Audience Behaviour

The thing is usually when there are dryers paper towels are often not provided so have to use own tissues but have never left in the sink!! My mothers voice would be strongly reverberating from the "other side" if I did that!!

I suppose the dryers mean one less daily job to do (emptying the bins) as they get full very quickly with the paper towels I suppose.

I'm not sure which of these is the more environmental friendly.....paper towels(recyclable?) no dryer or noisy dryer(using electricity) no paper towels!! Anyway for another thread I think!!

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The person who invents a near silent hand dryer will get my vote for the Nobel prize!!! The noise is unbearable especially if more than one going at a time. I often resort to tissues rather than start one up!!

I was told the other day about some restaurant which has a Dyson Airblade right next to the baby-changing mat.  Apparently it really distresses the babies, and who can blame them?

The other thing: all those people in the London Coliseum who use the proximity button or whatever it's called to turn the water on and then forget that they have to turn it off again, leaving it running until a sensor eventually turns it off.  If you turn a tap on, you turn it off again: why is this such a hard concept to remember just because you're using a button rather than a "real" tap?  It particularly annoyed me during the water shortage of a couple of years ago.

I was told the other day about some restaurant which has a Dyson Airblade right next to the baby-changing mat.  Apparently it really distresses the babies, and who can blame them?

This sort of thing happens all the time in public loos - usually the only available place to park a pram (let's face it, nobody would leave one unattended outside these days) is against the wall right next to the hand dryers. 

Edited for spelling

Edited by taxi4ballet

The other thing: all those people in the London Coliseum who use the proximity button or whatever it's called to turn the water on and then forget that they have to turn it off again, leaving it running until a sensor eventually turns it off.  If you turn a tap on, you turn it off again: why is this such a hard concept to remember just because you're using a button rather than a "real" tap?  It particularly annoyed me during the water shortage of a couple of years ago.

Oh, is it possible to get water out of these automatic taps? 

This is in response to claquers. Feel sorry for the dancers who need to get involved

with this system.

By the way I've only seen the Russians twice. First time a lady screemed during the

performance!!!!!! Second time this summer the applause went on and on and one felt

one should be applauding, even though we weren't overhelmed by it.

Next time I stick with RB, ENB thank you very much.

This is in response to claquers. Feel sorry for the dancers who need to get involved

with this system.

By the way I've only seen the Russians twice. First time a lady screemed during the

performance!!!!!! Second time this summer the applause went on and on and one felt

one should be applauding, even though we weren't overhelmed by it.

Next time I stick with RB, ENB thank you very much.

Was that during the Krysanova/Ovcharenko Swan Lake? Someone also took a picture with the flash on during the White Swan pas de deux. 

About two pages back I mentioned the problem of being swamped by large gentlemen and I do apogise - I didn't mean to offend anyone! It was just that the particular experience I had, it was a man who sat with overhanging arms and spread out legs and generally, I think, women don't sit like that. However, I do appreciate that seats can be too narrow and most uncomfortable for larger people of either sex (I always have much more leg space than my long-legged husband on airplanes for example).

I can remember when they played the national anthem at the beginning and end of all films and live performances. It was rather nice I think.

And just wanted to add that my 4 year old grandson is terrified of those Tyson dryers - I believe he thinks they're going to eat up his hands.

On a number of occasions over the years, when I have arrived at my seat the people behind have hung their coats over the back.  On several occasions, if looks could kill because I wanted to sit on my seat, then I would not now be writing this!

".....those Tyson dryers - I believe he thinks they're going to eat up his hands."

They are probably going for his ears, actually! (Just wondering if there are any cross-over boxing fans on here!)

Ha, ha.  Actually, if you look at what they do to the skin of your hands, he might do well to be worried!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

What are other people's thoughts on this? I have just been to see Wicked at Manchester, opening night of its first tour. The show itself was fantastic, it's just that people actually eat sockets of crisps, sweets and crackly bottles of drink during the performance. Worse still people also talk to each other whilst the show is on. I was shocked and felt like telling them to go and watch a panto. However on reflection it is actually the theatre selling these crisps etc in their kiosk, therefore promoting this behaviour. Very annoying when you have paid seventy pound for a ticket.

I so agree that it is maddening! In the last few years I have been seated in the same row as a persistent texter, a muncher, but for me, worst of all, a singer who reckoned she was playing 'Dorothy'! I am a fan of using the glowering look and the 'shhh...' But if this doesn't work, what can you do?

