to work together with the town of Cologne, which has no ballet company of its own.

Austrian ballerina Margot Werner died on Sunday July 1st, she was 74 years old. She was a principal dancer with Munich Ballet from 1955 to 1975, regular partner of Heinz Bosl. After her dancing career she was a chanson singer and actress.