Abbots Bromley School

Picturesinthefirelight

My dd used to attend this school, but she didn't do the musical theatre course, she did the vocational ballet course until she left to take up a place at vocational school. I think the musical theatre course is quite new and I don't know much about it. The ballet tuition given by Mr & Mrs Alkins who run the dance school is excellent. However, AB is first and foremost an independent academic school, which offers vocational m&t and dance courses, which fit around academic studies, it is not a vocational school like Royal, Elmhurst, Tring, Hammond etc, there are limited fixed scholarships and the school is non selective.

That's sort of what I'm after. A school that offers good academics do that dd could aim for university if she wanted to but where she could study dance drama & singing to a high level to give her the option of drama/mt school at 18 if she chooses that route.

The school she is currently headed for next year is an independent selective school but dd us a bit of an oddball there. A lot of the other kids don't understand her passion for performing.

I think AB could offer what you're looking for in terms of keeping all options open. Their academics are certainly pretty good. Not sure what the musical theatre course includes, but the school also offers dance, drama and singing lessons separately (all at an extra cost of course) and they have an excellent choir. Dd was also able to take a number of Lamda exams when she was there. The music, dance and drama departments are very good.

I can only speak for dance, but there are girls for whom dance is a recreational hobby, some who prefer to do the vocational dance course versus sport (sport is dropped for girls on the vocational dance course so that all the dance studies can be fit in) and those like my dd who are serious about ballet/dance as a future potential career. I don't think there are any specific entry requirements. Best thing to do would be to contact Mr Alkins for a chat, he is very approachable, to discuss suitability for your dd.

• Like 1

It depends on age/year group, but my dd did roughly 2 open ballet classes (non syllabus), 2 Rad vocational grade ballet classes, 2 Rad recreational grade ballet classes, pointe (2/3 per week in year 9), 1 Istd modern class, 1 Istd tap class and 1 non syllabus jazz class ... per week. Length of classes varied and lessons take place during the day, over lunch time and after school. She was also able to carry on with Royal MAs on Saturdays.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Just wondering if anybody has any upto date information on AB Year 7 Pre Vocational dance course, hours danced, genres covered etc and wether the option of additional lessons such as singing, Lamda and such like are available (at an extra cost of course ! ) ? Looks to be a beautiful school with an all round appeal. Also any info on Year 7 audition would be very much appreciated if anyone can help please.

Hello Sparkles,

I've added the tag "Abbots Bromley" underneath the thread title - there are a few other threads about the school. If you can click on the tag, the other threads should appear as a list. Here's one I found: http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/1943-does-anyone-know-anything-about-abbots-bromley-school/?hl=%2Babbots+%2Bbromley

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We have a difficult decision to make.

We visited Abbots Bromley School this week and dd will be offered a place for Sixth Form.  It would be a full boarding place as we are some distance away.

We were very impressed with the school, in addition to doing a BTEC in Dance (equivalent to 2 or 3 A Levels), students also study 3 A Levels so they very much keep their options open. Some go on to further dance courses at 18 and others opt for university courses in a variety of different fields.

Dd is very keen and loves the idea of boarding.  We would have to give a term's notice at her current school by Easter so need to decide fairly quickly!

If it is anything like our local schools and colleges then the dance offered at AB goes far beyond what would be offered at a local school 6th form.  In my area the btec dance is a full time course not offered in schools but at satellite colleges.

I think its entirely natural for us parents to worry. My dd is going away from home in September age 16 to enter full time training and will have to do own food shopping cooking and laundry. Do I worry that she will be able to cope, that she will be homesick, that we will miss her terribly? you bet I do! However I try to focus on what I know she can do, that she has done residential courses since age 10 and been OK, that she is able to cook basic things like pasta dishes and that with all the great media tools (Skype, face time etc) we can all stay in touch. I do expect that she will be on a steep learning curve for the first few weeks and I would be astounded if I don't get the odd 'upset' phone call. However they all leave in the end so I guess its the most important part of our job description to help them go. Have you spoken to the school about how they help new students adjust to 6th form boarding as you surely can't be the first.

You might want to think about something like a SWAT analysis of the situation - sounds daft but it's helped me.  Or a simple list of Pro's and Con's for staying put or changing school.

Or - write down each of the things that is bothering you.  In itself therapeutic  Then what you could do if the situation arises.

My DD went to vocational music school unexpectedly for year 10, feel free to PM me if you wish.

Lemongrass - my dd started boarding Y10. We had all sorts of concerns and so far none have happened! ! Remember she is going to a school so there'll be good superevision.

We worked through a list of things for her to be independent in - changing bed, using washing machine, ironing, own bank account with budget to manage etc.

If your dd wants to go it will work for her. She has been to SS so she has a good idea what it'll be like. Could she go for a 'trial' night? Meet some kids in her year.

Good luck! If she wants to go you are doing the best thing for her.

• Like 3

Thank you for all your wise words.  Logically I can't actually think of any downsides at all, other than the risk that she might not like it when she gets there.  But you don't know until you try!

If she stays at home she will have the pressure of A Levels at school plus running around to 3 different dance schools.  At AB everything is on site hence no travelling which frees up a lot of time.

We're just waiting to hear about dd's A Level choices at AB; currently two of her subjects are in the same block but I'm hoping they might be able to move things around.

That's very true sarah

mnemo - thank you for your post.  I have no doubts that the school is supportive especially to those who are new boarders.  And even if dd had a few wobbles I think she would really enjoy the boarding aspect.  I know it's much shorter term but she has really enjoyed various residentials she has been going on since the age of 10.

As far as dd is concerned, as much as she feels AB is right for her, she's worrying about leaving her current school plus her dance schools all of which she really likes.