London Children's Ballet

Danceroo

I have just come across the website for the London Childrens Ballet and wondered if anyone could give me an idea of how it compares to an EYB production or if anyone has done it before. Any information regarding the audition process especially how many children might audition would be really helpful too. My dd is available to audition in October but is signed up to do panto when the casting day is on. Although that is me thinking ahead. !!!! But any audition experience is always beneficial isn't it?

LCB is a great company and they make the whole audition experience as stress free for everyone as possible.There are usually around 600 children at the auditions, split into age groups.There is a chance to warm up before hand and the audition is a series of enchainments to show a range of skills - adage, arms, petit batterie, grand allegro as well as performance and acting. There are recall auditions on the day and then it's usually a week or two to see whether you are through to the final auditions. Children for the main company (approx 55) are chosen at finals along with a further number to perform in the touring companies.The standard is high and quite a few vocational children attend.Both the touring and main companies are fantastic experiences in quite different ways.Once you have accepted a place in main company you are committing to ALL the rehearsal dates, so need to be sure you are able to meet that requirement, particularlyif you are travelling long distance. All the dates are clearly set out in the offer letter. The touring companies are run at intervals through the year, with a shorter rehearsal period - often over a school holiday.The tour perform an abridged version of the previous seasons production at a variety of venues and have a great interaction with their audiences.

The main thing is to enjoy the audition, try anything you are shown - smile, and not worry if you make a mistake.

• Like 2

Danceroo, my DD was in Rumplestilskin a couple of years ago. If memory serves me (and it doesn't always) there was an initial audition and then a few were called back but on the same day. I don't remember there being another audition a week or two later but I may be wrong. DD was accepted but also couldn't attend the casting as it clashed with nutcracker dress rehearsal. I rang to explain this and although initially they said "oh well next year maybe" within half an hour they rang me back and said they would accept her without attending the casting if she would accept a "corps" role. Which of course she did. So they're a LITTLE flexible with the casting day but not at all with the rehearsals. The only reason you can miss rehearsals is if you have a vocational school audition or you're dying.

It was a fabulous experience and everyone's lovely. But it's a big big commitment. Write off all your Sunday's from January onwards and your entire Easter hol. Definitely worth it when you see the performance, though.

• Like 4

In addition to all that has already been said, the children are very, very well looked after. The productions themselves are of a professional standard with a lot of very important guests in the audience eg Jonathon Cope etc. A wonderful experience but a massive commitment. The production my daughter was in was Ballet Shoes, and there were lots and lots of call back over a three week period I think, standard was incredibly high,

• Like 1

London Children's Ballet is a truly great experience and I would wholly recommend it. My daughters have both done it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Clearly it is a huge committment, every Sunday has to be kept free from January - April, but well worth it.

The auditions are in October, finals in November and casting in December usually. LCB gives everyone who has talent an opportunity to dance on the West End stage and the experience is almost free, as they are a charity. There is a nominal charge for shoes, etc. of £75 approx.

There are generally 600 children auditioning for 50 parts and the competition is high, but it gives the children an opportunity to work with choreographers from Royal Ballet, etc.

Not only do the children enjoy it, but the parents become part of the whole experience, working back stage, chaperoning, etc.

For us, it changed everything. My 9 year old got into Jane Eyre and we had no idea she was that good. From there we found out about JAs, our local ballet school would never had told us anything about it. My DD then got into JAs, auditioned successfully for Elmhurst, turned it down to go to YDA, got an MA place and is now an SA. Without LCB we would have carried on in the local church hall twice a week. Also, I should point out that lots of dancers from LCB have gone on to White Lodge and other vocational schools.

It is incredibly well run, the staff are wonderful and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

• Like 4

Danceroo, my DD was in Rumplestilskin a couple of years ago.

I think I know who you are Elly, and your lovely DD :) . Mine was in Rumple too - big and very purple mummy spider :P

To answer your question re pointe work spanner as a general rule the is no pointe work, but there are often some lovely pas de deux. If I remember correctly only one LCB production has featured pointe work - the most recent incarnation of Jane Eyre. Only for Jane and Blanche in one scene at the discretion of that particular choreographer.

• Like 1

Ah! Thanks Elliepops. That's one of the LCB DVDs we don't have. :-)

Incidentally, my dd's favourite ever Summer School thus far (apart from EYB this year which we are treating as Summer School!) was LCB's Performance Summer School where the students became LCB2 for a week. Seeing her really acting her part and becoming the character was a real revelation! The journey was a pain every day but she absolutely loved it, it really was an excellent summer school. :-)

• 8 months later...

For those who might not normally look at other areas of the Forum, a performance thread on LCB's "The Secret Garden" has been started, using some great pictures by John Ross, here:

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/3625-london-childrens-ballet-the-secret-garden/#entry42649 

Comment and discussion there, please!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

my DD is just starting to look at 'show' work and would love to audition for this... can someone tell me about the ages - what age can you audition from and is it the age on the audition date or the application date?

thanks in advance

Bo

Hello Bou,

This year's performances have just finished so audition dates and info won't be available yet for next year. LCB do run two wonderful summer schools though which may be worth looking at assuming there are still spaces available: http://www.londonchildrensballet.com/training/summer-school/

Here's a link to the audition page: http://www.londonchildrensballet.com/current-season/auditions/

Hiya Spanner,

Yes i am aware of this, we are planning a big holiday next year and i'm consicous of trying our best not to conflict with anything :)  if she isnt old enuf to audition for this (shes 8 this Aug) then i dont need to even look at dates etc