Ballet Theatre UK Christmas Carol tour

This tour starts Friday in Cannock and then goes to Theatre Severn for two performances this Saturday 20th October.

Rest of tour dates are on the company's website BalletTheatreUK.com.

These talented dancers have been working very, very hard so please support them if you can and report back. I'm going to have to wait a couple of weeks before I get to go! By all accounts the costumes and sets are as stunning as usual!

Edited by hfbrew

What a huge tour, to so many venues! With the exception of the North East, they seem to be going all over the country. I'll certainly try to go along to one of the performances. A Christmas Carol is a good choice for the run up to Christmas. Have any other UK companies done it?

ahh, they've been rehearsing at the studio where I dance!! :D they took their lovely harlequin floor with them when they left this week to go on tour- i quite liked it, it was nicer to dance on than the wooden floor!!! oh well ;) hopefully i'll go to see A Christmas Carol sometime soon!

Northern Ballet also do a really good Christmas Christmas Carol with music by Carl Davis. I think it is or was available on dvd, with the incomparable Jeremy Kerridge playing Scrooge (easily the best Scrooge since Alistair Sim). I've booked to see them at Blackpool. Really looking forward to it.

People may be interested to know that Jeremy Kerridge was invited to coach the new Scrooges but unfortunately didn't have the time although he woulld have liked to.

Northern Ballets Christmas Carol is available on DVD, I just love it. But I feel that I must point out that Ballet Theatre UKs version will be completely different (different choreographer and music for starters) and is not intended as a copy of Northerns in anyway. Obviously I haven't seen it yet but I suspect that it will be as different to Northerns version as Matthews Bournes Nutcracker is to everyone elses.

Anyway I do hope that those going to watch Ballet Theatre UK enjoy the performances, I know that the young dancers will really appreciate the support. Its brilliant that Ballet.coers are so interested in supporting a new British touring company that is going to places that don't get that much professional ballet, which really isnt easy.

Edited by hfbrew

Everyone's support is much appreciated although I should like to put on record that I was very impressed with the high standard of this company before my ds joined it. I'd already recommended it as a good touring company for my young students to see!

Premier is tonight, its a shame I can't go. Monosyllabic replies to my texts- ds definately nervous. The joys of professional life!

• Like 2

The premier tonight was at our local theatre where we have seen ballet theatre UK perform twice before and my dd and I are so disappointed to not be able to go this time due to parents consultations at Elmhurst but an appreciative audience will be there from dd's old dance school! I echo hfbrew's comments that it is a fabulous touring company and as it tours smaller venues you get a very intimate performance which for young children especially is mesmerising.

Good luck to your son hfbrew - hope he enjoyed the opening night!

• Like 1

Two performances today at Sutton Coldfield Town Hall for Ballet Theatre Uk. Tel 01217046962. Just in case anyone is in the area! I'm afraid I have absolutely no idea how many tickets there are so best to check before going.

I'm looking forward to seeing the matinee in Solihull on Tuesday!

Two performances at Solihull Arts Complex tomorrow Tuesday 30th November. I've got my facts right this time as there was only ever one show in Sutton Coldfield!

I will be at the Matinee and if any ballet.coes go do say hi to the group of blubbing relatives.

Very pleased to see that Bishops Stortford (Friday 2nd November) has sold really well so far.

• Like 1

Having now seen this excellent production I can highly recommend it to the residents of Bishops Stortford which is Ballet Theatre UKs next stop on Friday 2nd November 7.30pm. As is usual with this company there are beautiful costumes, dancers and clever use of set which can dress even the smallest venues. And the music is seasonal too.

I do recommend a read of the programme prior to the show though, especially to children.

Well, we really enjoyed A Christmas Carol. A lovely simple setting, great costumes, and great atmosphere. The music (evidently from over 30 separate pieces of music) was well 'mixed' and added to the enjoyment in my opinion. It was good to see how the scenes led into each other - although we could have done with a balance of less of ghost past and more of ghost present.

In a week where ballet companies are worried abut dance not being taught in schools (shameless plug - www.class-dance.co.uk), supporting local companies as they tour can only be a good thing.

Not just that though, it was a good night out and just a little strange to have watched ballet and be home by 10:00pm!

Break out the mulled wine and mince pies.

Edited by Stirrups36

So glad you enjoyed it Stirrups, I did too and I totally agree with all your comments!

Ballet Theatre UK are in Bracknell tomorrow, nearly sold out I understand.

But there are plenty of seats in Blackpool this coming Tuesday, likewise Monmouth on Friday and Rickmansworth on Saturday I notice. Go on folks, support a valiant British ballet company!

Ballet Theatre UK are at Bury St Edmonds until Wednesday. Saw the production on Saturday and it was lovely, a very tight clean performance despite a tiny stage at Rickmansworth.

There is an excellent review from Blackpool on the company's website (blog page). Wish I knew how to do links but thought I'd mention it just in case anyone who has booked tickets wants to have an idea of the treat they are in for!

hfbrew - can you suggest they come down to the South coast? There are several suitable theatres in the Bournemouth/Poole/Christchurch area and an appreciative audience in this region.

I agree. Please do e mail them suggestions everyone, or even better get your local theatre to approach them. I know someone did this from Dorchester with the result that they are there on 19th and 20th December. And I will certainly pass on your suggestions pas de quatre!

Ballet Theatre UK are at Bury St Edmonds until Wednesday. Saw the production on Saturday and it was lovely, a very tight clean performance despite a tiny stage at Rickmansworth.

There is an excellent review from Blackpool on the company's website (blog page). Wish I knew how to do links but thought I'd mention it just in case anyone who has booked tickets wants to have an idea of the treat they are in for!

Futher to this post I've just seen a review of Monday nights performance at Bury St Edmonds on public reviews.com rating it 4 out of 5 stars which is very gratifying. I've been afraid to post a review myself as such because I couldn't possibly be objective so its good to see the company being well received.

Last night at Bury St Edmonds tomorrow, Wenesday 21st November.

Edited by hfbrew

I know how you feel Hbrew. I can never post a cohesive review of the Bavarian State Ballet. Firstly I'm biased and if Martin is on stage, I'm probably not watching the others well enough.

Really looking forward to Ballet Theatre Uk's the visit to Tunbridge Wells. Not too long now :-)