News from Germany, Austria, Switzerland

Martin Schläpfer’s Ballet on the Rhine had a press conference today and published the next season at Düsseldorf/Duisburg:

a triple bill with Mozartiana/George Balanchine, The Concert/Jerome Robbins and a creation by Schläpfer

a triple bill with a creations by Remus Sucheana and Natalia Horecna plus Lonesome George/Marco Goecke

a triple bill with Obelisco/Martin Schläpfer, Adagio Hammerklavier/Hans van Manen and Sh-Boom!/Paul Lightfoot & Sol León

Rossini’s Petite Messe Solennelle as a full-evening creation by Martin Schläpfer

a young choreographer’s evening

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A new ballet company was founded in Germany: Richard Siegal / Ballet of Difference wants to represent the off-scene dance for Munich on a national and international level, in a company with twelve dancers. They will start in October 2016 with an evening by Siegal and a workshop at Munich, followed by a Double Bill with two creations in May 2017. Siegal’s team includes dancers from Bavarian State Ballet (Léonard Engel, Katherina Markowskaja, Zuzana Zahradníková and ballet master Caroline Geiger – they will not be in Igor Zelensky’s new company, we can deduce…) and from the dissolved Cedar Lake Contemporary Ballet (Joaquim de Santana, Matthew Min Rich, Ebony Williams). Siegal was a dancer/choreographer with William Forsythe’s Frankfurt Ballet and the other contender, besides Igor Zelensky, for director at Bavarian State Ballet.

Good to hear of the new company Angela, it sounds as though it should be very interesting.  

I'm not familiar with the Munich dancers you mention or, individually the Cedar Lake dancers but I was fortunate to see Cedar Lake on their UK tour a couple of years ago and the dancers were truly fabulous.

Hamburg Ballet's season 16/17 is online: http://www.hamburgballett.de/e/index.htm

It brings a new Anna Karenina by Neumeier, his Song of the Earth from Paris and lots of his old ballets. Very few new dancers, as far as I can see, but Cojocaru and Ferri still guesting.

After his Tatiana I'm quite terrified at the idea of an Anna Karenina... To not talk about the Parisian Song of the Earth: it was so "well received" by critics and audience :o

The rest is more or less as this season...Giselle and Peer Gynt again :-( but I'm happy Duse is back: Ferri and Azatyan were great in the first cast and the whole second cast was great too.

Edited by annamicro

I forgot to write that Anna Karenina is a coproduction with the Bolshoi and NBoC. Neumi going global :)

I'm even more terrified. :-)  Tatiana was a co-production with the Stanislavsky...

I can guess Vronsky and Karenin names. I hope in the second cast...

Edited by annamicro

• 1 month later...

"The new director of the Bayerisches Staatsballett, Igor Zelensky, has revealed his plans for the Munich company: Yuri Grigorovich's Spartacus continues the Munich penchant for presenting productions which have broken new ground throughout the history of ballet. Christopher Wheeldon's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland will open the 2017 Ballet Festival, during which the Staatsballett will also play host to the Stanislavsky Theatre Ballet, with their performance of Mayerling. A contemporary mixed bill evening, repertoire performances of Giselle, La Fille mal gardée, Romeo and Juliet, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Symphony in C / In the Night / Adam is and La Bayadère complete the programm"

Personally I'm particularly happy for Spartacus and Mayerling, especially because even if the cast has not yet been announced is reasonable to think that there will be Sergei Polunin; those who saw him play both Spartacus that Rudolph speaks of it as something exceptional and the few videos I've seen him quite confirm...

I can't wait!

I hope also to see Lucia Lacarra and Marlon Dino, I love them toghether!

http://www.evening-kazan.ru/articles/vladimir-shklyarov-v-mariinskom-teatre-ya-uzhe-stanceval-vse-chto-hotel.html

If I've understood correctly,  according to the google translation of the above link,  Vladimir Shklyarov and Maria Shirinkina are taking a year's sabbatical from the Mariinsky to guest with the Bayerisches Staatsballett during the 2016/17 season.  

edited to correct link

Edited by Bluebird

Here's a list of the dancers that will leave Bavarian State Ballet after this season, published by the company today. It does not specify who quits and who was dismissed by Zelensky. 

Leaving among the principals and soloists:

Lucia Lacarra, Daria Sukhorukova, Ekaterina Petina, Marlon Dino, Lukáš Slavický, Cyril Pierre, Zuzana Zahradníková, Katherina Markowskaja, Léonard Engel, Stephanie Hancox, Ilia Sarkisov and Maxim Chashchegorov

From the corps de ballet:

Magdalena Lonska, Joana de Andrade, Martina Balabanova, Donna-Mae Burrows, Lisa Gareis, Nagisa Hatano, Julia Reid, Alisa Scetinina, Maud-Hélèn Treille, Ilenia Vinci und Marcella Zambon sowie Vittorio Alberton, Zoltan Mano Beke, Luca Giaccio, Ilya Shcherbakov, Olzhas Tarlanov and Shawn Throop

Many of them have found new jobs "in companies from Stuttgart to Tokyo", others will be teachers, ballet masters or freelancers. Zelensky promises that he has found "some extraordinary dancers in the last month" for the company, but their names were not officially published yet.

