Ballet Black - Storyville Tour - Autumn 2012

Finally, and at long last, I have managed to see a Ballet Black performance! Last Saturday (10th November) the company were at the intimate 200-seater Stanley & Audrey Burton Theatre in Leeds. The performance had been sold out for weeks and there was a real buzz of anticipation in the theatre.

The first part of the evening consisted of three short abstract ballets. The first was Together Alone by Jonathan Watkins, for 2 dancers. They danced separately but at the same time (if you see what I mean) and only came together as a duet for the final couple of minutes. Then came a solo - Running Silent by Jonathan Goddard. It was movingly danced by Kanika Carr. The programme note states that it could be danced by either a man or a woman and I could definitely see Jonathan Goddard in it. The final piece was Captured by Martin Lawrance for 2 couples. Sarah Kundi and Cira Robinson were outstanding in this attractive piece.

Christopher Hampson's Storyville came after the interval. It is a dark tale of New Orleans and is very dramatic. There is a brief outline of the story in the programme and what I liked was that there was also plenty of scope to use your imagination. It is the story of young Nola who falls under the influence of a female svengali, Lulu White. Despite the affection of her lover she falls into degredation and despair with the inevitable consequences. Cira Robinson was absolutely breathtaking as Nola and Sarah Kundi was magnificent as Lulu. This piece allowed all 8 dancers to show off their dramatic skills and it was enthralling.

The whole evening was well thought out and I am so glad I made the trip to Leeds to see the company. I can't wait to see Ballet Black again!