re RBS footwear

rachaelballet12

When my daughter was in the rb assOciate programme we got all her shoes from charades dancewear wolverhampton 01902 621122 very helpful and stock freed, capezio block katz roch valley shoes and a wide variety if tights if mention this forum they will also give you a 10% discount!

• Like 3

Hi, for Ja's I've bought my dd shoes from our local shop as the info RBS sent to us said shoes could either be bought from express dance supply or your local shop, I couldn't see any mention of make. I decided not to get them from express dance supply as I wanted to see what the shoes looked like on my dd feet before buying, we didn't buy freed as the katz ones looked better on. Hopefully they'll be ok!

• Like 1

Just wondering if the associates still have to wear the pink leather shoes. They never suited my dds feet and she would much rather have worn the canvas ones. Obviously the RBS correct uniform shoes must be worn. I used to buy my dds shoes from the local dance shop.

I know for the senior associates that you have to wear the Royal Ballet leotard, but for the tights and shoes, everyone wore their own. All the girls has canvas slippers and they has to have soft blocks. This year though the rules may have changed.

My daughter was in mids at Manchester last year and the teacher there hated the leather shoes. I know she asked if the girls could wear anything else and RBS said satin or leather but had to be full sole. They don't like canvas although that was what a lot of the girls would have chosen to wear. I think they suggest leather as it is more hard wearing for general class but they like satins for auditions/finals.Other mids teachers may have their own preferences.

• Like 2

I do think the full-sole/split sole issue should be dictated by the foot of the individual in question. Luckily dd's associates don't dictate shoe make or type so each student wears their preferred style and make.

I know there is a school of thought that says that split sole shoes don't provide enough resistance to work the feet, and supposedly make dancers' feet 'lazy'. I guess that's why RBS prefer leather too - it's a bit harder to make the feet fully stretch in leather, and they last. There is also the thought process that full sole allows a better transition to soft blocks and pointe.

Satin shoes also tend not to 'give' or mould with the shape of the foot like leather or canvas and can be tight in some places and baggy in others, and for some reason children tend to scrunch their toes more in satin shoes! (in my opinion).

Canvas split soles look lovely and in older children who already have strong feet there's very little argument for not wearing them but I agree that in younger children I like full sole leather for the added resistance when the feet are pointing.

Incidentally - RBS always used to have an arrangement with Freeds (not sure if they do now), and Freeds were the only maker who fitted the pupils at WL so it stands to reason that they may recommend Freeds for all of the school's classes.

• Like 4

Hello - my DD is going to get back into canvas split soles now she is not at RBS Associates. Don't think NB mind - DD hated the leather full sole ones.

Agree re you can buy the shoes and tights anywhere - so long as you have the regulation leotard.

F

• Like 1