• Like 2

What are other people's thoughts on this? I have just been to see Wicked at Manchester, opening night of its first tour. The show itself was fantastic, it's just that people actually eat sockets of crisps, sweets and crackly bottles of drink during the performance. Worse still people also talk to each other whilst the show is on. I was shocked and felt like telling them to go and watch a panto. However on reflection it is actually the theatre selling these crisps etc in their kiosk, therefore promoting this behaviour. Very annoying when you have paid seventy pound for a ticket.

Tulip, as you can see there is an existing thread on audience behaviour so I have merged your new thread into the existing one. :-)

• Like 2

Tulip, you make a good point about the theatres selling noisy items.  Our local theatre had a phase of selling popcorn, fortunately that seems to have petered out!

I was at a performance yesterday afternoon and was set immediately in front of a school group; the children looked to be around 10.  It is all too easy to moan but there was not a peep out of these children who were obviously enthralled by the performance.  Well done them!

• Like 3

Children can surprise you!   I was in a performance of Cranko's Onegin for a schools matinee.  When poor Lensky came on stage in Act 1 in his white tights he was greeted with whistles etc and they started off bored and throwing paper planes at each other, texting etc. (I know because a friend was in the audience).  Anyway, as the performance continued, they got caught up in the story and by the last dramatic pas de deux with Tatiana and Onegin, you couldn't hear a pin drop.  The applause at the end was simply overwhelming and we all felt that we had brought something special to these children, who probably had never seen a full length ballet of that type or length before.

• Like 4

'Fraid so Tulip.  I think it was ATG theatre policy rather than the Empire itself.  The latest thing is the Ushers carrying icecream trays full of drinks around the auditorium, therefore encouraging the audience to drink during the performance.

In quite a few theatres now they seem to allow people to take drinks in in plastic glasses.  I think this is really dangerous as well as distracting.  I know several people who have slipped badly on spilt drinks.

Sadler's Wells allow drinks to be brought into the auditorium. I've had white wine spilled on my coat. I won't be contributing to any appeals for donations towards the refurbishment of the auditorium if I feel that it has been necessitated by this policy on drinks. I just can't understand why people can't wait until the interval to have a drink. It's rare that you are in the auditorium for more than 30 or 40 minutes at a time anyway.

• Like 2

Standards have definitely dropped, consideration for others has gone out of the window. I can't stand people crunching on crisp down my ear the best of times, but when I am caught up in the moment of something emotional my tolerance is being pushed to the max. I have got my tickets for Miss Saigon, I can't wait, but dread having to put up with the way things are now.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Went to the Lowry at the weekend, cups or glasses of wine are not allowed into the auditorium. Way before the show my daughter was checking her phone when one of the theatre attendants warned her that photography was not allowed during the show. Obviously we knew this anyway, but I think that it was great that standards are kept up at this theatre. A lovely modern theatre by the way. Good racking of the seats and no posts to restrict viewing. A nice bar/coffee lounge down stairs and lots of lovely restaurants around.

• Like 2

This may already have been mentioned already by others, but one of my chief annoyances is a fidgety lady wearing lots and lots of tinkly bracelets.  :angry:

Yes, there always seems to be a woman wearing tinkly bracelets sitting near me at the ballet.

A dear departed friend of mine used to wear a couple of bead necklaces that she tended to fiddle with.  It used to drive me round the bend but I never had the heart to say anything to her.  Since she passed away nearly 3 years ago, I miss it like mad.

In BRB performances I sometimes can hear the same rattling and I wonder if she is there in spirit.

• Like 4

I have a new hate: creaking fans. We went to Pisa recently to hear the Monteverdi Choir sing Bach's B minor Mass at the Cathedral and there was an elderly lady behind me with one of those really old painted fans. The kind that used to be made of chicken (?) skin stretched over wooden sticks. It made a grating noise every time she unfurled it (think fingernails on blackboards) and creaked loudly when she fanned herself, which she tended to do particularly in the pianissimo bits and in a very agitated way...

I couldn't say anything to her because there were no breaks, and glaring/shushing by people near her seemed to have no effect. Oh and she had lots of jingly bracelets to add to the joy.

That sounds horrible.  She seems to have been intent on providing her own percussion accompaniment.

I've never seen (or heard) anybody using one of the old fashioned fans, but I was nearly driven mad by someone using a battery powered one at a concert.   Like your lady, they always switched it on during the quiet moments, so that it sounded as though a swarm of mosquitoes had arrived suddenly. 

I thought coughing was compulsory at classical music concerts, especially between movements - although it seems audiences applauding at the end of each movement disrupting the 'phlegm fantastic' in recent seasons. It may soon dissolve into war with those determined texters/twitterers, as their glowing devices light them up as a target.

• Like 2