Where are the best seats for Swan Lake in the Round?

If money is no object, where is the best place to sit? I see Grand Tier is more expensive than the stalls that are closest to the stage. Is there a problem with the stalls seats? If in the stalls is it better to be at the back than the front?

If Grand Tier is not available (and if it is indeed the best), what would you recommend as next best?

Edited by toursenlair

Yes, if you sit in the first few rows of stalls seats the dancers tend to get in the way of your view a bit, which is why I always recommend people to go higher. OTOH, I'm not sure to what extent you have a 100% clear view from the boxes, apart from the loggia boxes. You could probably find out by going on the RAH website and doing a mock booking for something so you can see the view from some of the seats. Note that in previous years the orchestra has been on a raised platform in front of the organ, which I suspect doesn't do great things for the views from the Choir (where I think the legroom is still cramped).

Be aware that, while it is indeed an "in the round" production, it does tend to be oriented towards the "apex" at the opposite end from the organ, which is where many of the major entries take place. I think you now get dancers entering via most of the aisles anyway - or am I getting it confused with Romeo and Juliet? - but that's another point to bear in mind.

Do also be aware that, depending on box size, there are several rows of seats, and I'm not sure that the view from the rows behind is necessarily as good as from the front row.

Katherine: Whereas we had always previously seen ENB's productions in the RAH from Stalls seats, our most recent "Swan Lake" was viewed from the last Grand Tier or Second Tier box on the right of the seating plan, next to the Stage area, and I remember thinking that it conferred a wholly different, and thoroughly satisfying, experience. (And, taking Alison's point, I'm fairly sure we were in the second row of seats in the box.) A bit more distant than the stalls, but looking down into the mass of swans rushing in and then their formations worked very well - and I still recall Daria Klimentova emerging in a lift through a cloud of dry ice. Marvellous! (And now I come to think of it, this was early in her partnership with young Muntagirov, in the year when the rehearsals were recorded for that TV series with Derek Deane slating her and most everybody else.)

• Like 1

Katherine: Those box seats certainly made an interesting change but, for a once ever visit, I might opt for the closer-up view of a stalls seat. If doing so, please NB Alison's advice about booking some rows back/up - you risk having a group of courtiers or somesuch parked in front of you at times and blocking your view if seated too close to the front.

Katherine, I've sat in that area, but in the Circle, where I think virtually everything is a restricted view anyway. As I recall, it's not bad, but I'd probably go for somewhere further round away from the "stage", given the choice.

My best-ever experience was actually from mid-stalls, although that may have had something to do with the casting - seeing Tamara Rojo from that close, with all the detail, was amazing.