• Like 1

For Shklyarov, I can imagine that he could be happy to dance Onegin and Spartacus, two roles he would not get at the Mariinsky.

With Shklyarov in Munich I can see a trip coming :) How do casting announcements tend to work - is it in advance of booking opening ? 

• Like 1

Goodness me. That's a huge number of dancers leaving. What proportion of the company is that?

I'd say it's almost half of the company. Lots of new names to come... whenever Mr. Zelensky feels comfortable to publish them eventually :wacko:

• Like 1

How do casting announcements tend to work - is it in advance of booking opening ? 

No, that did not work until now, as bookings opens two months before the performance, if I remember correctly. But as so many things seem to change at Munich, maybe will get lucky.

Here's a list of the dancers that will leave Bavarian State Ballet after this season, published by the company today. It does not specify who quits and who was dismissed by Zelensky. 

Leaving among the principals and soloists:

Lucia Lacarra, Daria Sukhorukova, Ekaterina Petina, Marlon Dino, Lukáš Slavický, Cyril Pierre, Zuzana Zahradníková, Katherina Markowskaja, Léonard Engel, Stephanie Hancox, Ilia Sarkisov and Maxim Chashchegorov

From the corps de ballet:

Magdalena Lonska, Joana de Andrade, Martina Balabanova, Donna-Mae Burrows, Lisa Gareis, Nagisa Hatano, Julia Reid, Alisa Scetinina, Maud-Hélèn Treille, Ilenia Vinci und Marcella Zambon sowie Vittorio Alberton, Zoltan Mano Beke, Luca Giaccio, Ilya Shcherbakov, Olzhas Tarlanov and Shawn Throop

Many of them have found new jobs "in companies from Stuttgart to Tokyo", others will be teachers, ballet masters or freelancers. Zelensky promises that he has found "some extraordinary dancers in the last month" for the company, but their names were not officially published yet.

Does anyone know where Lucia Lacarra and her husband Marlon Dino are going?  They are so lovely together.  I remember - before Munich - when she dazzled with SFB ... and before that with Roland Petit. 

Edited by Bruce Wall

I'm sorry, I thought this was a fact. It is on the Russian ballet forums - I don't know if I'm allowed to put the links here, but they treat it like a fact. It seems she said goodbye on her instagram account.

Does anyone have any idea about the direction that the Bavarian State Ballet is likely to take under its new director?  It would be a great shame if the reconstruction of Petipa's  Paquita disappears from the stage or ballets like Choreatium and Les Biches are dropped and  are replaced by ballets like Spartacus. The change in personnel suggests that this is a real possibility.

• Like 1

I recently read this on Dance Europes Facebook page

Bayerisches Staatsballett has announced that 27 dancers are leaving the company at the end of the season. These include principal dancers and soloists Daria Sukhorukova, Ekaterina Petina, Lukas Slavický, Cyril Pierre, Zuzana Zahradníková, Catherine Markowskaja, Léonard Engel, Stephanie Hancox, Ilia Sarkisov, Maxim Chashchegorov, Lucia Lacarra and Marlon Dino. From the demi-solo and corps de ballet Magdalena Lonska, Joana de Andrade, Martina Balabanova, Donna Mae Burrows, Lisa Gareis, Nagisa Hatano, Julia Reid, Alisa Scetinina, Maud Hélèn Treille, Ilenia Vinci and Marcella Zambon and Vittorio Alberton, Zoltan Mano Beke, Luca Giaccio, Ilya Shcherbakov, Olzhas Tarlanov and Shawn Throop are leaving the company. As previously announced, artistic director Ivan Liška is stepping down after 18 years and will be succeeded by Igor Zelensky.

27 dancers leaving seems quite radical. Does anybody know if the new AD's vision differs greatly from Liska - or are the exiting dancers seeking new/different challenges - or retiring ? 

It does not always happen in Germany, but a new AD has the right to dismiss the dancers he does not like (or the singers or the actors - not the orchestra musicians though :mellow:). It can happen if the direction changes from classical to modern - or like here at Munich, from a mix between classical and modern to "purer" classical. Zelensky is likely to drop all the modern ballets by Pina Bausch or William Forsythe, he is also likely to drop the reconstructions because rumours say he does not like them. He is not talking to the press until now, only in September, and a list of his new dancers will be published whenever it is ready to be published.

Ellie, some dancers are retiring, others go to a modern company because they like modern dancing, to other companies in Germany or they become AD somewhere.

• Like 1